7lbs lost in a week... explanations?

Options
Did my scale break?
I've been losing 2-3 pounds a week steadily since I started MFP. This week I switched to a high-protein diet and worked on strength training rather than cardio but not a lot of changes other than that. 7lbs down in a week seems really, really unrealistic so can anyone explain this? TOM isn't a factor and the only thing I can think of is water weight.

Replies

• Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    That is what it sounds like to me. Just make sure you keep yourself nice and hydrated so you don't retain water and "gain" it back! :-)
  • AJelinski
    AJelinski Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees the huge fluctuations in weight in short time frames. This week my scale tells me that I've dropped four pounds in two days. It's a digital readout scale, but sometimes I just don't trust it.
  • Chubbers6
    Chubbers6 Posts: 2
    Options
    I would say it is the switch to a high protein diet..........protein in your diet makes a world of difference and you loose weight steadily....... look at all the crazy diets out there like Atkins and South Beach.....they are all geared towards high protein and low carbs and fixated with quick weight loss. I tried Atkins a while back and lost about 12 lb in one week ..... I felt awesome for losing the weight, but eventually started getting headaches and what not because I was eating no carbs...... it is not for everyone........ but some people are just fine with high protein. GOOD JOB, KEEP IT UP !!
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    High protein diets do dehydrate your body and I'm not saying that to be negative. You just have to drink more. With the strength training and the high protein you could easily have lost MORE and only a portion be the water. Great job, though. I always think of the loss of water weight as a peek at my true body weight, even though I know some of it will come back.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I would say it is the switch to a high protein diet..........protein in your diet makes a world of difference and you loose weight steadily....... look at all the crazy diets out there like Atkins and South Beach.....they are all geared towards high protein and low carbs and fixated with quick weight loss. I tried Atkins a while back and lost about 12 lb in one week ..... I felt awesome for losing the weight, but eventually started getting headaches and what not because I was eating no carbs...... it is not for everyone........ but some people are just fine with high protein. GOOD JOB, KEEP IT UP !!

That was my problem, too. It really works and it works really well for some people. If I am inactive, it works well, NOT really well. I think I am a carb person. I have all kinds of weaknesses, dizziness, heart palpitations, tummy aches, etc. when I am exercising and doing high protein, low carb. If I keep my carbs between 100 and 150, I'm fine for training. Unfortunately, it is too easy for me to be the 200's range.