What was your rock bottom?

Options
finnsgma
finnsgma Posts: 55 Member
Mine happened just after the holidays when I was 39. I was about 220 pounds, the heaviest I had ever been. I had two amazing kids, a great husband, and just felt awful. My feet ached every morning when I got out of bed, I had anxiety that was getting worse, which included physical symptoms like chest pain, nausea, and headaches, and I felt exhausted all the time. I had never felt so physically "old and sick" in my life. I spent an entire weekend feeling really depressed about it and then woke up with a sort of clarity about everything and realized it was only going to get worse as I got older. I made "fabulous by forty" my goal.

What about you?

Replies

• pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    My passport photo ...
  • redrosez4
    redrosez4 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    As Pootle pointed out, photos never lie. I always avoided them, but one day, at 235 pounds, several pictures were taken of me from an event at work and I was completely shocked when I saw them. I looked huge, and I didn't see myself as looking like that. I knew it was bad, but this was beyond what I imagined. That image is still burned in my brain, but I am 70 pounds lighter and creating a new life for myself.
  • BackupFridge
    BackupFridge Posts: 105 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    When I had two slices of cake and potato chips one day.

To a lesser extent, when I was 15 and realized hydrogenated oils were the equivalent of trans fat even though the nutrition label laws permitted the scumbags from omitting them from reflecting that in the numbers. Turns out all those Quaker's Oats bars were poison.
  • astrdomitter
    astrdomitter Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Couldn't button my pants anymore
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    When I got diagnosed with idiopathic intracranial hypertension.
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Seeing photos of myself at New Year's Eve 2015. It took me almost 10 months to come to terms with it, conquer my fear, and change it.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    To a lesser extent, when I was 15 and realized hydrogenated oils were the equivalent of trans fat even though the nutrition label laws permitted the scumbags from omitting them from reflecting that in the numbers.

They aren't. Firstly, a fully hydrogenated oil is neither a cis nor a trans fat - it lacks any double bonds which could be cis or trans (that's why it's "fully" hydrogenated). For example, the new crisco shortening is a mix of an oil and a fully hydrogenated oil, and contains no trans fats.

Secondly, partially hydrogenation can lead to trans fats. If it produces trans fats, they do have to label it unless the amount is small enough that it's below the threshold they have to use. Anything with more than 0.5 grams of trans fat must label it, unless it's a natural trans fat (which hydrogenated oil isn't).
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    That's an interesting question. I think I spent about a year at my rock bottom without admitting it. Then on Jan 19, a new fitness challenge started at my office and I started that day and haven't looked back. It will be 10 months next week and 62+ pounds gone!
  • BackupFridge
    BackupFridge Posts: 105 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    To a lesser extent, when I was 15 and realized hydrogenated oils were the equivalent of trans fat even though the nutrition label laws permitted the scumbags from omitting them from reflecting that in the numbers.

They aren't. Firstly, a fully hydrogenated oil is neither a cis nor a trans fat - it lacks any double bonds which could be cis or trans (that's why it's "fully" hydrogenated). For example, the new crisco shortening is a mix of an oil and a fully hydrogenated oil, and contains no trans fats.

Secondly, partially hydrogenation can lead to trans fats. If it produces trans fats, they do have to label it unless the amount is small enough that it's below the threshold they have to use. Anything with more than 0.5 grams of trans fat must label it, unless it's a natural trans fat (which hydrogenated oil isn't).

I just want to verify and have you peruse this:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/high-blood-cholesterol/in-depth/trans-fat/art-20046114

"But most trans fat is formed through an industrial process that adds hydrogen to vegetable oil, which causes the oil to become solid at room temperature.

This partially hydrogenated oil is less likely to spoil, so foods made with it have a longer shelf life."

Just about every page I'm looking at say they constitute trans fat. Are you only touching on the difference between partial and full hydrogenation? If so, that isn't in dispute. The bars I was eating fulfill every all the criteria I'm looking at in the provided link. If I'm confused then please do clarify (I'd actually like to be wrong about this, haha).

