Eating clean with an open diary?

Options
Hi all,
Is there anyone out there who is eating clean and has an open diary?
I need serious inspiration!
Tia

Replies

• LeahMaria26
    LeahMaria26 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I eat clean 85% of the time. I'm pretty good during the week :)

My diary is open, add me if you like. I enjoy looking through others diaries too
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by eating clean?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I never know what people mean by eating clean, and I don't use the term myself (or much like it).

However, I do a lot of home cooking from whole ingredients and eat generally a nutrition-conscious diet with lots of vegetables. (I also get a lot of my vegetables/fruits, eggs, and meat from local farms.)

On the other hand, I have dessert after dinner about every other day and sometimes buy lunch, although from places that have food consistent with what I would make for myself. I've also been known to have some occasional protein powder, and I eat processed foods like cottage cheese and yogurt and smoked salmon (as well as ice cream).

So those disclaimers aside, my diary is open. I've only just restarted logging this week after being really spotty about it (days with 600 calories are due to that, not undereating). If you go back before this past summer I was really consistent most of the time (especially when I was actively losing through the end of January), so that might give you an idea. I've done a variety of different calorie goals, starting with 1250, going to 1250 net (once I figured out how MFP worked) and then gradually raising calories as I exercised more and got closer to goal. Aiming for 1450-1500 at the moment, as I've decided to finally get the last few lbs off.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I try to eat clean including fully cooking items that may contain salmonella or e.coli. I also try to wash my produce to help reduce some of the fecal load. For the most part, the FDA does a pretty good job at ensuring our food is relatively clean. I know they allow some fecal and pest contamination, but it doesnt seem to harm too many people.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options

My diary is open, add me if you like. I enjoy looking through others diaries too

Am I crazy or do you really eat the exact same 501 calories every day ? And that's it ?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    cannot be done long term. eventually you are going to want a cookie in a bag that contains 10 ingredients that you don't know....
    501 calories daily, every day - that has to just be copied for show
    could get reported since that leads to anorexia

To be fair, if you look further back she does have more logged. She does tend to eat the same foods but calorie intake is higher.
  • randomsue
    randomsue Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I eat clean as much as I can. Being allergic to wheat has made it so that I make most of my food from scratch. The times that I have meals missing is when I have been in situations where I have gone without if I don't bring a little something (kind bar, apple, etc) to avoid getting sick. My diary is open
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi all,
    Tia

There are several good clean eating groups on these forum.

You will probably get more helpful advice on them.

I don't log food so my diary is pretty useless for you.

But like I said, unless you want to be subjected to the ridiculous 'leading' questions like: what do you mean by clean eating? And then followed up by 10 pages of - well a bag of lettuce is processed so it can't be clean or the classic and 'very funny', I wash my food so is that clean eating? - I would venture onto the groups.

Good luck op - clean eating is a good choice. Most of us could do with improving our dietary choices from time to time.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I eat clean and have an open diary if you want to add me. I do eat some bread and pasta right now but only if I make it homemade. I am a runner and when my miles get higher I do add those in. Just keep in mind maybe those items aren't appropriate if your activity is not high. In my off season from racing those get cut out. Lots of meat, fruit, veg, eggs and nuts on my daily log if you need ideas.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Your diary is one of the most unhealthy things I've seen on MFP. If your diary is accurate, you need serious help because you are giving your body less food than a toddler needs.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Tia

There are several good clean eating groups on these forum.

You will probably get more helpful advice on them.

I don't log food so my diary is pretty useless for you.

Minus the unhelpful and unnecessary first paragraph @lemurcat21's response is probably the sort of thing to be looking at.

But like I said, unless you want to be subjected to the ridiculous 'leading' questions like: what do you mean by clean eating? And then followed up by 10 pages of - well a bag of lettuce is processed so it can't be clean or the classic and 'very funny', I wash my food so is that clean eating? - I would venture onto the groups.

Good luck op - clean eating is a good choice. Most of us could do with improving our dietary choices from time to time.
    Well, perhaps you'd like to make a thread explaining what exactly clean eating is, and try to make sure it is consistent with every single user who has ever used the term to describe the eating pattern they're seeking to have. Such a thread would be very productive for the community. I'd nominate that thread for a sticky.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

Well, like I said, I don't clean eat. What's wrong with how I eat, from a nutritional perspective? I mean, it could be improved and it's something I work on, but I don't think my general framework (which I don't always comply with) is worse than a "clean eating" one (which is not always complied with).

The problem with "clean" is that it has no consistent meaning.

Someone here thinks it means no dried pasta and no pasta if you don't exercise.

I had dinner tonight with a vegan friend who has a drastically different interpretation.

Why not just focus on eating in a health-promoting manner and accept that there are different ways of doing that?

I'm interested in exchanging ideas with people about how to eat more vegetables and recipes and cooking from whole foods, so long as there's an understanding that we all have somewhat different ideas (I'm working on lowering sat fat a bit, for example). I'm cool with people who want to do low carb or paleo. I'm not cool with being told my diet is unclean because I occasionally eat various foods I think are healthy and someone else does not (and I wouldn't say that to someone else about foods I keep at a minimum).
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Well, like I said, I don't clean eat. What's wrong with how I eat, from a nutritional perspective? I mean, it could be improved and it's something I work on, but I don't think my general framework (which I don't always comply with) is worse than a "clean eating" one (which is not always complied with).

The problem with "clean" is that it has no consistent meaning.

Someone here thinks it means no dried pasta and no pasta if you don't exercise.

I had dinner tonight with a vegan friend who has a drastically different interpretation.

Why not just focus on eating in a health-promoting manner and accept that there are different ways of doing that?

I'm interested in exchanging ideas with people about how to eat more vegetables and recipes and cooking from whole foods, so long as there's an understanding that we all have somewhat different ideas (I'm working on lowering sat fat a bit, for example). I'm cool with people who want to do low carb or paleo. I'm not cool with being told my diet is unclean because I occasionally eat various foods I think are healthy and someone else does not (and I wouldn't say that to someone else about foods I keep at a minimum).

Yep, don't read too much into the comment. I was addressing the OP and 'most' was referring to the general population (of a westernized culture) as a whole.

I should think a large proportion of the people on MFP (based on the fact they are on here making changes to their diets and fitness) wouldn't fall under that category.

So please don't feel you need to take personal offence at my comment. :)
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    "Clean" is an odd word to use when one talks about food.
    Of course, we eat food that is clean.
  • Babybump2013
    Babybump2013 Posts: 10 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    hi all, OP here. thank you all for your replies, i will also take a look at the groups as mentioned above.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I'm a messy eater (not just clumsy; dyspraxia), some of my food lands on the floor and then it's not clean and I'm not going to eat it - but most of the food I do eat is made from real food ingredients, and I think that's what you really mean, without telling someone what thay really mean, of course.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I'm also not sure that "eating clean" means the same thing to everyone, but I'm a mainly vegan, always vegetarian who monitors my protein, calcium, iron, potassium and vitamin C on here in addition to calories. I'm more or less in maintenance, though I've gained a few pounds back and am really wishing I could take around 5-10 off. I eat simple foods, health foods, kind of plain foods, and foods that look just darned weird to a lot of Americans. Feel free to friend me; my diary is open, but lately I haven't always managed perfect days!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    OP - I eat carefully, by which I mean I weigh my food and log my food to meet my calorie goals. I eat foods that I like and enjoy what I eat, and I'm in maintenance. My diary is open, if you're interested.