Does Flexibility return?

Monkeymin
Monkeymin Posts: 197 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
I use to be incredibly flexible as a kid. I imagine most of us were. After weight gain and age attacked I seemed to lose all flexibility. I have been using the Kinect Dance Central as a fun way to exercise, but I notice my felxibilty is not too great.

I wondered if anyone had any advice to improve my flexibilty or has this happened to you? Does your flexbility come back? or am i destined to be a stiff dancer for ever. I'm only 29 so i recon I have the potential to get my grove back lol:laugh:

Replies

• McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    your flexibility will come back if it is something that you work on continuously. The more your stretch, the more it will return.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    I teach dance, and I definitely lost a lot of my flex when I hit puberty - bones growing all over the place and me not keeping my stretching up. It does get better - if you work on it EVERY DAY. Warm up to get the blood pumping and then do basic stretches - making sure to hold each stretch for 30 seconds. Don't bounce - you might rip something (and that FRIGGIN HURTS, let me tell you!!) I'm 28 and I decided I'm not ready to retire from competition yet - so I've been working really hard on my flex and it is getting heaps better. Now to lose the 50kgs that's holding me back from being a superstar...
  • Monkeymin
    your flexibility will come back if it is something that you work on continuously. The more your stretch, the more it will return.

thanks, that gives me hope.
  • Monkeymin
    I teach dance, and I definitely lost a lot of my flex when I hit puberty - bones growing all over the place and me not keeping my stretching up. It does get better - if you work on it EVERY DAY. Warm up to get the blood pumping and then do basic stretches - making sure to hold each stretch for 30 seconds. Don't bounce - you might rip something (and that FRIGGIN HURTS, let me tell you!!) I'm 28 and I decided I'm not ready to retire from competition yet - so I've been working really hard on my flex and it is getting heaps better. Now to lose the 50kgs that's holding me back from being a superstar...

I'm 29 and I don't think I've ever really stretched properly. so If i never had optimum flexibilty, do you think I can still reach it?
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member

I'm 29 and I don't think I've ever really stretched properly. so If i never had optimum flexibilty, do you think I can still reach it?

I'm wayyyy more flexi than I was when I was a kid. Look at people who've taken up yoga at 45 or 50 - they do yoga 3 or 4 times a week and suddenly they're ridiculously flexi. I'm sure with a bit of work, you'll get there.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Incorporate pilates and yoga into your fitness rountine. You can do these every day since the workouts are usually only 20 minutes. Your flexibility will return.
  • Monkeymin
    Incorporate pilates and yoga into your fitness rountine. You can do these every day since the workouts are usually only 20 minutes. Your flexibility will return.

I've tried some yoga and my co-ordination sucks lol I will give it another go.
  • CynthiaS
    CynthiaS Posts: 208 Member

I agree if you keep at it yoga will help :) good luck
  • issabishie
    issabishie Posts: 28
    you will become more flexible to an extent as you lose weight as your fat won't 'get in the way' when you bend and reach, but the right kind of exercise will do wonders for you, pilates is fantastic for regaining and building flexibility.
    any kind of low impact low cardio work will help, pilates, tai chi, yoga etc.
  • Monkeymin

I agree if you keep at it yoga will help :) good luck

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Yoga.

I used to be really flexible - not through dancing but through hyper-extension, but as I have aged I have lost a lot. Yoga is helping get this back (in a good way)
  • Monkeymin
    you will become more flexible to an extent as you lose weight as your fat won't 'get in the way' when you bend and reach, but the right kind of exercise will do wonders for you, pilates is fantastic for regaining and building flexibility.
    any kind of low impact low cardio work will help, pilates, tai chi, yoga etc.

See it's not so much the fat as that doesn't stop me bending etc. It feels like its my bones and muscles that stop me.
  • amfaery
    amfaery Posts: 267 Member
    mine did with yoga!
  • Monkeymin
    Ok so the census suggests I take up yoga. Will this help me lose weight as well?
  • sparrow747
    sparrow747 Posts: 87
    I agree with yoga... I'm not sure if yogas helped me lose a lot of weight compared to cardio... but I can definitely tell that it's tightening up my whole body, and really strengthening my muscles (legs, back, core, arms) for sure.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    Yoga will sort of help you lose weight.

First off, it's not much of a calorie burn, though different styles work you in different ways.

Hot yoga (bikram 105 degrees, ashtanga 92 degrees, some vinyasa/power 75-100 degrees, ask before you go) Many people claim that hot yoga burns more calories than other types, but it doesn't seem possible that heat burns calories - otherwise those in the south without air conditioning would be thin. Heat does increase your heart rate, so many times you get a false reading on your HRM for calorie burn. Heat can help you increase your flexibility faster, but you are also more likely to pull a muscle in a heated setting. Ashtanga and Vinyasa have a lot of movement, and usually a lot of pushups in them, so they generally burn more calories than other types.

Hatha - all yoga that is a physical practice is Hatha yoga, but on the schedule it means a mixed bag. You don't know what to expect - could be anything from some sort of ashtanga vinyasa to a restorative class. Best to ask before you go.

Iyengar/Anusara/alignment based yoga - these are types where you go to learn how to do yoga, where to put your feet, etc. Anusara is more of a mix between Iyengar and Vinyasa and it's probably the fastest growing method - it appeals to a lot of people. Most people think of Iyengar yoga as a yoga for the injured or middle aged - and while it is great for those populations, we frequently do 1 minute or more timings in Iyengar classes (think of trying to do handstand for a minute!)

Viniyoga - a slow flow class - there's movement, but it's gentler - I don't know much about this method.

Kundalini - a lot of breath work in this class.

All that to say, you never know what you might get a in a yoga class. I seriously doubt you will burn more than 400 calories an hour in any class, unless you are rather big.

However, if you really get into yoga, you will become more mindful about your eating habits and what you eat - so that's usually the part that helps you lose weight. Also a reduction in stress can help with weight loss.

More than you wanted to know, right?
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Yoga has a lot of benefits. Give it a try - and you can burn a lot of calories doing it if you do the right style. You don't have to burn 700 calories a day to lose weight.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    Oh, and to answer your original question, yes, in a way. When I was a kid, I could touch my feet to the back of my head in a backbend - and while I have yet to do that again, I can still bend backward quite well.

Oddly, when I was a kid, I could do the splits with the legs out to the side, but not forward and back - now I'm the opposite - after 11 years of yoga, that is.
  • Monkeymin
    More than you wanted to know, right?

Not at all. That was great thanks :)
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    bump
This discussion has been closed.