Finally: you're echoing what I said about the nutrition labels and how they can exempt themselves from being precise. I was scoffing at the law, not saying they weren't abiding by it or anything like that. I just hate misinformation. I think consumers should be able to decide what is and isn't a relevant limit for themselves, and they should be able to extract accurate data and do what they will from there onward.
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Over this summer. My health plummeted quick and my weight went up even quicker. One part of hitting rock bottom included my s/o and I going to Florida and seeing myself in pictures in a bathing suit wasn't fun... at all. Then I realized I really didn't fit into any of my clothes. I had a horse show after I got back, and I couldn't fit into my show clothes. Also, I was fatigued and exhausted all the time. Would get out of breath just from getting out of a chair. Now that I'm exercising and eating right, I feel great!! :D It's such a huge improvement.
  • a_manda
    a_manda Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    About a year ago I started having increased depression and anxiety and was dealing with it all by emotional eating. I would lie to myself saying it was because of my job and I didn't have time to eat healthy when I was constantly in the car driving. Drive Thru's were easier and it "made" me feel better. Fast forward after a year of living like this and getting as high as 240 (all time high for me) I started having medical problems. Horrible headaches which I attributed to stress turned out to be caused by swelling in my optic nerves which was caused swelling/pressure in my brain. Immediate fear for several weeks while I went through tests to rule out brain tumor, MS, and several other things. I was eventually diagnosed with a disorder called pseudotumor cerebri something that is most common in obese women in their 20s. This was like a slap in the face because until this point I figured my weight wasn't a problem health wise meant it wasn't really a big deal. I started the day I learned I might have pseudotumor cerebri and haven't looked back. Medical issues are scary but it was definitely the kick in the pants I needed to take weight loss seriously.
  • beverlyjlarson
    beverlyjlarson Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I knew my weight had been slowly creeping up but I was avoiding the scale. My Grandkids were visiting in July and of course pictures happen. When I saw how huge I had become I was so embarrassed. I had vacation coming up a couple of weeks after their visit. I promised myself that right after vacation I would get serious about taking care of myself. I kept true to my promise. I have upped my exercise and have been eating healthy..at this point I am 18# lighter and much more fit. I am going to keep my promise to myself and become a much healthier vursion of me.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Over two years ago I was at an event and felt really jealous when my husband bumped into a high school (female ) friend. He did nothing wrong and I realized it was my insecurity. Then two months later I saw pictures of myself at another event and that's right when I started to change my habits.
    It's been a long two years and a slow crawl but I'm roughly ten lbs away from
    Goal.
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I don't know that it was a matter of hitting rock bottom so much as accepting that "I seriously need to change this.". I am 6' tall and have been over 300 pounds for around 15 years (at my peak back in January I was 387) and have always had a very messed up relationship with food.

About 6 months ago or so I had a bit of a heart scare and started going through testing (everything is OK thankfully was likely stress) and decided I was going to HAVE to make some changes. My knees are terrible, my back is bad and I lead a very sedentary lifestyle. I drive forklift for a living so I am sitting all day, then drive home sitting in a car to sit at the computer for hours before going to bed to watch TV with the wife for a few hours. I am 47 and feel like I am 70 most days.

I have been tired of having to try and find clothes that cover the nakedness even if it doesn't flatter it and I too have seen pictures and the mirror and yeah, that isn't the unrealistic image I have of myself. Work started requiring uniforms (just shirts) and I had to simply HOPE the largest size would fit and it barely did. So something had to change.

I knew I couldn't do (or afford - though that wasn't a factor) bariatric surgery so I am going on a non-surgical plan. Finding out I am insulin resistant, pre-diabetic, dysmetabolic syndrome, BMI over 50 meant I had to make some changes and was started on high protein/low carb changes. I am getting into more of a routine and learning a lot which helps. And it stuns me when I can come home and despite eating something every 2 hours (stuff I am supposed too eat) and realize I still am only around 1000 calories prior to afterwork snack and dinner.

