Husband had a stroke. We both have 100lbs to lose

Options
Hi everyone. I'm 31 years old and a housewife with no children. and my 29 year old husband had a stroke last month. We're both about 100lbs overweight. Luckily my husband is doing fine post stroke. It was mild enough that he has no residual deficits. He's now on blood pressure medication.

In the last month, he's lost about 25lbs (he lost 15 in the hospital) and I've lost 5. It's very frustrating to lose at such a drastically different pace. I used to weigh 140lbs until we got together and I quit smoking. I'm happy that my husband is finally on board with our life style change. I wanted to do this for about 3 years but it's nearly impossible to do by yourself when you have a foodie living with you. :)

Anyway, I'm doing good staying within my calories but having issues with exercise. I have plantar fasciitis so everything hurts. I'm trying to push myself past the pain bc I know I right loss will help considerably.

Looking forward to using this community for support!

Replies

• cocotheenforcer
    cocotheenforcer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oops. I know WITH weight loss..
  • ace41010
    ace41010 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow thank you for sharing ya'lls story. I am glad he is doing better. I would love to be an encourager and support system for you guys.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Wishing you both the very best of luck. It's great that you are able to support eachother and do this together. Stay strong! :)
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Put half as much food on your plate as you did previously, eat your allotted fruits and veggies each day and walk! Can you get insoles for your shoes to make walking more bearable?
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Wow...so lucky to see a full recovery after stroke at such a young age! My husband had a stroke a year ago and also had a full recovery thankfully! I have travelled the weight loss journey with men before and it can be frustrating as they lose much quicker usually than us women. Just be on your own journey, know you can not eat as many calories as he does but you can support him and make sure you are both making healthy choices. Start moving a little at a time...You will both be able to move more with less pain as you start to lose weight.

Welcome to MFP! I look forward to following both of your journeys!
  • AFettes21
    AFettes21 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I've struggled with weight loss for many years and this is the first thing that I have done that has ACTUALLY worked! I have already lost over 60 pounds, although I had lost 99 pounds using MFP prior to getting pregnant with my 2nd child. When used correctly (staying in calories and exercise), this app works wonderful! Good luck on your journey and feel free to add me as a friend if you would like!
  • Smallerjojo2015
    Smallerjojo2015 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Men alway lose weight faster ( my husband has )
    Don't worry You can lose with very little exercise at the start ( as you lose weight you will be able to do more exercise)
    I joined myfittnesspal on the 6 of January this year
    I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol, I am a type 2 diabetic and I have asthma
    I needed to lose about 150 lbs
    I have lost 97 lbs so far
    Because of my health I could not do exercise
    I started with housework , then walking my dog with my husband
    About 6 weeks ago I started on a exercise bike for 5 mins every few day
    I can now do 14 minutes plus
    Last week I saw my doctor and I have been given the OK to do real exercise
    I have joined a gym and have my induction on Monday
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    ^^ All of that up there. You do not need to exercise to lose weight, though it helps with increasing your deficit, and is great for your body for all kinds of things. That said, please don't blindly push through the pain unless you've been cleared by a doctor who has looked at whatever is going on

If you're not losing at your expected rate, I would go into the Getting Started forum and read all the stickies there thoroughly. Something there should help you figure out how to lose at your expected pace
  • packersfan0103
    packersfan0103 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried rebounding exercise? I have a mini trampoline and I used a lot.
    Oh and you do want to lose weight at a slow healthy weight to ensure that it will stay off.