bathingsuits ...

Options
I am posting here in desperation ... I have, for the most part, struggled with my weight for a good part of my life. Myfitnesspal has helped me loose over 30 pounds and counting, and what a challenge and achievement that has been!
My problem lays in the fact that in under 2 months I will be joining my boyfriend and his family on a beautiful vacation on a little island in the Caribbean - what a perfect way to end the year :)
BUT - because I have always been so unhappy with my appearance I have not gone swimming or worn a bathing suit for over 10 years. Needless to say, it is causing me to feel very anxious and insecure.
Would anyone have some recommendations about what I can do to feel less anxious when wearing a swimsuit? As well, any ideas or help in the ways of online websites/stores that sell bathing suits that are appropriate for a 25 year old (not a string bikini or something that leaves my butt checks hanging out hehe), something youthful, but also something that has a bit more control and thicker straps?
Thank you in advance :)

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Lift weights (heavy for you) and eat at a small deficit. Not sure what you are doing for fitness at this point.

If you are new to lifting check out starting strength, new rules of lifting, strong curves or stronglifts 5x5 to get a program.
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Try a tankini. It's two pieces and the bottoms give full rear coverage. Kind of like wearing a tank top and briefs or boyshorts in the water. I have two that I just bought this past year and I love them! They also give you the convenience of a bikini but the coverage and camoflage of a tank. You can also get them with tummy control.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Tankinis are great. To gt an idea of the options, you can mix & match tops & bottoms at Landsend.com .
  • lhtbuzz123
    lhtbuzz123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Don't know where you are in the world or your size, but age 24 & size 18, I ended up going for something like this - http://www.bonmarche.co.uk/swimwear/large-spot-print-swimdress/invt/17681453

A swimdress. It's a bit like a regular costume underneith, but the outer floaty dressy bit helped disguise parts I was self-conscious about (you don't get the cling to tummy effect).
  • Somebody_Loved
    Somebody_Loved Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Have you heard of Magic Suit? They're slimming suits that add structure and look great.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/sr/Magic-Suit

And congrats on your loss! I understand the anxiety that comes along with bathing suit territory but try not to be too hard on yourself. The Caribbean is much too beautiful a place to be worried about how you look the whole time. Buy something that makes you feel good and go enjoy yourself!
  • ActiveApril
    ActiveApril Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Land's End has a very nice collection of suits - one piece or mix and match 2 piece (including tankini style and swim skirts) that are modern but modest/comfortable - hopefully they are still selling them despite the season.

As for feeling comfortable - that takes practice :smile: I always remind myself that I don't sit around looking at others and judging how they look in their suit - there's no reason to think that others would be doing that to me.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I wear tankinis with s skirted bottom I like the 2 piece bc it's easier in the bathroom but has the full coverage of a one piece without making me look too old.
    Check if there's a site for the store "everything but water ". It's a bit pricey but the suits are gorgeous. I'll check the brands on mine. I'm going to Mexico next week.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into a progressive lifting program?
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    bronizzle wrote: »
    I have not gone swimming or worn a bathing suit for over 10 years. Needless to say, it is causing me to feel very anxious and insecure.

First of all, it's a swimsuit, not a bathing suit unless you really wear clothes in the bath. Secondly you can find swimsuits with varying coverage for the bottom half. I'm sure you'll find what you want.
  • _SummerGirl_
    _SummerGirl_ Posts: 3,791 Member
    Options
    Lands end, anne cole, and Victoria secret have pretty good supportive suits that are still stylish but sturdy.

Often the ones in the malls are cheaply made - except anne cole
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I went to Hawaii for the first time ever at my highest weight of 300. I felt extremely self concious. On every corner there is someone selling beautiful tropical colored sarongs. I bought about 10!

You can wear them a thousand ways and it really helped me feel better to be able to cover up a little but still feel like I was dressed appropriately on the beach.

Now, 2 years later, I weigh 198 and when I went to Florida this summer I took all my scarves with me. I still have lots of weight to loose but I was rocking the tropical look on the beach and it felt great.

I would suggest that you take a few with you to go with whatever bathing suit you choose!
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    Swimsuitsforall.com is great.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Tankini or swim dress. Chill out and enjoy your holiday. Regardless of age find some cute ones and display your hard work.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    When I went on a Caribbean cruise, I was so body-conscious and worried about the whole swimsuit experience! There were just as many Europeans on the cruise as Americans. They tended to be much more secure and less body-conscious. They just let it all hang out and walked around with so much confidence! I quickly realized that the only person really paying attention to my body and judging me was me!
  • penguinparty510
    penguinparty510 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have to second the suggestion for Lands End. Look in their sale section for great prices. You can get anything from a bikini to tanking to swim dress. Also don't forget the cover up, a sarong or a robe or a tunic. That can help ease into the feeling of being undressed ☺
  • ephiemarie
    ephiemarie Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I love my J. Crew ruched bandeau and ruched halter one-pieces. They're classic and subtly sexy, while still being comfortable. I got them new on Ebay for reasonable prices. In my experience, the J. Crew size chart online is accurate.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    A couple of nice sarongs or beach cover ups are a great packing choice. I love the water, and dive in any chance I get--regardless if my size. But for both sun safety and my own body consciousness, as soon as I get out, I toss on a lightweight cover up with long sleeves.