I need motivation - No weight loss since 3 months :(

Options
Hi All,

I am so glad to be in touch with people who have lost so much.... I have been on my exercise routine n diet routine since Aug 2010...I have managed to lose around 45ish pounds but now the weight is just not moving.. I have been on my current weight since past 3 months now :( and to top it all, I am losing loads of hair... I have lost almost half of my hair volume by now... and I have also got real bad acne breakouts...I am feeling so demotivated... I workout atleast 4 times a week and I am on 1200 calories diet with Carbs 40%, Protein 40% and fat 20%..I watch my sodium and water intake too.To my knowledge, I am doing all right things but my health is only degrading and causing these harsh effects like hair fall and acne too.

It will be of great help if you can share your experience with me.. How did you manage to lose this weight ??? What was your calories intake (carbs, protein, fat) ? How much do you work out ? Any details that you think might be helpful to me...

Many thanks,
SKB

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Normally the lost of hair is a side effect of losing weight too fast that some people experience. The acne can be your body detoxing. I remember breaking out pretty bad. Also if you are exercising the sweat can cause acne. Are you exercising any? If so I would suggest upping your calories a little. 1200 calories may not be enough to sustain you at this stage. There is also a supplement you can purchase thats called biotin. Its good for the hair & skin.
  • jessilea53
    jessilea53 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well, first off have you been to your doctor about the hair and acne? I cant really see those being tied to diet or exercise. More along the lines of stress or something thats just not right with your body and/or system.

I would focus more on those two things right now then the weight loss. Especially if you havent really changed anything in your diet, exercise, water intake, or any medication changes.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I agree! Time to visit the doctor.... It's scary to have symptoms with no explanation. You will have more peace of mind once you have a check up. Feel better! Hugs!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Hi. I had a quick look at your diary and it doesn't look like you're doing anything drastically wrong but you don't seem to be eating much fruit and veg and you are not eating much fat either. We do need to eat enough fat because some vitamins and minerals can only be absorbed if we eat enough fat. If you have your fat set as low as 20% you should try to reach that amount each day. I personally prefer mine set at 30%fat, 30% protein and 40% carbs.

I wonder if you're not getting enough vitamins and minerals. That may explain the hair loss and acne. Also, being a woman you do need to make sure you get enough fat to produce the right hormones, this is why we have so much more body fat than men. Perhaps if you try to reach your 20% fat every day (or even increase it to 25% or 30%) and incorporate a little more fruit and veg that might help. Perhaps try a vitamin and mineral supplement too.

I would also consider talking to your doctor about your hair loss and acne as there may be something else causing this.

As regards your weight loss plateau, are you near your healthy goal weight? If you are you will find it more difficult to lose the last 10lbs or so. Most people recommend that when you get to this stage you change your goal settings so you are aiming to lose only half a pound a week. Sometimes your body just won't allow you to lose much weight when your that close but will allow a small calorie deficit. It's better to lose half a pound a week than nothing.

I hope you start to see a change in your health soon.
  • mommyJto3
    mommyJto3 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i would up your calories to 1400 or 1500.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I've just had a rather large plateau...hit the 51lbs lost 9 weeks ago so only 3lbs since that time but I have lost inches, quite a few inches, 5 from my stomach in that time

You don't say what height you are but looking at your stats i'd say similar to myself. it really feels like too early in the game to be sticking doesn't it?!

So....

Are you weighing your food, big mistakes can happen here, been there done it. Even halving a 200g package of something isnt good enough as I recently found out. My 200g bag of prawns was closer to 300g even with the water SQUEEEEEEZED out, similar results with most weighed packages, they over fill them.

Are you counting your drinks, sugar adds up as does milk.

Are you using other users food data entries, many are way off the mark to use without double and triple checking. (I found a coffee with 3 sugars and creamer listed as 21 calories...1 teaspoon of sugar is that!)

Are you eating your exercise calories, if so how many, workout calories are often way too high. If not, you should eat some of them back.

Now this is what i've done, not saying its perfect or even right but i've knocked my nutrient ratio to 30/40/30 (carbs/protein/fat) My hair nails and skin has improved greatly, they were truly awful and I believe this was from the lower fat %...do make sure that the fats you consume are as good as you can manage. Olive oil is what I use for cooking, olive spread in place of butter etc. The higher protein has helped keep me fuller for longer too...and eating less carbs means cravings are lowered. I'm not doing low carb as such just lower carb.

I'm not saying follow what i'm doing but maybe its time to mix things up...differ your exercises and change your diet up a little. Plateaus will happen no matter what but when quitting isnt an option (not for me!!) then its a case of sucking them up and keeping strong
  • simply_healthy
    simply_healthy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi. I had a quick look at your diary and it doesn't look like you're doing anything drastically wrong but you don't seem to be eating much fruit and veg and you are not eating much fat either. We do need to eat enough fat because some vitamins and minerals can only be absorbed if we eat enough fat. If you have your fat set as low as 20% you should try to reach that amount each day. I personally prefer mine set at 30%fat, 30% protein and 40% carbs.

