Measuring question

Options
Everyone says you should measure and not just weigh. .Because you might lose inches and not weight. I gotta pick me up a sewing measuring tape still but..

Where do you measure? Around your belly? Your legs?

Also how often?

Replies

• Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Hips. Waist. Thigh. Biceps. Neck. Chest. Those are usually the best places. Some people measure more, others less. I wouldn't measure more than 1/week. And I personally only measure 1/month.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I measure waist, hips & thighs. I am very small chested so dont bother with my bust, but you should probably measure there too. you can also do arms & neck if you want to be really thorough!

I do it at the same time as my weekly weigh in.
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. Yeah I'm really small chested too.. so hoping that doesn't get smaller lol. I was thinking about doing it every 2 weeks
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Hips. Waist. Thigh. Biceps. Neck. Chest. Those are usually the best places. Some people measure more, others less. I wouldn't measure more than 1/week. And I personally only measure 1/month.

Ok thanks I was thinking every 2 weeks
  • RubyA2011
    RubyA2011 Posts: 66
    Options
    i measure my waist, hips, bust and thighs i dont do it weekly but monthly.

my weigh in day is tuesday and so i measure the first tuesday of the month
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Good Question! I had this same question too....You can measure whatever you like..and you can even alter the names in the settings, so if you wanted to add something or remove it, you can....I decided on the following:

Neck
    Waist
    Hips
    Arm
    Thigh
    Chest

Some people measure both arms and both thighs...I only measure my right arm and right thigh..

and I take my measurements on the 1st of the month.

GOOD LUCK!
  • strauernicht
    Options

Neck is pretty easy, but I find it doesn't change much for me.

Chest should be done across the center.

Thighs can be difficult to get a consistant reading. If you move up or down at all, it can effect the reading depending on the shape of your legs.

Biceps or arms are the same as thighs. You want to make sure you get the same spot every time.

Waist should be approximately 2 inches below your belly button.

Hips should be across the pubic bone region. Make sure you get it across your glutes as well.

I find it helps to have someone help because some of the areas (Biceps, Chest and Thighs) can be tough to get on your own.
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    I measure everything that everyone else said. However, I measure two different places on my abs because that is one of my major target areas. I think it depends on you. I have seen other people that measure their calfs also. I am currently measuring once a week for a challenge that I had going but before that I was measuring every few weeks...pretty much whenever I felt like it no real reasoning.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Once every 3-4 weeks. I just blogged about it yesterday:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/beckyinma