thinking of getting new running shoes

Options
2»

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    If you do go for a fitting, buy from the store. Don't be a parasite and take the fitting then buy online.

+1
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    thank you for your responses, everyone!
    i went to a reputable running store in the area and had them watch me run.
    i overpronate a little and have a forefront strike.

i tried on a few different nikes that i didn't like including the pegasus.
    they didn't have the new free runs so i wasn't able to compare to the 4.0 i have.
    i'm gonna head to another store tomorrow to try on some different types. i took a few quizzes online and i was recommended:
    asics cumulus 17
    asics kayano
    asics qt 1000 3
    asics gel ds trainer 20
    saucony kinvara
    newton motion 111

i agree with all of you on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" method. but i bought my nike free runs over 2 years ago as i was just starting out running. and i got them off a casual recommendation from a friend. now, that i'm a little more serious about my running, i just want to test out other brands and models to see if there is a better fit for me.

i'll let you guys know what i end up with tomorrow!

All they offered were Nike? Or is that all you wanted?

Don't limit yourself to just one brand. And even with the same brand and style they can change from year to year. For example, the Nike Vomero 9's are different from the 10's. I believe Nike increased the drop in the 10's and the feel very different. My calves immediately complained when I switch. I ended up getting Brooks a couple weeks later.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    i overpronate a little

Drilling down on this for a sec: Over or just pronate a little?

I ask because for years I was diagnosed as over-pronating but in reality... my pronation wasn't much more than most. As a result I was often put in heavier stability / motion control shoes and some, notably the Brooks of the day, actually caused me pain as they were too "stable", too inflexible.

Today I'm running in totally neutral shoes with zero issues. Even minimalist neutral shoes with no issues.
    and have a forefront strike.

I've moved to a mid/forefoot strike and for that reason prefer a lower (6mm or less) to zero drop shoe. With some higher drop shoes I find my heel catching at times. If your store lets you run with them outside before purchase, be sure you do more than a token run.
    i tried on a few different nikes that i didn't like including the pegasus.
    they didn't have the new free runs so i wasn't able to compare to the 4.0 i have.
    i'm gonna head to another store tomorrow to try on some different types. i took a few quizzes online and i was recommended:
    asics cumulus 17
    asics kayano
    asics qt 1000 3
    asics gel ds trainer 20
    saucony kinvara
    newton motion 111

If the Kinvara makes sense for you, you might add the New Balance Vazee Pace; it's a neutral light-ish shoe without too much drop. Longest run I've done in them so far is 20+ miles. I'll probably use these mostly for faster street runs.

One thing I have done this time around (meaning: getting more serious about my running) is to have multiple types of shoes to wear. Currently I have a selection ranging from older Gel Kayano and Nike Zoom Pegasus (the stability influence) to NB Vazee Pace, the zero-drop Merrell Bare Access 4 Street and Merrell Bare Access Trail. Looking to add another trail shoe soon.

Not running in the same shoe all the time is good for me, probably good for most of us. If you are running a lot switching shoes from one day to the next might also prolong the life of all of them.
  • jacquelinelohr
    jacquelinelohr Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    So, I decided on the Asics Gel Cumulus 17. I tested them in store along with a bunch over other Asics, Brooks, Nikesand they just felt right. Since many of you recommended to have more than one pair, I might get another pair to race in, but have to save up.

The Nike Free 5.0 felt totally different than my 4.0 and I just didn't find them comfortable. So, that's definitely a caveat other runners/potential runners should be aware of. Newer models of shoes can feel completely foreign. Always test 'em out! (as @Gavin_Campbell pointed out).

Thank you so much for your input and advice. It really helped me make an educated decision that I was confident about! I hope this thread will help others looking to purchase new running shoes.

@dewd2 - I told the salesman I had the nike free 4.0 and he just gave me a bunch of nikes to try on. I told him I was open to other brands. They didn't have a huge selection at the store I went to, but it was nicely curated. You're right, though. I wanted to branch out from Nike so I thanked him and did some research on my own. Unfortunately, the owner of the store was busy and a high school kid was helping me. He was knowledgable and super helpful but he couldn't answer some of my questions and only showed me Nikes. Oh well.

@gdyment - They are like running with pillows on my feet. Super comfortable. I think they'll be great trainers. I'm looking into getting another lightweight minimal pair. Maybe I'll try the Kinvara!

@mwyvr @MeanderingMammal - I tried a few on in the store I got my gait analysis. I went home did some research. Then went to sports authority, found the Cumulus, went BACK to the store i got my gait analysis and they didn't have them. So ending up buying from sports authority. but I did try. I always try and support local companies.

@mwyvr - I'm not sure. He said "overpronate a little," but not enough to need a shoe that corrects it. Does that mean I'm neutral? I'm already looking at getting a second pair for racing - something like my old Nike Free 4.0. I just did my first 5 mile run with my Cumulus and I like them a lot, but I don't know if I'd like to race in them. I live in Chicago and don't have many trails where I live. Lots of road/street running. Do you think a minimal, more lightweight option would be a good second pair?

Sports Authority & the running store did not have the Kinvara, but I'd really like to try them on and maybe purchase a pair.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    @mwyvr - I'm not sure. He said "overpronate a little," but not enough to need a shoe that corrects it. Does that mean I'm neutral?

Pronation is normal for a large chunk of the population; it's only a potential problem when more severe. The shop that did the gait analysis would steer you to one or the other (motion control or neutral) based on their observations. Over the years what was often an automatic response - put the runner in stability shoes if they "pronate" - has softened some.

You might not be neutral but you might still suit a shoe that is neutral. Be sure they are comfortable - that seems to go a long way.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    The Cumulus (and the even higher level Nimbus) are like running with pillows on your feet. I love them for trainers (but they are $$). The Kinvara is a lightweight minimal shoe (I use for racing). I found the Brooks Ghost series a good trainer that lasts long for cheaper.
    So, I decided on the Asics Gel Cumulus 17. I tested them in store along with a bunch over other Asics, Brooks, Nikesand they just felt right. Since many of you recommended to have more than one pair, I might get another pair to race in, but have to save up.
    I'm definitely gonna try these Asics Gel Cumulus!
    I actually remember seeing them on a Runners Website and they got great reviews.
    They sound like a very good "2nd pair" for me to have.
    Glad you got it sorted OP,...they look great!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Just got my running store to put a pair of Cumulus 16's on hold for me. They were recommended to me a long time ago at my last fitting, though I couldn't afford them at the time. I was told that Nike Pegasus were a good substitute - and I found a pair of the Nike's at the shoe factory outlet for $80 so went with them. Have had them for a few months now and they were great.. But have just started getting bad arch pain which is slightly affecting my knees. Can't wait to pay the Cumulus 16's off and get some better support!