Runners: Question about Pain

Options
Ok so obviously I expect SOME pain after running muscles moving etc etc. I am just worried I am doing it "wrong". My calves are REALLY sore. They are doing all right at the moment as long as I keep moving around but this morning when I got out of bed (after day 2 of C25K last night) I was quite sure I wasn't going to make it down the stairs.

Is that where the pain is "supposed" to be? Do I just keep stretching?

The only other thing that hurts a bit is my left ankle and that is only if I move it the wrong way and I am *guessing* could be related to the fact that my calf is so tight.

FWIW I am doing C25K and running in fivefingers. I have worn them around the house and out and about for 2 months now to get my feet accustomed to the "feel" etc and allow my muscles to adjust....so I didn't just take em off the shelf and have a run...

Thoughts?

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    How long have you actually been running in the vibrams? If it hasn't been long it could be your muscles are sore because they aren't used to the stride of running in shoes without as much support.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If the pain is debilitating, you may be going too hard to start with. Make sure you get enough rest in between days of running. You aren't running on consecutive days, are you? If so, that's too much to start. Make sure that you have at least one day in between. Two if you are still really sore the second day.
  • chattychick
    chattychick Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    For beignning runners five fingers may not be the way to go. (I am not an expert so take what I say with a grain of salt). When your feet have been used to one type of shoe and you switch to something so radically different it can throw off everything about how you run. You may want to consider running in good old running shoes and see if that helps. It is worth a try, right?
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am afraid I did the last two days. I am doing a weight program with weights one day and cardio the next...and I started C25K on a weights day...so I did it 2 days in a row to "match up" with the routine.

I don't plan to do it today but I am hoping to do it tomorrow AM as it is suppose to get to 90 here tomorrow and I want to run early before it gets too hot.

Maybe the extra rest will help.
  • Boladefuego326
    Boladefuego326 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If the pain is debilitating, you may be going too hard to start with. Make sure you get enough rest in between days of running. You aren't running on consecutive days, are you? If so, that's too much to start. Make sure that you have at least one day in between. Two if you are still really sore the second day.
    How long have you actually been running in the vibrams? If it hasn't been long it could be your muscles are sore because they aren't used to the stride of running in shoes without as much support.

I agree with them both
  • BodyRockerVT
    Options
    For beignning runners five fingers may not be the way to go. (I am not an expert so take what I say with a grain of salt). When your feet have been used to one type of shoe and you switch to something so radically different it can throw off everything about how you run. You may want to consider running in good old running shoes and see if that helps. It is worth a try, right?

I considered that but I don't really wear shoes haha. I go barefoot in the summer or toss on flip flops if I am going somewhere that requires shoes...and in the winter I wear my ugg slippers or my winter trecker things. I got the five fingers this summer so I could be "barefoot" all the time...so they are actually the most worn shoe in my house right now.
  • BodyRockerVT
    Options
    Sorry double post
  • BodyRockerVT
    Options
    I have been actually running in the vibrams 2 days....and actually running 2 days haha. So I am a total newb. I tried C25K last winter on the treadmill and ended up with SAD knees using Nike frees. So far no pain at all in my knees, so that is a big plus...I just can't get a natural gait on the treadmill.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Calf soreness is normal at first..Give it a day or two of rest and you should be ok.

(597 miles running in vibrams this year)
  • BodyRockerVT
    Options
    WOW! That is a lot of miles!

Now REALLY feel like a newb.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    calf soreness is to be expected in the vibrams, especially if you run consecutive days. Took me several weeks before I could run back to back in them.
    Just stick with it, but try every other day for a week or so.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    calf soreness is to be expected in the vibrams, especially if you run consecutive days. Took me several weeks before I could run back to back in them.
  • BodyRockerVT
    Options

Great to know! Thanks! I will keep at it then. C25K is every other day so I should be good from here on out...hopefully.
  • KnittingKat
    Options
    You are lucky! I have shoe envy! I want to try a pair to see if they would help me, but I can't afford them (saving up for a new bed right now) I am a barefoot kind of person unless I am cleaning the playroom. I have stepped on a rock and a lego recently with the same heel, both on solid surfaces.
  • gremlet
    gremlet Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have stepped on a rock and a lego recently with the same heel, both on solid surfaces.

OUCH! Lego hurts a whole lot!

But be thankful you don't have these plugs in the US. Stepping on an upturned one hurts like you would not believe!

British_UK_plug_with_fuse_Y006A.jpg