Snacking in the pm

How does one stop those insane cravings after dinner & once the clock hits 9? I would love to hear any feedback. I find myself just vegged out on the couch, having the most intense cravings for anything sweet & or savoury. I've tried chewing gum, but sometimes that just doesn't do it. I always try to opt for healthier alternatives..and I do refrain from buying new anything that's bad. Until the boyfriend decides to go grocery shopping. If I had the metabolism of that guy I would feel oh so blessed. HELP!

Replies

• TechAaronLoyd
    TechAaronLoyd Posts: 339 Member
    Air pop popcorn.
  • SmashleyBak
    SmashleyBak Posts: 12 Member
    Is Air pop a brand? Or type?
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited October 2015

Use an air popper with plain popcorn.

Also:
    - Keep yourself busy in the evening -- don't sit on the couch, find something you like to do that engages your mind and/or body.
    - Change your eating pattern to give yourself some room for calories in the evening. I typically eat ~1000 kcal after 11 PM, because I like to eat at night.
  • acnbds88
    acnbds88 Posts: 2 Member
    Baked Kale Chips
    It’s easy to eat a whole tray of these superfoods in one sitting—but hey, that just means you’re stocking up on vitamin K! The best part about kale chips (besides their addictive crunchiness) is that they can take on any type of flavor, from lemon to garlic to miso, and still be completely wonderful.
  • davidson1933
    davidson1933 Posts: 5 Member
    I wished I like the Kale Chips. Tried them and just couldn't take them but my husband loved them and ate the entire packet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I'm finishing The Power of Habit by Duhigg today. It's a great book. You can disrupt your old habits/cravings by modifying them. Are you eating out of boredom? Can you change up your evening routine so you are not so bored?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I'm finishing The Power of Habit by Duhigg today. It's a great book. You can disrupt your old habits/cravings by modifying them. Are you eating out of boredom? Can you change up your evening routine so you are not so bored?

^This is a big one. Modifying your day so that you aren't in the same mindset in the evenings can be really helpful.

For me, part of it is the hand-to-mouth movements that I'm so used to. Taking up something like knitting or sipping a decaf tea both satisfy that for me without the calories.

I also just save some calories so that I can have a snack at 9pm. Even if it's just some baby carrots or a cheese stick.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Following up on the boredom thing…I would recommend going to bed. If you are staying up late, doing nothing and that leads to snacking, go to bed. You might get up earlier (and more well rested) but you can use that time for exercise or something productive. You are unlikely to get up in the morning and idly snack!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member

^This is a big one. Modifying your day so that you aren't in the same mindset in the evenings can be really helpful.

For me, part of it is the hand-to-mouth movements that I'm so used to. Taking up something like knitting or sipping a decaf tea both satisfy that for me without the calories.

I also just save some calories so that I can have a snack at 9pm. Even if it's just some baby carrots or a cheese stick.

Careful with the knitting! Mrs Jruzer has found that it's highly addictive. We've got yarn stashed all over the house. :)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »

Careful with the knitting! Mrs Jruzer has found that it's highly addictive. We've got yarn stashed all over the house. :)

True story. Also, it can get to be expensive!
  • balboabilly
    balboabilly Posts: 39 Member
    I eat an apple and drink soda water. Both of those make your stomach feel full for a long time. Plan your snack to be at 8pm you will avoid cravings later if you feel full. Then brush your teeth hopefully that will trick your brain that eating is done for the day. Good luck!!
  • SmashleyBak
    Jruzer wrote: »

Use an air popper with plain popcorn.

Also:
    - Keep yourself busy in the evening -- don't sit on the couch, find something you like to do that engages your mind and/or body.
    - Change your eating pattern to give yourself some room for calories in the evening. I typically eat ~1000 kcal after 11 PM, because I like to eat at night.
    Thank you for the tips! Usually after a long day that's all I want to do haha so hard
  • SmashleyBak
    I eat an apple and drink soda water. Both of those make your stomach feel full for a long time. Plan your snack to be at 8pm you will avoid cravings later if you feel full. Then brush your teeth hopefully that will trick your brain that eating is done for the day. Good luck!!
    Thank you!! Yeah whenever I'm craving something fizzy I resort to Sanpelligrino squirt some MIO in it to give it some flavour..apples are very satisfying for that crunch reason and sweetness..
  • SmashleyBak
    Hmm I might look into purchasing that book. Yes I do tend to eat out of boredom, sadly. I work mostly nights so if it's not busy I'll eat at work since I work at a restaurant or just mow down wen i get home lol