You'll never guess my healthy chocolate craving fix!

Options
greymouse
greymouse Posts: 31 Member
edited October 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hi :)

So I normally choose savory over sweet if given the option, but tonight for some reason I was craving a chocolate fix big time!

I went to my 'I Quit Sugar' book for inspiration but didn't have most of the ingredients (who has coconut oil just lying around!) but I did still manage to get inspired by a dessert idea in the book that used banana for 'creamyness'... Here's my idea, which I'm calling the "Choc-Banana Spice Slurpee" :)

Only 160 calories a serve. Eat with a spoon, or slurp it up :)

Simply put into blender and whizz & enjoy! Introducing the "Choco-Banana Spice Slurpee"...

* 1 x banana
* Handful of ice (about 5 big cubes)
* 1/4 cup lite milk (could use water or coconut water if wanting dairy free option)
* 1 tablespoon pure cocoa powder (like you use for cooking, no sugar)
* 1/2 teaspoon minced ginger (from jar is easiest)
* Pinch salt
* Two shakes nutmeg (aka 1/4 teaspoon)
* Two shakes cinnamon (aka 1/4 teaspoon)

I prefer to eat mine with a spoon, straight from the blender (less washing up) plus it takes longer to eat, I'm more satisfied and it just prolongs the enjoyment = win-win-win :) Hope you try it and enjoy! :)

If you have your own versions of this, or other healthy treats, I'd love to hear them xx

Ps. I try to post shots of most of my food ideas and exercise on insta @zoewarne xx

Pps. I find the nutmeg and cinnamon together as a special depth to the flavour, but don't stress if you don't have both or either, it's still good without, just not as spiced :)

Replies

• echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...that actually sounds pretty tasty.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Or you could have a square of dark chocolate for 60 calories, lol.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I eat Trader Joe's dark chocolate when I'm craving chocolate. Half a bar is around 140 cals... but I usually eat between 1/4 - 1/3 of the bar, so that's even less than 140.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    For 160 cals there are a number of ice cream options available. For 100 cals more you could have a serving of Talenti!
  • greymouse
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    For 160 cals there are a number of ice cream options available. For 100 cals more you could have a serving of Talenti!

True, but I imagine they have sugar or fake sweeteners. This idea is about natural, unprocessed good stuff that still tastes yummy, that was the idea behind it :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Oh bananas. They tick me off. Leave me feeling more hungry than I was before I ate it. Luckily I have a long list of foods for volume while cutting.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    greymouse wrote: »

True, but I imagine they have sugar or fake sweeteners. This idea is about natural, unprocessed good stuff that still tastes yummy, that was the idea behind it :)

Ahh so you used the bananas and milk that don't have sugar in them? And the cocoa powder that comes straight from the tree?

Just to be clear, I have no issue with people coming up with tasty recipes to satisfy their cravings and I commend your ingenuity for adding ginger, that's a good idea. But saying that it is healthier because it doesn't have sugar or isn't processed isn't really accurate, because the ingredients you use have fructose, lactose, and are actually quite processed. Which is fine! The pint of Haagen Daaz in my freezer has cream, milk, sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla extract. And that's fine too!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options

Ahh so you used the bananas and milk that don't have sugar in them? And the cocoa powder that comes straight from the tree?

Just to be clear, I have no issue with people coming up with tasty recipes to satisfy their cravings and I commend your ingenuity for adding ginger, that's a good idea. But saying that it is healthier because it doesn't have sugar or isn't processed isn't really accurate, because the ingredients you use have fructose, lactose, and are actually quite processed. Which is fine! The pint of Haagen Daaz in my freezer has cream, milk, sugar, egg yolks, and vanilla extract. And that's fine too!

Baking chocolate powder is pure ground up cocoa beans. No sugar. I make hot chocolate this way all the time, using splenda or stevia for sweetening. It's good and one tablespoon of the baking chocolate has only 10 calories. :) But, yeah, bananas are sugar in fruit form.
  • greymouse
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

True, but one square of chocolate doesn't last long. This takes about 5-10 mins to eat and prolongs the chocolate enjoyment ;)
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Oh bananas. They tick me off. Leave me feeling more hungry than I was before I ate it. Luckily I have a long list of foods for volume while cutting.

That & apples. If I eat an apple I am hangry pretty much a half hour or less later.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

What she said.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

That & apples. If I eat an apple I am hangry pretty much a half hour or less later.

For me it's grapes. They cause me wrath.
  • marybeth062
    marybeth062 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Same here!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options

^^^This usually satisfies my chocolate craving and I can make a little square last a long time.

If I want more than that, I'll mix some chocolate PB2 and eat it with half a honeycrisp apple. I find that pretty filling and satisfies the sweet tooth.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

Punny. I like.
  • yummypotroast
    yummypotroast Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I always thought chocolate and banana would taste kind of gross together until I tried a choco banana smoothie yesterday at this new juice place in Gangnam. It was so amazing! The blended frozen banana gives it a creamy icy texture that tastes almost like ice cream but stays cold longer. I'll definitely be returning to get more and I will try out this recipe with ginger when I get my hands on a blender!
  • greymouse
    Options

Haha, you are clever & funny :)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Ugh, the wrath of grapes. They can be cruel :laugh:
  • greymouse
    Options

What she said.

I didn't actually say it was healthier at any point, just to be clear. It's just an idea to share and a way of satisfying a chocolate craving :)
  • greymouse
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »

^^^This usually satisfies my chocolate craving and I can make a little square last a long time.

If I want more than that, I'll mix some chocolate PB2 and eat it with half a honeycrisp apple. I find that pretty filling and satisfies the sweet tooth.

That's a great idea making that mix, good thinking 99 :)