Having a hard time starting out

Options
i really wanna lose 40 pounds but whenever i attempt to start i always end up going off track!

Im obsessed with junk food so im always reaching out for them. How can i change this? How do i stay motivated? how do i not get off track? How do i control my cravings??

Pls helppp

Replies

• Brittbell87
    Brittbell87 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have the same problems, except I have 110 lbs to lose. You really just have to have a strong determined attitude about it. Don't deprive yourself of the foods you like, just downsize the portions you eat. If you completely cut out all foods you love, it will cause you to gorge when you do start trying to eat them again and then you'll be back in the shoes your in now.

With doing this, you will teach yourself how you should eat and your body will get use to eating that way.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    The secret to losing weight while calorie counting is this: You don't have to give up the foods you love to lose weight, you just need to eat less of them. Yes, it's really that simple.

So eat the things you like but just be sensible with your portion sizes and always log everything you eat to be sure to stay within your calorie goal. If you really like chocolate in the evening after dinner then have chocolate as long as you have saved the calories for it. It might be better to have a small piece of really good (expensive) chocolate than a whole bar of cheap chocolate, too. For one, it feels more decadent and you can slow down and really savor it and be satisfied with it.

Many people find, over time, as they come to understand the calorie and nutritional values of the foods they love and eat, that some foods just aren't worth eating. At that point, we make decisions that it's better to eat more nutritionally dense and lower calorie foods most of the time and work in the things we really love in much smaller amounts or less often. There's no reason to stop eating everything you love at first, though, as long as you can keep under your calorie goal every day you will lose weight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I had to realize and accept that I cannot eat whatever I want in the quantity I want and achieve and maintain the weight I desire. I simply cannot. When presented with a food situation I must decide which I want more--the food or the number on the scale. Some foods are easier for me to avoid altogether than eat a small amount then try to fight eating more. Read all the sticky posts at the top each mfp forum because they contain lots of good tips about your questions. It is not easy but can be done with hard work, consistency, and dedication.

Sw 301
    Cw 189
    Gw 150-145
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think most people have a similar problem to this... i know i do... Anyways some tips i have picked up are to find snacks that you like that are low in calories than treat them as your junk food. Drink a cup of water before every meal as well as some while your eating, this helps curb some of the appetite and helps the food digest better. Start with working out small amounts daily and move up the time when you feel comfortable. Like for me here are some of my snacks with lower calories that i eat: Pickles, sugar snap peas, sunflower seeds, peanuts (i like shelled), fruit smoothies, wheat thins, cheese its and any sweet fruits.
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The big picture can be so off-putting. Don't think about it. Sit down with a pen and paper and write out a list of 5 things you can do that will make a difference, anything that fits with your lifestyle and needs. Then pick one and start with that.

The other thing I have found really useful is for next week, give yourself permission to eat just like you ate last week, but the big difference is you are not allowed to judge yourself, beat yourself up or try to change anything. Log what you eat and think about what prompted you to eat it and what you gained from it (whether good or bad). Journal it, make notes or just think about it, whatever works for you. But at the end of the week I'll bet you will have learned some stuff about yourself and what you really want. Then you can start to think about some strategies to actually GET what you want (lose 1lb, lose 40lb, get healthy, whatever) in ways that are achievable.

Don't control your cravings, out-smart them :)
  • sinbad714
    sinbad714 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Your mind says one thing and your cravings tell your mind another. Go shopping and start with buying healthy foods with low sugar. You may have the sugar and carb cravings . Eat lots of low calorie food with water content. Drink water before meals to feel fuller during your meal. These simple tricks will buy you time to lower your insulin levels and reduce your cravings.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Great advice so far. Its one day at a time. week 2/3 is THE hardest and where 'most' people give up. Its not 'fun' anymore and the changes haven't hit. 21 Days to make things a habit. you're fighting your habits every day at first. Write down Why you're doing this... not just 'lose weight'... but Why.... and why... and why...
    Why? To feel better ? Why... so I can do X and y .. Why... because it will be mean this, and then How will you FEEL when you can do this?

Write down those goals and remember them when you want to give up. We ALL want to give up at times, but you have to believe in You and believe you can and want it.....

You can do it!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When you want this badly enough, you'll just do it. Try pre-logging your days, as it helps tremendously. Good luck.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Don't buy junk food. Buy a variety of healthy food that you like, instead.