Slimming Teas

Options
espressomane
espressomane Posts: 17 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone use a slimming tea? I just started today with Yogi Slim Life Green Tea and it tastes really good and curbs my appetite. It was about $4 with free shipping for 16 bags so, not bad.

I started at 230 lbs on 9/26 and I'm down to 223 today. Just cutting carbs and doing some walking on my breaks. My job is really sedentary.

Does anyone else use teas to boost weight loss, motivation or energy? What kind? Also - feel free to add me as a friend! Thanks for reading!

Ameenah

Replies

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Teas don't boost weight loss. But congrats on the loss. It sounds as if cutting out some calories and getting some activity in is working!
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    No

They are laxatives for the most part and do nothing to help with actual fat loss
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    They are just laxatives and will only allow you to drop initial water weight. Save your money.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Laxatives and extra caffeine. Nope. Don't have any desire to drink tea that will send me running to the bathroom. I'll lose weight with a calorie deficit instead.
  • kpeterson539
    kpeterson539 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It's a great thing that you found a product that tastes great to you. However, the only thing that aids in weight loss is eating less calories than you burn. Get to know the amount of calories you're taking in by weighing all of your food with logging it into MFP. And congrats on your loss!!!
  • espressomane
    Options
    I usually use them to boost my weight loss because it gives me energy as opposed to a laxative. I tried them in the past and I don't think I used the rest room more than normal. They give a great energy boost that helps with my motivation.
  • espressomane
    Options
    Teas don't boost weight loss. But congrats on the loss. It sounds as if cutting out some calories and getting some activity in is working!

Thanks!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Most of the slimming and detox teas contain either a natural diuretic (so you lose some water weight) or a natural laxative (so you lose waste). Inherently, they aren't going to do much for fat loss.

That said, I sip rooibos red tea in the evenings when I'm out of calories for the day. Fills me up a little and satisfies that boredom hand-to-mouth motion my brain wants in the evening.
  • espressomane
    Options
    It's a great thing that you found a product that tastes great to you. However, the only thing that aids in weight loss is eating less calories than you burn. Get to know the amount of calories you're taking in by weighing all of your food with logging it into MFP. And congrats on your loss!!!

Thanks! I was asking in reference to more energy? Maybe I should have worded myself better.

• emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Does anyone use a slimming tea? I just started today with Yogi Slim Life Green Tea and it tastes really good and curbs my appetite. It was about $4 with free shipping for 16 bags so, not bad.

I started at 230 lbs on 9/26 and I'm down to 223 today. Just cutting carbs and doing some walking on my breaks. My job is really sedentary.

Does anyone else use teas to boost weight loss, motivation or energy? What kind? Also - feel free to add me as a friend! Thanks for reading!

Ameenah

Hi Ameenah

I have had this tea. It is like the only tea I drink. I started it because a fit friend of mine swears by it. But it did not help me with my weight loss directly or indirectly.

Still that's great that it is helping you! Stick with it then. Whatever works for you.

Best of luck on your fitness journey :)
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Caffeine may be giving you the extra energy ,or it could be the placebo effect.
    Sometimes people want something to work so badly , they make themselves believe its really working
    If you've cut carbs , that's probably why you've dropped extra weight. The tea has nothing to do with it . either way, likely just water weight loss.
    To lose weight all you need is a calorie deficit. Its that simple. Eat less then you burn.
    But if you think this tea is helping , have at it !
    Just remember, for long lasting success - there's no quick fixes. No magic teas or pills . nothing can replace hard work.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You cannot plan on drinking this tea forever. Learn to log your food accurately and add a little exercise, this you can do the rest of your life. You can do this!!
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Those weight loss teas are a waste, and they won't boost metabolism or anything that they claim.
    I do drink tea often...I drink it when I feel like I want to eat out of habit or boredom and not actual hunger. It really helps with that. It also helps when I need something sweet. My favourite is Banana Split from David's. 84lbs down so far.
    I am very active in the Instagram weight loss community and a lot of people there are drinking these teas and marketing them. It really annoys me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Those weight loss teas are a waste, and they won't boost metabolism or anything that they claim.
    I do drink tea often...I drink it when I feel like I want to eat out of habit or boredom and not actual hunger. It really helps with that. It also helps when I need something sweet. My favourite is Banana Split from David's. 84lbs down so far.
    I am very active in the Instagram weight loss community and a lot of people there are drinking these teas and marketing them. It really annoys me.

Way to get it!
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Most of the "appetite reduction" effect is just drinking water,
    filling your stomach, having mass that tells your stomach it's full.
    Some could be the caffiene, which is also making you feel more energetic.