Advice please?

Options
I have been losing weight for about 3 months. I had a baby in April and started in July seriously losing weight. I'm excerciseing ,eating healthy, and breastfeeding. The weight has been coming off beautifully. My current goal is to lose 100 lbs. Not counting pregnancy weight my heaviest was 292 and I'm currently 242! So 50 lbs gone! I can't see the loss in the mirror but pictures are looking better! I already think I'll go further when i get to 192.

My issue is that i want to start HIIT at the Y .... I have never done anything like this. They have drop in classes and I want to start tomorrow.... Im terrified. I'm still overweight, I've been teased and judged before and I nervous about not knowing what the heck I'm doing!

Has anyone else felt this way starting a class? I think I'm just going to go and try it... hopefully the people are nice and I could make friends!

Replies

• Rosiecris
    Rosiecris Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You go and try the HIIT class. Introduce yourself to the instructor before the class, and let him know you are a rookie and nervous and concerned about embarrassing yourself. they will understand and help you, that's their job. Most gym people are very nice, anyone who isn't really is the exception, and not worthy of notice.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the new baby and the great weight loss so far! Yes, just go try it! Or, alternatively, you could maybe observe a class first and get a feel for what they do. Either way the best way to learn is to just do it. We all started somewhere and I'm sure people there will be positive and helpful. Good luck!
  • ElbowCoude
    ElbowCoude Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I think i will go early and meet the instructor. I'm nervously excited :-)
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Go. :) Everyone feels self conscious the first time or two. Remember -- you don't know anyone else's journey and they don't know yours. I have never been treated rudely at the gym. HIIT is a great workout -- lots of fun and burns tons of calories. Let me know how you like it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Go! I remember being really nervous to try a kickboxing class when I was overweight as a teenager. It's okay to be a little nervous, but don't let it hold you back. You go and do what you can do. If it means you're shuffling in place instead of doing high knees, fine. If you can only sprint across the room once instead of 5 times, fine. At least you're trying and before you know it, you'll have more endurance.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I let being nervous about lifting weights hold me back for months. Worst mistake of my life! Definitely go and try not to worry about what other people are thinking because that's their issues and not yours. Most people at the gym are truly nice and friendly.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Go!! When I first started fitness classes, I went to the back of the room. As I got better and my confident my abilities, I moved closer. You never know but maybe you'll want to be the instructor. It's catching. Have fun :)
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your terrific success so far! I think if you've already come this far, you're definitely in decent shape. HIIT is fun, but challenging. I tried a rowing machine for the first time this week, in front of tons of people at the gym, and I just started my journey (currently 226, down from 235). I had fun with it and I did great, despite my fear at trying it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you're capable of doing!!! Go for it!
  • ElbowCoude
    ElbowCoude Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm feelin the love! I'm going to give a few classes a try and see what sticks!
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I still feel like this every time I walk into a gym. What I remind myself of is this, if I am so busy thinking about me isn't it reasonable that everyone else is way too busy thinking about themselves to notice me? Second anyone who is in a gym making fun of anyone else who is trying to be healthy needs to be spanked, those people and their opinions are not worth your time.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I belong to the Y, and there are people of all shapes and sizes and abilities there. I have found that everyone is polite and friendly. I have a bit of "gym anxiety" and this is the nicest gym I've been to.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Go! You will feel great and you will be an inspiration to others. I get a lot of inspiration from everyone of all shapes and sizes at the gym!
  • BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me