how long do i need to exercise to have that beach body look with my body weight?

Options
saif1996
saif1996 Posts: 111 Member
edited October 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
hello

i am an 18 year old male, 67kg and 5'9

so i've started exercising again last year i was 90Kg but dropped to 65kg but gained 2Kg over the year

and i am thinking of losing a little bit more weight just 5-7kg would that be ok? or should i stop?

i dont like my body it just looks awful, i have manboobs and bit of a belly and the doctor says i have 15% of fat but i dont belive him because i've seen the different % pictures and i look more like a 20% but i wanna be 10-7% fat will it be possible? if so, how long?

and if i should start lifting weight how do i go by that? i have no idea how to do it in a correct way?

and when do you think i can achieve a 6 pack and a V shape with my body that i described? 3 months? 6 months? a year!? more!?!?!?

and this is my diet by the way its
wheat bread only! tuna sandwich, turkey sandwich, fruits, boiled eggs, healthy cereal and sometimes sandwich from subway
drinks? only water nothing else but water like 6 glass a day

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

And that diet (which is primary to losing weight) sounds very inadequate for your needs. You'll have to fuel your body, especially when lifting weights.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, with a progressive lifting program, muscle mass can increase, if you have adequate nutrition. Protein is essential. There are two ways you can go. Recomp is much slower, you eat at maintenance and gradually gain muscle. The other way is to do a bulk and cut. You eat at a surplus for a period of say 3 months while building muscle and then you eat at a deficiate for 3 months to lose any fat covering the muscle you built during bulk while continuing to lift to maintain muscle mass. You can not gain muscle in a deficiate, you will gain muscle and fat during a bulk.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I don't think you really need to lose more *weight* ... you just want to lose fat. You should probably look into recomp.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1

Basically, eat at maintenance (about 2300 calories according to IIFYM calculator), get about 120g protein a day, lift heavy, and be patient. Your diet sounds awfully restrictive, IMO. You need more veggies, especially. And don't be afraid of dairy - it's a good, easy source of protein. (But a lot of that is for health rather than simply weight management).

Even if you want to "cut" a few more pounds (eating around 2000 a day) before bulking and then cutting again, you will need a good lifting program.

I honestly don't know which will get you there faster, recomp or bulk/cut cycling. I prefer recomp, because I have a hard time knowing I'll add fat during a bulk (can't get around that) even though I'll lose it (along with some muscle) in a cut.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    You're young, you have that on your side.

If you want to enjoy life and not just have a 'beach body' find something active you love to do. This might take awhile, but it will make you far more well-rounded than those who do workout 'chores' just to have a certain look. And while you're doing what you love, ignore that little voice that tells you people are judging you for how you look while you're doing it. Go out. Have physically active FUN!

And if that doesn't make everything fall into place for you, if you still need a bit more, check the fitness/exercise section here, make friends, pick up tips, learn from the competitive people who look good for a living, and do that, too. But still, if at all possible, find something physical that you enjoy doing. There is something about the happy glow of someone who is physically active for fun that puts a nice, shiny finish on that 'beach body' look.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Have you ever lifted before? If not, I strongly suggest Stronglifts 5x5 they have an app and everything.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    saif1996 wrote: »
    Azuriaz wrote: »

i am having fun but still i really wanna have that body but i wanna know how long it'll take

Definitely check the fitness sub-forum, then, make friends with the guys who have gotten to where you want to be. It will still vary of course, depending on genetics, how many hours you devote to the task, etc. etc., but no doubt there are people here who can help you out and maybe give you a rough idea. I know from what these guys say that it's not fast. Building muscle is a heck of a lot slower than just losing weight, but again, youth is on your side. I hope you get what you want from it! :)
  • FrankieandSpots
    FrankieandSpots Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    A 'beach body' a combination of low body fat and having enough muscle mass to give you a good shape (rather than being skinny, but lean).
    Lifting weights will definitely help you with both those things.
    If you're new to lifting I would recommend seeing a coach or personal trainer to get you started. Learning from someone in person makes it easier to learn proper form than from videos online (and getting it right will reduce your chances of injury and make the exercises more effective).
    Most gyms will have someone to set you up with a program when you start (if you have a uni with a gym near you, they're often cheap).
    I'd recommend a basic weights program like Starting strength or stronglifts 5x5 to start with. A trainer may want you to start working with machines to start off with before moving you onto free weights in a month or two.
    Always do new exercises lighter than you have to for a session or two and increase gradually.
    If you have no trainer I'd recommend looking up videos of the exercise you want to do and also taking videos of yourself doing them - you may be able to notice differences in technique or you could share them on forums to get advice.
    Nerd fitness has some really good beginner info as well.

Mathjulz sounds pretty spot on in his diet advice. If you log everything you eat on this site (even for a week), you'll have a better idea of how much protein your getting and how many calories you need to gain/maintain/lose weight.
    I can't predict how long it will take you to reach your goals, but 3 months of lifting weights and eating adequately to support your training consistently will give you some good strength gains and you should be able to see a difference.

And congratulations on the weight loss, that must have taken a lot of work and concentration!
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'd really suggest lifting weights.
    If you are a member of a gym, seek our a member of staff/trainer and ask them to talk through your goals with you.

