better to avoid sugar all together?

Options
Hi, i am addicted to food, especially sugar!..i am having a real hard time controlling myself these days around sweets..my question is..is it better to avoid all sugars or try and do in moderation (even tho i can't)

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Cutting out all sugars is pretty hard, that would mean cutting out dairy, fruit, some veges, bread and lots more stuff that is really quite good for you.
    Cutting out cakes, biscuits/cookies, candy/lollies etc is a really good idea - I don't buy them so I don't have them at home to tempt me and if they are there when I'm at work or out, I try to walk away or put them away. I find that out of sight, out of mind certainly helps.

I also found that I've been able to cut down (not out, but down!) my sweet snacks by pre-planning healthy snacks.
    Things like grapes, cherry tomatoes, snow peas, crackers and cheese, hommous and veggie sticks, almonds, milk with cocoa/cinammon (no sugar) make great snacks and if you portion them out ahead of time it is easier to stick to a limited amount.
    Good luck!
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I tended to cut out whatever I can't seem to control myself with. Eventually I've learned portion control, but there are certain foods I just can't bring into the house... depriving yourself is a sure fire way to binge- so if you live with someone maybe you should let them ration out portion sizes so you can still get the sweets, but not going crazy on em :)
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Moderation is best...but like you, it's something I'm just not good at. I'm very 'all or nothing' which is not healthy, but it's the only way I can keep on the straight and narrow. At the moment, I'm trying the Dukan Diet (I know loads of people might think it's stupid but I think it's ideal for me) - cutting out sugar and hopefully breaking habits: my method of dealing with my sugar dependency was eating fruit - healthy, but still loads of sugar.

If you want the info, you can add me and I'll tell you, but it's basically all on Google - unlimited protein only for a while, then begin introducing stuff. Similar to Atkins, but without the fat.
  • peachlow
    peachlow Posts: 91
    Options
    I love sugar too...& sodium isn't far from my list....its addicting....

The Best Way to Eliminate Sugar From Your Diet

The primary goal of eliminating sugar and refined carbohydrates from your diet is to promote excellent health. By eating natural whole foods such as meat, fruit and vegetables, you’ll be supporting your health and eliminating sugar and refined carbohydrates at the same time. Because these whole foods don’t contain processed sugar or refined carbohydrates, no additional effort is needed to avoid them.

Ask yourself if the food item existed 10,000 years ago. If they didn’t, or if they’re packaged in plastic or a box, they’re likely to contain sugar and refined carbohydrates.

After being spoiled by the convenience of processed foods, many people have a difficult time following a healthy diet because of the additional preparation that whole foods tend to require. By preparing a number of meals in advance, you’ll always have healthy food available to you regardless of how little time or energy you have for food preparation. In fact, if you don’t mind freezing your meals, you can even prepare enough food in advance for an entire week.

Some pointers:
    1. Avoid processed beverages
    2. If you buy processed foods know how to read your labels....(FYI=flour isn't your friend)
    3. Avoid artificial sweetners
    4. Be cautious with some fruits
    5. Eat more whole foods...

Hope this helps....REMEMBER...GIVE YOURSELF SOME TIME....INVESTIGATE...KNOW YOUR BODY...MAKE SURE YOU'VE CLEARED WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN BEFORE CUTTING ALL YOUR SUGAR OUT ESP IF YOU ARE HYPOGLYCEMIC....
  • peachlow
    peachlow Posts: 91
    Options
    I love sugar too...& sodium isn't far from my list....its addicting....

The Best Way to Eliminate Sugar From Your Diet

The primary goal of eliminating sugar and refined carbohydrates from your diet is to promote excellent health. By eating natural whole foods such as meat, fruit and vegetables, you’ll be supporting your health and eliminating sugar and refined carbohydrates at the same time. Because these whole foods don’t contain processed sugar or refined carbohydrates, no additional effort is needed to avoid them.

Ask yourself if the food item existed 10,000 years ago. If they didn’t, or if they’re packaged in plastic or a box, they’re likely to contain sugar and refined carbohydrates.

After being spoiled by the convenience of processed foods, many people have a difficult time following a healthy diet because of the additional preparation that whole foods tend to require. By preparing a number of meals in advance, you’ll always have healthy food available to you regardless of how little time or energy you have for food preparation. In fact, if you don’t mind freezing your meals, you can even prepare enough food in advance for an entire week.

Some pointers:
    1. Avoid processed beverages
    2. If you buy processed foods know how to read your labels....(FYI=flour isn't your friend)
    3. Avoid artificial sweetners
    4. Be cautious with some fruits
    5. Eat more whole foods...

Hope this helps....REMEMBER...GIVE YOURSELF SOME TIME....INVESTIGATE...KNOW YOUR BODY...MAKE SURE YOU'VE CLEARED WITH YOUR PHYSICIAN BEFORE CUTTING ALL YOUR SUGAR OUT ESP IF YOU ARE HYPOGLYCEMIC....:drinker:
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I avoid anything I have no control over, but sugar would be pretty hard since it's in pretty much everything. What you can do is avoid refined sugars and processed foods, including sodas that contain sugars. I fine when I eat these things it triggers my cravings for sweets. It makes it difficult to appreciate water because my taste buds are always looking for sweets and I can't control myself around candy bars and the like. When I gave up refined white sugar, processed foods and sodas, the natural sugars in food, especially fruit were often enough to satisfy me. Not only that I could have an occasional sweet treat, like a sorbet, and be satisfied without overeating.