I am seeing progress (down to 346) and that is encouraging.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Realizing I looked fatter when my son was 9 months old, than I did when I came home from the hospital with him. And having to do up my pants with an elastic, because I couldn't afford to buy a third wardrobe in a year.
  • redperphexion
    redperphexion Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    ponycyndi wrote: »
    third wardrobe in a year.

Ugh the clothing struggle is too real....
  • coloradoartstudio
    coloradoartstudio Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Seeing photos of myself at an event where I had to do some public speaking in early August...followed up by a visit to my doctor who told me that I'm a candidate for cholesterol and BP meds in addition to being borderline pre-diabetic. Ughhh!

I turn 50 next year and I want to be active, not sick and debilitated.
  • justalittlecrazy
    justalittlecrazy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I started backpacking with my kids saying "hey, I'm fat but I'm healthy." Then I had a TIA- a warning stroke that says your body is in bad shape and you need to get it together before you have a big one. I lost a bunch, got sidetracked by major life complications and got started back at it 3 weeks ago. I'm down about 47 overall... and another 110 or so to go.
  • docparker5899
    docparker5899 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My rock bottom was June 10, 2010. I was 265 lbs, 58 years old, retired and enjoying overeating and not much else. I was mowing my sis-in-law's lawn after lunch in the North Texas heat (105, I believe) with a push mower and started feeling nauseous. I literally lost my lunch behind the lawnmower but CONTINUED TO FINISH THE LAWNMOWING! (what an IDIOT!). I drove 30 mins home, still feeling bad, took a shower and laid down. I finally realized that "this ain't normal" and asked my wife to call the ambulance (1st time in my life). They came, loaded me up and took me to the local hospital. I HAD HAD A MILD HEART ATTACK THAT AFTERNOON WHILE MOWING THE LAWN! I was admitted and prepped for a stent the following morning. My cardiologist, Dr. Wahid (bless the man!) went in my inner thigh, looked around my heart and stopped the stent insertion. Back to my room with a big question mark as to what the hell just happened. In about an hour, he came in to tell me I was scheduled for triple-bypass surgery the next morning with Dr. Jett (another angel sent!). When he went in, he found three of my coronary arteries 90% blocked and adding a stent to one was NOT going to do them any good. I've never been so scared and so depressed in my life! I put on a brave face for my family but I've NEVER had a longer night of no sleep and prayer and anxiety and anger at myself for slowly letting myself get to the poor condition I had gotten into.
    To make a long(er) story short(ish), I got out of the hospital a week later and swore NOT to die a sick, fat old man. The day after I got out of the hospital, I went out for a walk with my wife, went about 100 yards from my house and had to sit down on the curb and rest before I could walk (VERY slowly) back. In the 5+ years since then, I'm at 222 lbs today. I've steadily increased my aerobic exercise so now I do CrossFit 5 days/week, walk my dogs every day and try to improve my food intake daily (I now call that Fueling). I'm currently experimenting with the Paleo way of fueling and looking for ways to lose body fat. My goal is to get my body fat down to 20% initially and settle my weight at whatever it might be at that body fat level. If my dream comes true, one day I can visit Dr. Wahid and Dr. Jett and tell them my body fat is in the single digits.
    I hope to use this and other forums to use YOUR expertise to find the most efficient journey from here (40% body fat - Category OBESE) to my primary goal (20%) and the onto my DREAM Goal (9% Body Fat). I have faith you all can help me be the fittest, strongest, bestest me I can be. The Journey Continues.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    This past year I discovered that I was prediabetic and developed osteoarthritis in my hips. Then my knees became arthritic. It was to the point where it hurt to walk and I was limping most of the time. I was only 40-41, previously very active, and i wasn't ready to become old and crippled yet.

I knew a LCHF diet was the best way to treat my issues but it took me a few months to build up to making the change. I wasn't ready to let go of soda, candies, and chips. I finally did a few months ago and it has been so rewarding and easy that I am kicking myself for not having done it years ago.