I'm 5'2 and my goal weight was around 115 lbs. I'm 125lbs now and I decided to stop 'losing weight' and focus on what my body looks like. At the moment, I'm a healthy weight BUT I have a wobbly stomach, wobbly arms and flabby areas which generally speaking won't be reduced with just 'weight loss'. I need strength training and heavy weight sessions to blitz off this stubborn fat - and I need to build that lean muscle mass.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Getting the body you want takes time

If you are looking to build muscle you are at the prime time of your life to do so

Get in a gym

Follow a progressive programme. These are all good

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/4-week-guide-starting-strength

Eat at maintenance or ideally above (but knowing that you will put on muscle and fat and need to cut after each bulk cycle)

Make sure you are eating adequate protein and fats

Set protein to 0.6 to 0.8g per lb of bodyweight as a minimum to reach daily
    Set fat at 0.35g per lb of bodyweight as a minimum

Give it 3 to 6 months then cut

Then repeat

And repeat
  • abrooks54
    abrooks54 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things...eat brotein...victory
  • sinbad714
    sinbad714 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If you want serious motivation, look at fitness YouTube videos. Start with removing Man boobs. Then branch from there. Lots of good stuff.
    Your on the right track. I started with dumbbells and calisthenics because I was 50 over weight. That extra weight makes push ups extremely
    Difficult. Then when I'm dropping weight and getting more strength, my push-ups became easier to do. It's been two months and I went from one to 60 daily. My man-boobs are halfway gone. My shoulders are thicker. My caloric intake changed to 40% protein, 40% fat and 20% fat.
    Good luck!
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    sinbad714 wrote: »
    If you want serious motivation, look at fitness YouTube videos. Start with removing Man boobs. Then branch from there. Lots of good stuff.
    Your on the right track. I started with dumbbells and calisthenics because I was 50 over weight. That extra weight makes push ups extremely
    Difficult. Then when I'm dropping weight and getting more strength, my push-ups became easier to do. It's been two months and I went from one to 60 daily. My man-boobs are halfway gone. My shoulders are thicker. My caloric intake changed to 40% protein, 40% fat and 20% fat.
    Good luck!

If you can do 60 push ups start to look at variants...legs elevated, feet on an exercise ball, one handed, jump into a clap, change hand and arm positioning etc

That said progressive overload with adequate nutrition is the key to hypertrophy (building muscles)
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    you dont need to lose any more weight. you need to do more strength exercises. I am in that 5'9" range and even now around 150, I still have to do some type of strength training to maintain the look I want (i.e. no man boobs, strong abs). My min protein is 85g and I try to get some type of strength training in 2 times a week.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Stop losing, start lifting.
  • tracoleman99
    tracoleman99 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    saif1996 wrote: »
    hello

i am an 18 year old male, 67kg and 5'9

so i've started exercising again last year i was 90Kg but dropped to 65kg but gained 2Kg over the year

and i am thinking of losing a little bit more weight just 5-7kg would that be ok? or should i stop?

i dont like my body it just looks awful, i have manboobs and bit of a belly and the doctor says i have 15% of fat but i dont belive him because i've seen the different % pictures and i look more like a 20% but i wanna be 10-7% fat will it be possible? if so, how long?

and if i should start lifting weight how do i go by that? i have no idea how to do it in a correct way?

and when do you think i can achieve a 6 pack and a V shape with my body that i described? 3 months? 6 months? a year!? more!?!?!?

and this is my diet by the way its
    wheat bread only! tuna sandwich, turkey sandwich, fruits, boiled eggs, healthy cereal and sometimes sandwich from subway
    drinks? only water nothing else but water like 6 glass a day

You absolutely must lift weights. Start with free weights. There are some awesome beginner guides on BodyBuilding.com Just click on training or articles and you'll find several easy 1, 2, 3 start up plans.

To have a beach body, it's NOT just about the weight, it's also about your body fat percentage. You want to be lean...increase your muscle, decrease your fat. The fat gets tricky, but at 18 years old, it should come a lot easier for you. Nutrition is key for this. The exercise helps to increase muscle and improve your metabolism, but it's nutrition that means the different for weight loss.

This is what I eat nutritionally on a day to day basis (dinner at the end): http://traceyfit.blogspot.com/2015/09/nutrition-101.html

And this is how I deal with food cravings:
    http://traceyfit.blogspot.com/2015/10/cravings.html

I've lost 85 lbs. to date.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    you dont need to lose any more weight. you need to do more strength exercises. I am in that 5'9" range and even now around 150, I still have to do some type of strength training to maintain the look I want (i.e. no man boobs, strong abs). My min protein is 85g and I try to get some type of strength training in 2 times a week.

I'm an inch shorter, a lot older and weigh 158 (maintenance) cos muscles ...I have girl boobs and when not injured strength train 3 x a week. My min protein is 100g.
  • sinbad714
    sinbad714 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am. Just using pushups as a gauge. I also do knee bends , dead lifts ,burpees, pull down cable exercises. Just trying to get tone then I will bring on the . I don't enter a gym and workout at home. I have self esteem issues from man-boobs.