FOR ALL BREASTFEEDING MOTHERS! ! please help:/

Options
So I've been consuming 1900 calories this past week, give or take a couple hundred and i ended up gaining a pound and a half:/ I breastfeed, myself. I'm 5'3", currently 123.4 pounds. My goal is is lose fat or get to around 115-118 pounds. How many calories did you consume while breastfeeding and were you still able to lose weight without your milk supply decreasing? Any suggestions?

Replies

• WinterSkies
    WinterSkies Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    It depends on how often your baby is nursing. I found that when my daughter was nursing 4 times per day, 300 extra calories were enough to keep my supply up but still lose weight. Now that she's nursing twice a day, I allow 200 extra. I may drop that a little more, as my weight loss has slowed to under 1lb per week (I have MFP set to 1.5lb/week).

That being said, you are really close to your goal, and I'm still 30lbs out. Your weight loss should be very slow, and that "give or take a couple hundred" could be enough to put you on the gaining side as opposed to the losing side, from what I've read of other's posts regarding being close to goal weight/being a shorter female. You could try dropping your calories a little lower (1800?), and be sure to drink lots of water. It takes some fine tuning to balance weight loss with milk supply, I think, so don't be afraid to experiment a little. Having a 750 calorie deficit has not hurt my supply, thank goodness! But if had looked like it had been, I would have upped my calories right away to make sure I didn't do any damage.
  • graymamal
    graymamal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When my son was newborn, there was no amount of calories that I could consume and gain wait. Now he's nursing a lot less and I hover around 1600 calories a day (I'm taller and heavier than you though." I noticed a decrease in supply when I ate 100 less than my usual.
  • andihwc
    andihwc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You are already at a normal weight so your body has fewer stores to rely on for milk supply. Depending on baby's needs (age), I would not restrict calories if I were you.

If you are determined to lose those last five pounds now, then you should talk to a lactation consultant. Your nutritional needs are different because of your current weight and your milk at greater risk.

FYI I am breastfeeding a 9 month old and aim for a 1lb/week loss, I've been successful, but I am still in the obese range and so my supply is in no danger.
  • shinisize
    shinisize Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I wasn't able to restrict my calories at all and keep my supply up. Every time I would lose a pound or two I would lose supply until I gained it back. At 5'5" and 161lbs I wasn't trim at all, but that was the weight my body wanted to be at (I could eat like crazy and not gain). Breastfeeding affects everyone differently, which is something I wish the medical community would stress when promoting it vs the sunshine and rainbows they like to claim it will be.
  • CherriLicious
    CherriLicious Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I noticed that my milk supply went down when I tried to loose weight. My mom told me to make sure I was getting lots of healthy fats and not to worry about weight loss if I planned to nurse traditionally (over a year). I have a happy healthy son that never had an ear infection and was never sick beyond a few hours; it was worth not stressing about weight loss to me :-) I know that's not the advice you were looking for but maybe it will give you a little piece of mind ;-)
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding in some exercise?
    I'm still breastfeeding and anything below 1800 turns me into a monster, I'm happiest eating 2100-2300. I'm 5"5 and don't seem to be losing or gaining (I'm fine with that), but also haven't been to the gym in a week or so.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I maintain at 2400. While I was breastfeeding before introduction of solids I'm sure I ate about 3000 a day. I didn't try to create a deficit until 7-8 months. Supply tanked. Came up a bit with better hydration but I had to go back to eating and not diet until I weaned. I was about 10 lbs above prepregnant weight and still within healthy weight range at the time.
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I lose lots of weight while breastfeeding eating at about 2400 calories. Now, I'm nursing a 3 month old and also my toddler so I'm nursing more than normal, I guess, but I have never noticed a supply dip and my babies have been fine.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Everyone varies...most doctors say not under 1800. When your baby is on solids then its easier to cut back on calories. Pumping helps keep supply up as well..