Today!

Options
Today I have a birthday party to attend! I will not graze like a cow! I will eat a meal the stop with that! No cake!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You could have a little piece of cake too! Try moderation, you cannot avoid eating cake for the rest of your life.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    It may be that the OP isn't ready for moderation of cake and other sweet things just yet, particularly if just starting out, sometimes people find it works best for them if the eliminate their trigger foods for a short period of time.

OP, enjoy your party and meal, make the event about celebration and catching up with friends and/or family not the food.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It may be that the OP isn't ready for moderation of cake and other sweet things just yet, particularly if just starting out, sometimes people find it works best for them if the eliminate their trigger foods for a short period of time.

OP, enjoy your party and meal, make the event about celebration and catching up with friends and/or family not the food.

I agree but I just wanted to point it out to her :) A lot of people think bypassing cake is needed to lose weight.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    But cake isn't necessary. It's a social norm to stuff your face with a boat load of sugar. We can celebrate birthdays in a healthier manner if we choose to :smiley: Cake isn't required to have fun!
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    But cake isn't necessary. It's a social norm to stuff your face with a boat load of sugar. We can celebrate birthdays in a healthier manner if we choose to :smiley: Cake isn't required to have fun!

This has struck quite a note with me as it's just so true. It's my birthday later this month. I've been avoiding cakes/chocolate/sugar-laden food for two reasons - 1) I will eat the lot and 2) deep down I know that I don't actually need it (doesn't stop me wanting it though). I told my children that I didn't want a cake (too many candles anyway) so my husband suggested carrot cake as a "healthy" alternative . . . he needs more education :smile: And he knows that I HATE carrot cake! Will have to think of a healthier alternative.
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was my birthday and kids and hubby got me calorie-laden gifts (they don't know I've decided to lose weight). When its MY birthday I am happy to eat a few extra junky calories (and damn that vintage wine was good!)

Now today I have to attend someone else's party and I won't be eating the cake either OP, and it won't interfere with my fun OR with my goals!
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I recommended to a friend earlier that if it's for your own birthday, and your family is adamant that you are going to GET cake, then a sponge cake would be a good choice. Plain sponge cake is quite low fat/calorie, and you can add a spoon of real whipped cream (where you control the sugar) and some fruit, and BAM! you have a tasty, healthier birthday cake :smiley: Win win!! But the store bought sugar loaded cakes, for me, are a no go. I can think of 100 different things I'd rather "spend" 800 calories on!