need some motivation

Options
sureokalright
sureokalright Posts: 1 Member
edited October 2015 in Motivation and Support
every time i have tried to get healthy and shed a few pounds in the past, i always got demotivated and stopped. i really want to do it this time. any tips for how to deal with demotivation and bored or stress eating?

Replies

• HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Maybe time to work on the deeper issues as to why this pattern keeps de-railing you. Get as much outside support as you need.

Motivation can wax and wane.....persistence, patience and commitment to realistic goals that you can achieve every single day will get you through more successfully.

Start out breaking it ALL into steps:

Logging and weighing your food....get that under your belt and make it part of daily life just like brushing your teeth.
    Make your deficit manageable and be aware that weight loss is never linear and there will be times you stall, temporarily gain...learn to accept this as part of the journey......if your logging is sound weight loss will occur.
    Don't fall for quick fixes or go for radical eating plans that you don't see yourself continuing...
    Use distraction for the bored/stressed eating....go for a walk, paint your nails, have a glass of water....again ask yourself what feelings are you trying to soothe with food and ask question its effectiveness.

Read the recommended stickies on MFP...in fact read all that you can on MFP and get yourself some support with like minded friends that can give you back-up.

When you are ready you will commit.....until then this pattern will probably persist so realise that you ARE in control and you have the power to do this for you and of course you thoroughly deserve the health benefits that come from being a healthy weight.

Good Luck.

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    The best quote I heard early on was this: "Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."

You can't expect to always wake up being like, "yay, weight loss!" It just won't happen like that. It's not realistic.

But when you just make something part of your daily habits, it will be like brushing your teeth -- something you do without really thinking about it, just because. I mean, abstractly, you know that you have to brush your teeth to prevent tooth decay, just as you have to stick to your calories to lose weight. But it sort of fades into the background, because you do it without thinking about it.

If you pre-plan and pre-log your meals in your food diary, then you can just make it a rule not to eat anything unless it's been pre-logged. That keeps you mindful. If you're tempted to eat because you're bored or stressed, just eat what's in your diary. If it's not in your diary, do something else instead.

I know that sounds like I'm oversimplifying. And truth be told, you will stumble at times. But you can always get back on the horse if you do. Don't use one derailment as an excuse to quit. Just get back to it.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Excellent advice from the first two responses. In addition, read the "Success Stories" thread. There are many congratulatory follow-up posts, but inevitably someone will ask "how did you do it?". Then read the OPs response to those. Lots of different tips and methods you can try for yourself and see what works. Just stick with it and be consistent and don't wait around for a magic moment to get you moving.
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Baby steps and friends for support and motivation. Please feel free to add me, I'm happy to help.
  • BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Try looking at the "just for today daily commitment thread". It is in the motivating and support section.

It is a very positive group that lifts me when I'm low and keeps me on the right track, one day at a time.