I wonder if you're not getting enough vitamins and minerals. That may explain the hair loss and acne. Also, being a woman you do need to make sure you get enough fat to produce the right hormones, this is why we have so much more body fat than men. Perhaps if you try to reach your 20% fat every day (or even increase it to 25% or 30%) and incorporate a little more fruit and veg that might help. Perhaps try a vitamin and mineral supplement too.

I would also consider talking to your doctor about your hair loss and acne as there may be something else causing this.

As regards your weight loss plateau, are you near your healthy goal weight? If you are you will find it more difficult to lose the last 10lbs or so. Most people recommend that when you get to this stage you change your goal settings so you are aiming to lose only half a pound a week. Sometimes your body just won't allow you to lose much weight when your that close but will allow a small calorie deficit. It's better to lose half a pound a week than nothing.

I hope you start to see a change in your health soon.

Thanks so much for all these details. I have recently set my calorie intake to 40C,30P,30F...I will surely try to incorporate more veg n fruits in my diet.... I have booked an appointment with the doctor soon... and also waiting for my blood test results... Hoping to crack this soon... :(
  • jessilea53
    jessilea53 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hopefully the Dr. can give you some answers.

Plateau wise...you are hitting the final stretch. A lot of people have told me when I hit a plateau to up my calories by like 500 for 3-4 days and then jump back down to my 1200. Its suppose to kick your metabolism into gear. Havent gotten to that point, but maybe thats something you should try.

Good luck!

Jessica
  • simply_healthy
    Options
    Hopefully the Dr. can give you some answers.

Plateau wise...you are hitting the final stretch. A lot of people have told me when I hit a plateau to up my calories by like 500 for 3-4 days and then jump back down to my 1200. Its suppose to kick your metabolism into gear. Havent gotten to that point, but maybe thats something you should try.

Good luck!

Jessica

I shall try doing that... I have got my calorie intake set to 1300 now... Hoping for the best ....Thanks ! Hugs Xxx
  • simply_healthy
    Options
    I've just had a rather large plateau...hit the 51lbs lost 9 weeks ago so only 3lbs since that time but I have lost inches, quite a few inches, 5 from my stomach in that time

You don't say what height you are but looking at your stats i'd say similar to myself. it really feels like too early in the game to be sticking doesn't it?!

So....

Are you weighing your food, big mistakes can happen here, been there done it. Even halving a 200g package of something isnt good enough as I recently found out. My 200g bag of prawns was closer to 300g even with the water SQUEEEEEEZED out, similar results with most weighed packages, they over fill them.

Are you counting your drinks, sugar adds up as does milk.

Are you using other users food data entries, many are way off the mark to use without double and triple checking. (I found a coffee with 3 sugars and creamer listed as 21 calories...1 teaspoon of sugar is that!)

Are you eating your exercise calories, if so how many, workout calories are often way too high. If not, you should eat some of them back.

Now this is what i've done, not saying its perfect or even right but i've knocked my nutrient ratio to 30/40/30 (carbs/protein/fat) My hair nails and skin has improved greatly, they were truly awful and I believe this was from the lower fat %...do make sure that the fats you consume are as good as you can manage. Olive oil is what I use for cooking, olive spread in place of butter etc. The higher protein has helped keep me fuller for longer too...and eating less carbs means cravings are lowered. I'm not doing low carb as such just lower carb.

I'm not saying follow what i'm doing but maybe its time to mix things up...differ your exercises and change your diet up a little. Plateaus will happen no matter what but when quitting isnt an option (not for me!!) then its a case of sucking them up and keeping strong

My height: 170 cms.
    Current Weight : 212 lbs
    Target Weight : 165 lbs

I am only half way through...I have at least 45-47 pounds to go.... This is the reason I m highly frustrated.... I have modified my calorie intake to carbs 40, protein 30, fat 30..... I have started taking fish oil from today....Hoping to some changes soon
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My height: 170 cms.
    Current Weight : 212 lbs
    Target Weight : 165 lbs

I am only half way through...I have at least 45-47 pounds to go.... This is the reason I m highly frustrated.... I have modified my calorie intake to carbs 40, protein 30, fat 30..... I have started taking fish oil from today....Hoping to some changes soon
    [/quote]

It sounds as though you're not eating calories or getting enough nutrients. I weigh 200 and am 5'9" and my dr. has me on 1800-2000 calories. I'm glad you'll be seeing the dr. soon and can hopefully get this sorted out.
  • simply_healthy
    Options
    It sounds as though you're not eating calories or getting enough nutrients. I weigh 200 and am 5'9" and my dr. has me on 1800-2000 calories. I'm glad you'll be seeing the dr. soon and can hopefully get this sorted out.

