Need to find the right eating plan

Options
I can't seem to find the right combination of foods to hit my nutrition targets. I dance classical ballet and do strength training but after 18 months my waist continues to grow bigger (gained 2.5") and my body fat % increased 2.1%. My weekly schedule is:

Monday - strength training and cardio
Tuesday - 2.5 hours ballet
Wednesday - 2.75 hours ballet
Thursday - 1.5 hours ballet
Friday strength training
Saturday - strength training and cardio

My day job is office work and a lot of sitting. I'm female, age 51, only 4'11" and I weigh 118.5.

My trainer suggested the following nutrition targets:
Fat 35-45g
Carbs 110-125g
Protein 140-150g

I keep trying to plan my meals but I can't find the right combinations where I ever hit the protein target without exceeding either the fat or carb target. I'm also drinking "Pure Protein" shakes with unsweetened almond milk and eating a "Quest" protein bar each day to boost my protein.

Any suggestions, cookbooks, or a recommended diet/eating plan?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Perhaps you should lower your protein goal?

Even with all of the physical activity that you do, you don't need that much protein. The top goal, with your current body weight, should be 118 g per day of protein. If I were you, I'd aim for between 80 and 100 grams.

Those calories could then be split between carbs and fats or even just shifted to fats.
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    There's no reason you need that much protein. You don't weigh enough to utilize it all. You can only use about .8 grams per pound of lean mass. If these were my stats I'd do this: if eating at maintenence my suggestion is between 80 - 100 grams protein, around 75 grams fat with the rest of the calories in carbs. If you're trying to lose weight and are restricting calories, I'd drop fat to around 50 grams and keep proteins and carbs the same.
  • pstegman888
    pstegman888 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I can't address the amount of protein you are eating, but as far as meeting a goal: I don't hit the exact goal every day, but instead try to hit it on a weekly basis. So if I am under on my proteins for a few days, I will make it up by having a Protein Day where I basically minimize carbs and eat mostly meat and dairy all day.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    You are eating a lot more protein than you need. You should consider reducing protein and replacing it with more fat...you may not be eating enough fat currently
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    There's no reason you need that much protein. You don't weigh enough to utilize it all. You can only use about .8 grams per pound of lean mass. If these were my stats I'd do this: if eating at maintenence my suggestion is between 80 - 100 grams protein, around 75 grams fat with the rest of the calories in carbs. If you're trying to lose weight and are restricting calories, I'd drop fat to around 50 grams and keep proteins and carbs the same.
    I agree with this plan. If there are lots of bubbles in the toilet after urination you are excreting that excess protein, so there is no need to continue to over consume if it is ending up there and not strengthening or repairing muscles.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    You are eating a lot more protein than you need. You should consider reducing protein and replacing it with more fat...you may not be eating enough fat currently

Agreed. Does your trainer have any kind of degree in nutrition or dietetics? Because this seems way long on protein and short on fat. I'm 5'9", 150 lb and I don't eat that much protein.

I'd try to find a registered dietician if you want a professional opinion on what you should be eating.
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    The amount of protein you're going for does seem excessive... I'm basically repeating what the others have said, but I think you could aim for 100 grams a day as a more than adequate target and increase carbs and/or fats to give yourself the same calorie target.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing, you're not in a deficit. I would start there.
  • Sabastianni
    Sabastianni Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's responses. Thank you.