Struggling new mum

Options
Hi guys,

My daughter is now 8 months old and I feel like I am finally comfortable enough in our routine to start thinking about losing weight.

I didn't gain weight while pregnant, I actually lost almost a stone thanks to morning sickness, but I wasn't svelte before that so I already had work to do.

My trouble is that I tend to starve during the day drinking mostly tea and coffee (usually cold!) because I am running around after a baby then in the evening when my husband gets home I eat a large dinner in front of the tele because I am so tired then usually I will end up in bed shortly after.
Do you have any tips to help me out which dont involve expensive food (maternity pay is shocking!), lots of cooking or a great deal of exercise?

Thanks

Replies

• jamie_0815
    jamie_0815 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Congrats on the baby and not gaining weight for one. I gained 40lbs with my daughter. Managed to lose 35 of those 40lbs breastfeeding. Then of course gained it all back. I would suggest trying to eat something every 2 to 3 hours. Nothing heavy to keep your metabolism going. Not eating is not good. I try to eat something small every two to three hours to prevent myself from getting too hungry and then overdoing it. I hope this helps a little.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I have 3 children (6, 4 and 17 months) and I still find time to eat! At 8 months your baby will be weaned now, so sit her down in the highchair and eat while she does.

I used to go for walks with my babies, and I could sit and have my lunch while they slept.

Also, I'd suggest a jumperoo. Great way to distract them for half hour or so!

I was back in the gym when all of mine were 6 weeks old, but if you don't want to go to the gym, just walk lots. You're on maternity leave, so you have the time. I loved it, especially with my first.

I tend to cook quite basic things. My husband does shifts, so every other week I'm on my own all evening with the kids. I collect them from nursery/after school club around 5, so I don't have much time. I do things like fish/ chicken with veg cooked in the microwave. They all love that. Jacket potato and tuna is another favourite. When we were weaning the youngest we made chicken stew and puréed it, and she loved it. You can freeze loads of little pots, which makes it easier as you have a meal ready for your baby. You could do that for yourself too....just make a huge stew/spaghetti bol/shepherds pie etc and freeze some for yourself.
  • JaiDessaT
    JaiDessaT Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 meals a day (my son is 27 months and still nursing). I've found that if I plan what I'm going to eat the next day, it goes much more smoothly. I rotate meals, also.
    •Fried breakfast potatoes and eggs with sliced apple and coffee/tea.
    •Chicken wrap with bacon, lettuce and tomato.
    •Beans and eggs.
    •Yogurt with strawberries and honey.
    •Cheese and fruit.
    •Chicken with broccoli and baked potato.
    •Smoothie with kefir, mango, spinach and banana.
    •Rice with stir-fried chicken, carrot, onion and broccoli.
    •Turkey meatballs (I eat these all the time, for quick energy). I make a big batch and place portions (4oz) in baggies.

You can make these in advance for the next day/week. This takes the stress out of meal time. You can eat while your LO is eating their meal/snack.
  • rdejou
    rdejou Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hey! Congrats on the baby. I am also a new mom of a 8month old for the second time. I got really sick with preclamsia while pregnant and gained almost 100lbs in a couple weeks. I've lost 40lbs right after giving birth and I need to loose about another 60lbs.

I agree with most of the threads here suggesting to eat something every two to three hours, snacking is a good way to help loose. Just make it is healthy! Protein drinks/shakes are also a good snack.

Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    - absolutely second the jumperoo suggestion - a life saver!
    - eat with them - recipes for little ones tend to be quite quick and healthy and make a number of portions - and you will instill good mealtime habits into them at the same time :)
    - and you can also freeze a lot of things - make too much then freeze portions - very quick to then reheat something healthy when you and little one are ready to eat
    - keep healthy snacks in the house - my midwife told me that having a regular supply of flapjack around was a really good way to eat healthy and get a nutrition boost. Now obviously it depends on the flapjack but the idea is sound!
    - try to cut the tea and coffee out (not easy I know - I lived on tea on maternity leave, rarely hot though!!). Keep a jug of water and glass nearby so you can drink that as you pass