My current settings are at 1300 calories but I find it difficult to eat so much ! I am not able to eat exercise calories back...I usually work out in evenings and have my dinner as soon as possible after my workouts. I am wondering how to fit in eating my exercise calories back !
  • QueenofCups
    QueenofCups Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You can add calorie rich foods like nuts, peanut butter, avocado, etc to your foods without feeling like you ate alot.
    Also, I drink Boost (240 calories) when i need some added calories but don't feel like eating or don't have time. And Boost has a lot of protein in it to help with muscle building.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Read this link! http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
    It was passed on to me yesterday when I asked about busting my plateau. It's wonderful, well written easy to understand advice!
  • auroraopie
    auroraopie Posts: 36
    Options
    sounds like u hit a plateau . i know something that will jump start your weightloss depending on how dedicated you r. try the 17 day diet. its awesome. for the first 17 days you eat only vegtables and unlimited amount of meat like chicken turkey or fish. dont eat any sugary fruits like bananas or kiwis. stick with berries and apples. dont eat fruit or carbs after 2 pm. i lost almost 10 pounds every first phase but my problem with sticking to it was my fmaily was eating everything else. i always gave up . the second phase is another 17 days but it intorduces more variety of meat and stuff. by phase three u van have cereal and bread again. its really good. you dont get hungry and the scale keeps droping. its a "confuse your metabolism" diet so bust thru platues. how much do u weigh now if u dont mind me asking
  • auroraopie
    auroraopie Posts: 36
    Options
    oh yea and you should do 17 min a day of exercise lol says the book.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

My current settings are at 1300 calories but I find it difficult to eat so much ! I am not able to eat exercise calories back...I usually work out in evenings and have my dinner as soon as possible after my workouts. I am wondering how to fit in eating my exercise calories back !

I agree that you're not eating enough. We put our body under a lot of stress by restricting calories for a long time. I think 1200 is much too low for your height, weight and the exercise you do. Was that amount given to you by MFP?? Was it to lose 1lb per week or 2lbs per week?? This could account for your hair loss and acne. Just not enough nutrition for your body to survive in a healthy state; something's got to give!

Your body NEEDS nutrition to survive. It will continue to hold on to your fat reserves as it is in a panic that it's not being fed properly. This is no joke. There are LOTS of examples in the forums of people not eating enough. Yes, you lose weight in the beginning. And you lost a lot of weight fairly quickly. But this is not the best long term solution, even though most of us fall into the trap of thinking that the quicker we lose it, the quicker we get it over and done with!!

So I think you need to reverse things. Take a step back and start reintroducing proper food into your diet. Yes, you CAN eat more. It's just you have got used to eating less!! You may put on a few pounds doing this, but this is only temporary as your body grabs onto the new nutrition until it feels safe to let go again.

I really think you ought to adjust your weekly loss to 1lb (if its not that already?). Then eat back AT LEAST half of your exercise cals with good healthy fats, fruits and veg (for vits and mins). Plus take a multi vit inculding iron! Do you feel tired?? That's another indicator of lack of iron, a significant mineral needed to maintain healthy hair and skin. In fact, why not buy a supplement that deals with hair and skin specifically ?

Good luck hun. I know you try your best and its frustrating. But you really have to feed the body to lose weight healthily!! Your body will thank you by working properly again :bigsmile:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    sounds like u hit a plateau . i know something that will jump start your weightloss depending on how dedicated you r. try the 17 day diet. its awesome. for the first 17 days you eat only vegtables and unlimited amount of meat like chicken turkey or fish. dont eat any sugary fruits like bananas or kiwis. stick with berries and apples. dont eat fruit or carbs after 2 pm. i lost almost 10 pounds every first phase but my problem with sticking to it was my fmaily was eating everything else. i always gave up . the second phase is another 17 days but it intorduces more variety of meat and stuff. by phase three u van have cereal and bread again. its really good. you dont get hungry and the scale keeps droping. its a "confuse your metabolism" diet so bust thru platues. how much do u weigh now if u dont mind me asking

Sorry, I dont think you ought to try any other restriction in your diet at this time. I think you need to get your hair and skin back in order before you do that, if at all.

Just my 2 cents as I think your body needs MORE nutrition, not less.

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You aren't eating enough. I wold let the site choose your calorie limit and eat as close to that as possible. You also don;t appear to be drinking much water or eating much green veg. The processed foods are likely giving you way more sodium and sugars than you need. All those Marks & Spencer packets are really convenient but not as healthy for you as they seem. Also try adding some healthy fats into your diet like olive oils, avocado and fish if you eat it.