Will me metabolism be damaged because of this?

Options
On Wednesday I accidentally went below 1200 calories and had about 1100. I know that the body considers this starving. Yesterday I went out to eat and ate around 2,500 calories. Today I ate around 2,000 calories. Im hoping that my high calorie consumption today and yesterday will combat any effects that my low calorie consumption on Wednesday might have caused. I have been dieting on and off for a few years and have not gone under 1200 calories since two years ago, Will my going under 1200 calories on Wednesday affect my metabolism?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Metabolism changes just don't happen that quickly. 1200 calories isn't a magic number. Being 100 calories below it is still within the margin of error for most people. Didn't you ask this same question yesterday?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    No, going under on an occasional day, will not hurt your metabolism. Additionally, your body doesn't consider it starving.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Nah, that's fine.

The body can slow down metabolism (basically, reduce thermogenesis in brown adipose tissue) but one day of partial fasting is fine.

The bigger worry with sub-1200 calorie diets is the propensity towards malnutrition, but you won't be malnourished for a single day's actions.
  • yasmingingerbread
    yasmingingerbread Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I did ask the same question. I have had metabolism slow down problems in the past when I spent a week on a 1000 calorie a day diet and I'm worried it might happen again. Thanks for your answers!
  • Kellyymcd
    Kellyymcd Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The body does not consider 1100 calories as "starving" eating nothing for 3 weeks maybe...
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I did ask the same question. I have had metabolism slow down problems in the past when I spent a week on a 1000 calorie a day diet and I'm worried it might happen again. Thanks for your answers!

What an interesting notion.

How are you determining your metabolic rate? Are you being monitored in a lab? What are the signs you're seeing of metabolic slow down?