How often do you weigh yourself?

Options
2»

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    every morning, knowing fluctuations happen and it's about a downward trend. not day to day. but i like every day because then i get to know my lowest lows and i feel that is encouraging
  • IanRS
    IanRS Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and track the 7 and 28 day moving average
  • tmartin19710
    tmartin19710 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I weigh the first day of every month. I make myself stay off the scale . It messes with my head to much. My goal is 5lbs a month so far since July,1 I have lost 22lbs.
  • mlaccs
    mlaccs Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My scales hate me. I can float 1-2 pounds in 5 minutes with the key activity in the middle being brushing my teeth. BUT the overall trend is down and I only record once a week or longer. The scales may cheat me out of a couple of pounds or give me something I have not earned yet but there is no mistaking the 20-25 pound total loss. That is what we are looking for.
  • islandgirl29710
    islandgirl29710 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Every morning but I only record it one day a week at the same time. I like the motivation even if it is a couple of ounces. This is so different than before when I would do everything to avoid the scale.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    about 3 times a week...but by strict rules. only if i've been to the toilet that morning, and before I eat/drink anything. If not I don't weigh as I'm too scared I will see a fluctuation up and just won't depress myself that way! ocd anyone...?!
  • lyndefisher
    lyndefisher Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day but my 'official' weigh in day is Sunday generally around the same time (during the week is earlier due to work). If I see a slight increase during the week (body flucuations), I am not too concerned because I will usually be back down in a day or two. It motivates me but I base my weight loss on Sundays! That works for us. I have been on a slow but steady loss since June
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Depends on my goals and time of month. If I'm in maintenance, once every couple of weeks. If I'm cutting, I'll weigh almost every day except from the time of ovulation until my period is over-then I'll just check in when I feel like it to see what's going on (usually 5 pounds up so no point in weighing too often and stressing).
  • eDonatti
    eDonatti Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Every day - I don't mind fluctuations - I know they are inevitable but I need to see the scale every day to keep myself motivated.
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    but then how do you know how much is just water loss or fat loss?
  • RobertWilkens
    RobertWilkens Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    For me, I do daily - i do it in the morning, i tend to delay breakfast until i get around to it... I have a wi-fi (aria) scale and it logs in each time i step on it (and has since around 2012 i think), but sometimes i weigh in even several times in the a.m. then go back and pick the most reasonable number for the day and delete the other weigh-ins.

I've gone about a month without weight changing much, but fortunately MFP let's you log in your measurements (neck, waist, hips) and i've definitely seen progress in the last month in those areas, so don't let weight be your sole goal. Another thing i've seen is my cardio fitness is getting better, a few weeks ago i started experimented with running on treadmill, did about 1 minute of running over 30 minutes of walking -- today I worked up to 6 minutes (3 minutes twice) of running 6.0mph. Again, there are other measures besides the scale is all i'm saying to indicate you're doing something right.
  • Wiz_Joe
    Wiz_Joe Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Everyday works best for me, I often find myself losing track if I don't do it on a daily basis. Having the weighing machine somewhere open enough for everyone around the household to reach helps a bunch. I noticed that this increases weight discussions among us and makes majority sensitive to what to eat and how to exercise.
  • Ruth1212
    Ruth1212 Posts: 6,326 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day. Log it on the app happy scale. On a daily basis I just log it and close the app.

I look at my moving average at the end of 2 weeks. If average is up then I tighten up logging etc If average is the same I am pleased to have maintained because I am in maintenance mode.

I always check my average at the end of the month to make sure my average is staying constant

The more data the better to help see real trends. The trend apps like libra and happy scale allow you to see overall trend.
  • penpan
    penpan Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I weigh twice a day (morning and night). Then I log my weight every Friday. I see the pros and cons of doing it this way but it seems to be working.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    aniqa109 wrote: »
    but then how do you know how much is just water loss or fat loss?

You look at 14 or longer day trends, not individual days. Water weight is a confounding factor (noise) no matter whether you weigh yourself every day, week, month, or year. Having more data points makes it easier, not harder, to get rid of fluctuations.

Sometimes it's pretty obvious. Stalls in weight loss are typicallly just water retention, as long as you're sure you have a deficit. Likewise gains - I know I didn't eat 7,000 surplus calories yesterday so I clearly didn't gain two pounds of fat.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The best way to understand and accept fluctuations is to weigh daily and track the paltterns and trends. There us no such thing as true actual weight. Food and water are always part of your pounds, even at your lowest weight. If you were to weigh only once per year (an extreme example to make a point) and you weigh 5 lbs more than last year, you still don't know if it's a temp water fluctuation or if you've gained 5 lbs of fat (or muscle).
  • aniqa109
    aniqa109 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    ohhh ok thankyou.thats helpful!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    aniqa109 wrote: »
    @Whitezombiegirl thankyou that does mke sense...i get disheartened seeing it go up..but this is my first month using fitbit and trying to eat within calorie goal..i think as time goes on i will be able to understand fluctuations better.but i got confused as the day before my TOM i went up by 2kg and then 2 days after my TOm i was down 1kg and today im down 1kg frm my lowest weight before TOm n then im just confused ..is it water weight?do i log it?lol ...but i dont want to.give up!!

That all sounds perfectly normal. That's your actual weight. Yay! The water weight is the TOM gain.

I use Happy Scale on my iPhone to log my weight every day, and it's fun to see the similarities from TOM to TOM. And I love the lovely downward trend on my graph. :)
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I usually just weigh myself once a week.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and just log the new lows. The daily fluctuations don't bother me. Each new low I look at where I was exactly 30 days ago and it gives me an idea of how much I'm losing per month. Then I play this fun mental game of imagining what I'll weigh by X-mas time based on my trend.