Did you have fears to overcome?

Options
When you started your weight loss journey, did you find you had fears to break through?

Fear of change?
Fear of discomfort?
Fear of failure?
Fear of success, even?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. I had Fear Of Death. That's what got me started. So, kind of a quiet, subdued panic that quickly focused on setting about the business of getting healthier. I was like, "This is the best thing for me, so this is what I will do." I just didn't focus on "What if it doesn't work?" because there is nothing I can do about that What If. If that, well...then that. But I was going to try to avoid that. Cross that bridge if it shows up, but not worry about it.

I never thought I couldn't do it. I knew I could. It sucked - sometimes, a lot - but I knew I could. I never even considered that I couldn't. Even when I'd slide or fall, I knew I was going to get right back in the game.

Failing just wasn't even an option I considered. There is no room for failure here, so I just won't. I made up my mind very quickly, set about the business of doing it and while I struggled, I just never even considered quitting or failing.

I'm not even sure just why someone who really wants it would consider failing an option. Why? If that's what you really want, that's what you do.

Make up your mind about what you want and then Do That.

Don't make room for failure. Duh.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Fear of rebound. That kept me running all last winter. I'm still running.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope, I was just determined and then excited.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    For example: Fear of failure is what keeps a lot of people from even trying to lose weight. But that's not really a fear; just an excuse in disguise. (What's the point of trying? It's never going to work, yada yada). Once someone is determined to lose weight, all the fears (disguised as excuses) fly away.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hm. I'd say excuses are fears disguised.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I didn't fear not being able to lose, I have done that repeatedly over the years. I did have some fears about maintaining, but through educating myself and acquainting myself with people who have been successful at maintaining I feel more confident. Unreasonable fears kept me from losing before. Reasonable fears about my health is what is motivating me to get lean and fit and stay that way.
  • entwife
    entwife Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Fear of not coping - food was comfort & stress relief & relaxation.
    Fear of the work - I don't have a huge amount to lose but it just seemed like such hard work, so difficult, time consuming
    Then finally - like Pp said - fear of death. And or fear of disease. I was fooling myself looking for comfort in food, it was just a quick fix and making everything worse. And the work of losing weight is nothing compared to learning to walk again after a foot amputation or being exhausted every day because your heart can't pump any longer.
    So i switched from working about the fear to searching for baby steps that brought me closer to my goal. Still have a ways to go but the ball is rolling and fear isn't going to control me any longer yayyy!
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    Fear of failure and fear of discomfort. I just turned 30 today, so I'm still pretty young. I've been obese since I was 11 - the same age I started my first diet. I would lose 20-30 pounds here and there as an adolescent. In the last 10 years, I have lost a grand total of 370 pounds. That's counting my current loss, one 75 pound loss, one 125 pound loss, and one 90 pound loss - from starting weights that have a range of 120 pounds from the low end to the high end. Guess which end of that range I started at this time? (Hint: Not the low end). Yeah, I have lost a good chunk, but I am still morbidly obese right now.

That's a hell of a lot of yo-yo right there, and I don't know what that says about me or what it means for my future, but the people who find out about my weight history are usually horrified and baffled about the regains - thus I only tell real life people with a legitimate reason to know. As for how I am doing right now, things are simple. This is easily going to be 100+ lost territory. Beyond that, I can't tell you. One day at a time. I'm loving going clothes shopping again, though the sizes that I am thrilled by would make many women cry, lol. I see things a lot differently because of my experience with all of this. I have my neuroses, but I also have some zen.

• Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    My biggest fear was how long it was going to take. I had been overweight before, but not even half as overweight as I finally ended up, so I had an idea of how long a slog it would be.

But I didn't have anything better to do. Nothing at all.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've got nothing to lose. It's either I do it or keep myself under that dark pit.
  • ButBurgersAreDelicious
    Options
    I have a few different fears. Change and failure. Change because I've always known myself over weight. I don't know if I can handle liking my body. Hm.. Failure, because I have failed so many times before. I yo yo, I don't stick to it, and I make excuses for myself constantly. Not awesome. And then.. My SO and I are both over weight, both working on it, eating differently, exercising together. He is losing faster than me, which is fine, and I am happy for him, but I'm scared I won't catch up and he'll be disgusted by my lack of results. Pretty much an unfounded fear, since he wants to marry me as I am, but fears aren't always logical, right?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    There was a little bit of fear that helped to get me started. Several things came together that prompted me to sign on here, but one was the fear that if I stayed overweight much longer, I'd have to deal with loose skin and saggy-ness. I'm not getting any younger, things are starting to sag anyway ... so ...

I was a bit concerned about how much effort would be involved. So when I started, I decided to sign on for 3 weeks. At the end of 3 weeks I would decide what to do next, but I figured I might have lost a kilogram or 2 and would quit. However, during those 3 weeks, when I discovered how simple it was, I decided to keep going. :)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Yes. I had to overcome the fear of answering stranger's questions on the internet.
    Oh on my weight loss journey, not to post in this thread. No, would call anything fear other than maybe pricing out better fitting clothes part way through knowing they'd all be over sized too.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I wasn't very confident that I would lose weight just by logging my food and watching my calorie intake. I thought it would be tedious and I would quit. My expectations were maybe I'd lose 5 lbs and then stall and quit. I never thought I would actually come to enjoy logging my food and lose more than I've ever lost before.

I had to overcome fear about stepping on the scale. Starting out I gritted my teeth and closed my eyes as I stepped on the scale. Now I know that even if I don't see a loss that day it doesn't mean I am not on the right track over time. It isn't the only measure of progress.
  • nyponbell
    nyponbell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Fear of change?
    Fear of discomfort?
    Fear of failure?
    Fear of success, even?

I'm mostly afraid of trying to succeed but failing to reach my goal, even if I succeed "enough" to be healthy and happy. I'm not afraid of change (in the sense that my life has to be more carefully managed now and I need to make time to go to the gym) because I do enjoy that, but I'm actually mostly afraid of my life *not* changing due to my weight loss -- that I will still be the rather shy person who doesn't go for what she wants. And while I know my weight loss won't change my personality, I also know that it's holding me back from doing things I really want to do (like running a 5k, date more). So this is something I'm still struggling with, but am actually seeking help for (my fear of success/failure makes me sabotage any significant loss I make).

I'm not afraid of the discomfort of working out or even feeling a bit hungry - so long as I'm not in pain for days (though I've been there) and I'm not hungry enough I feel like I'm going to faint (though I've been there; not related to the "diet" I'm on though, just from lack of eating when I should) I'm good to go!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I feared failure, most definitely.

It got to the point where I just *knew* I wouldn't fail as I wanted to reach my goals so badly - but I often had that niggling voice in my head saying "What if you decide to give up?!". I had to really believe in myself and stay strong.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    No. By the time I found MFP I was ready to change the way I was living so I wouldn't have to repeat what I had done already.

r05m5fnnb5nw.jpeg
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I feared getting out of breath. Hospitalised for pneumonia and asthma will do that to a girl

Also cows

I'm no longer scared of being out of breath
  • CNG223
    CNG223 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Fear of failing in some ways. I decided when I was going to get healthy that I would tell all the people closest to me 1) for support 2) to hold me accountable and 3) to keep myself in check because I knew they were watching (like when we went out to eat, if we worked out together, etc). I didn't tell anyone negative. My husband as been so supportive (hes in really good shape) and helps me shop, works out with me and tells me all the time when he can see differences in my body. With him and my best friend watching and helping, I don't want to let them down. I want to make them proud!