Weight Gain Overnight

Options
So I'm kind of a nerd, and I've been weighing myself at day and night for the past 3 weeks. Everything up until today has made sense. Create a deficit lose weight. I of course noticed that every night I weighed more than the morning, but come morning I weighed 2-3lbs less.

I came across my first abnormality today though.

I weighed in at 215.4 last night before going to bed, but managed to gain .6lbs overnight making my weight 216.

How does the body produced .6lbs overnight without eating or drinking anything?

Replies

• Sweepypie
    Sweepypie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It could be water retention! That's one explanation! I only weigh myself once a week! :)
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Your scale and/or feet might have been in a bit different location. If you weight yourself 10 times in a row is the number exactly the same? I can weight myself multiple times in a row and get a +/- 0.6 lb difference (I only weight ~160lbs.)
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    udpwk3qg11ou.jpg
    _benjammin wrote: »
    Your scale and/or feet might have been in a bit different location. If you weight yourself 10 times in a row is the number exactly the same? I can weight myself multiple times in a row and get a +/- 0.6 lb difference (I only weight ~160lbs.)

scale doesn't lie, we have a weighted scale as well as electronic. Same results. If it were water retention wouldn't my weight stay the same? I didn't add anymore water to my body overnight, so if my body retained some of the water I drank wouldn't that weight stay the same?

My sodium levels were good last night too, below 2000mgs (most days below that actually). Just trying to get an idea of what happened to cause this anomaly. Not discouraged at all. Knowledge is power, if I understand how the body works it'll be a lot easier for me to lose weight. If it was potentially because I ate too much sodium for example then I could try to cut back on sodium (however, weightloss has been steady the past 2 weeks with my sodium levels almost never going over 2000mgs)

• desweds
    desweds Posts: 126 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Sleepsnacking?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Gravity got a bit stronger overnight.

Seriously though, this is one reason I don't recommend weighing so often if you are going to get bogged down by the details.

No, I can't specifically explain it, but in the long term, does it matter?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Gravity got a bit stronger overnight.

Seriously though, this is one reason I don't recommend weighing so often if you are going to get bogged down by the details.

No, I can't specifically explain it, but in the long term, does it matter?

No, it doesn't. was wondering if I could find an answer regarding this. Like I said, doesn't bother me at all :expressionless:

Oh OK good. I'm sorry I misinterpreted your OP as you're being concerned about it (I missed your follow up post)

Too often we see people get bogged down in the minor details like they that they lose sight of the long-term process that weight loss/management is.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    There are so many factors that go into scale weight that you cannot account for them all. Water retention due to exercise, sodium, hormones, or any significant change in schedule, poor sleep; fecal matter, standing on the scale differently, didn't urinate first, different clothing if you're not weighing nude; etc.

The two things you have to accept when losing is that if you're logging is accurate and you're in deficit, then that overnight gain is not fat and that these fluctuations will happen and sometimes be up to 5 or more lbs.

Keep on with your routine and it'll subside. Best wishes. :D

ETA: I agree that it's curious and I sure wish I knew exactly what was going on too!
  • kami3006
    edited October 2015
    Options
    double post
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations from one time of day to another are almost always due to hydration. While most of water transference from outside to inside is consuming liquids, our body is not a closed system. The air we breath comes into the body through our mouth and nose, that air has water particles that accompany it. Was there a drop in barometric pressure, or other factor that led to a rise in the humidity in the air? Did you happen to bath or shower before weighing, hair and dead skin can absorb water thus the wrinkled look? Were you wearing the exact same amount of clothing and jewelry? It is an interesting mystery.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    There are so many factors that go into scale weight that you cannot account for them all. Water retention due to exercise, sodium, hormones, or any significant change in schedule, poor sleep; fecal matter, standing on the scale differently, didn't urinate first, different clothing if you're not weighing nude; etc.

The two things you have to accept when losing is that if you're logging is accurate and you're in deficit, then that overnight gain is not fat and that these fluctuations will happen and sometimes be up to 5 or more lbs.

Keep on with your routine and it'll subside. Best wishes. :D

ETA: I agree that it's curious and I sure wish I knew exactly what was going on too!

I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen this happen to me and I can't remember a time. I've certainly seen nights where I've stayed almost the same but never an actual gain. The thing that's most odd is that it's not a mere .6 pounds we're talking about, it's the amount you usually lose PLUS .6 pounds.

Kami3006 is right, though, it's definitely not fat and not anything to be concerned about. I'm betting you see that loss added to today's.

Did you do anything unusual between weighing yourself and climbing into bed? Slather on a couple of pounds of lotion, perhaps?
  • kami3006
    Options
    The days after I lift, I am always up 2 to 3 pounds. The next morning it's gone.
  • SueInAz
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Weight fluctuations from one time of day to another are almost always due to hydration. While most of water transference from outside to inside is consuming liquids, our body is not a closed system. The air we breath comes into the body through our mouth and nose, that air has water particles that accompany it. Was there a drop in barometric pressure, or other factor that led to a rise in the humidity in the air? Did you happen to bath or shower before weighing, hair and dead skin can absorb water thus the wrinkled look? Were you wearing the exact same amount of clothing and jewelry? It is an interesting mystery.

My thinking was somewhere along the same lines but then I wasn't sure how to express it without it coming out oddly. You did great.

I was also wondering if it were unusually hot and humid. I weigh myself a lot because I find it interesting. I weigh myself before a run and then after to determine how much water I need to drink to replace what I lost in sweat. It's usually hot and dry here so that can be a couple of pounds. I'll sometimes weigh myself after I shower, too. What I've found is that after I've cooled and dried off from a run and before I shower, I'll weigh about .5 pound more than after I shower and dry off. I figure that's salt and stuff sitting on my skin and in my hair from sweating.
  • SueInAz
    Options
    The days after I lift, I am always up 2 to 3 pounds. The next morning it's gone.

Me, too, but that's from morning to morning, a 24 hour period, and the weight lifting was in between. I've never had my weight go up in the 8 hours between the time I climb into bed and I wake up in the morning.
  • kami3006
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Me, too, but that's from morning to morning, a 24 hour period, and the weight lifting was in between. I've never had my weight go up in the 8 hours between the time I climb into bed and I wake up in the morning.

Gotcha. Yeah, I am not one for weighing at night for any reason so I can't say if it's happened or not. LOL
  • SueInAz
    edited October 2015
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

My thinking was somewhere along the same lines but then I wasn't sure how to express it without it coming out oddly. You did great.

I was also wondering if it were unusually hot and humid. I weigh myself a lot because I find it interesting. I weigh myself before a run and then after to determine how much water I need to drink to replace what I lost in sweat. It's usually hot and dry here so that can be a couple of pounds. I'll sometimes weigh myself after I shower, too. What I've found is that after I've cooled and dried off from a run and before I shower, I'll weigh about .5 pound more than after I shower and dry off. I figure that's salt and stuff sitting on my skin and in my hair from sweating.

It rained last night, but it's fairly cold up here. Always weigh myself with the same clothes. Always before I shower. I did lift weights last night but like I said I weighed in after the workout and expected to weigh less in the morning like most other nights. Thanks for the information though I'll be sure to pay attention to my environment as well when noting the changes in weight. Maybe there's something to it.

If it was raining, and you were wearing clothes on the scale, it could be that the clothes themselves were holding moisture from the high humidity. I'd suggest always weighing yourself in only underwear or nothing at all.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    It's all a bunch of hocus pocus. No one knows how weight loss works. Even the almighty flexible dieting needs magical terms like "whoosh" or "just keep at it" to be remotely applicable.