Nigerian/African Food....HELP!

Options
Soooooo I'm super excited to be going to this Nigerian party in San Diego tonight however there will be tons of delicious FREE African food. I don't even know how I would begin to try and log any of this! There is no formal menu and so many different variations... and alcohol/juice tooooo. I am so nervous. I know this might not be a big deal for some but I really struggle with overindulgence. Plus it's FREEEEE I'm gonna wanna try everything. Any tips on how to survive tonight would be greatly appreciated!!!!!! Thank youuuuuuu! ♡ p.s. if you're in the San Diego area and wanna come inbox me! Everyone is welcome!

Replies

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    jaleesarc wrote: »
    Soooooo I'm super excited to be going to this Nigerian party in San Diego tonight however there will be tons of delicious FREE African food. I don't even know how I would begin to try and log any of this! There is no formal menu and so many different variations... and alcohol/juice tooooo. I am so nervous. I know this might not be a big deal for some but I really struggle with overindulgence. Plus it's FREEEEE I'm gonna wanna try everything. Any tips on how to survive tonight would be greatly appreciated!!!!!! Thank youuuuuuu! ♡ p.s. if you're in the San Diego area and wanna come inbox me! Everyone is welcome!

If it's one night then eat whatever you want & get back to your exercise/fitness lifestyle the next day.
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Just try a small sample of everything. Just be happy you aren't going to a Nigerian or African based restaurant. Their cuisine can be heavy on the oils.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    jaleesarc wrote: »

I'll tell you what I do at big group dinners (like Thanksgiving) where there are many dishes, or in the rare buffet situation (I avoid buffets)...I try tiny little portions of EVERYTHING that interests me...but by tiny I mean a lot of things are like two bites worth. I fill my plate with all these little sample sized portions. Things like green veggies and other low cal items I will eat larger portions of to fill up. Then I go back and take slightly larger portions but ONLY of the things I liked the best. Last year at Thanskgiving there were 4 different desserts...I tried all of them but only ate about the equivalent of ONE medium sized slice.

Maybe something like this could work well for you...you'll eat more than usual, but won't go crazy.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Send me some, OP :( Unfortunately I'm not in the San Diego area. Drink up some water before you begin? I'd treat it like a buffet, small quantities of things you want to try, then maybe a bit more of the ones you like after you eat them. These events can be hit or miss, too. Sometimes the food gets gone VERY quickly, so you're not tempted to get seconds. Other times there's enough to feed all the attendees for a week it seems, with the to go boxes provided, too!!
  • jaleesarc
    jaleesarc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys for alllllll of the tips! I ended up just eating a protein bar for breakfast and lunch to save on calories then at the party they made everyone's plate. I didn't even get to finish my food because I guess my stomach is shrinking lol it wasn't even that much food. I did get a to go box and Tupperware full of food but I left it at my mom's house in San Diego instead of bringing it home with me. However, I did have a few alcoholic drinks. All in all, I think I did very well. Plus all of the dancing I'm sure I burned off the majority of calories. I am proud of myself!!!!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Great job! Glad you enjoyed yourself
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    One meal can't make you fat and one meal can't make you skinny.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I would kill for some Jollof rice right now...
  • Thowe92
    Thowe92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Fried plantains sound kind of good right now.