Kettlebell Question

swaymyway
swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello all.

Is 7.5kg kettlebell good for someone starting out? I am a 5ft tall female, 125lbs, very fit cardio wise but never had much to do with weights or strength training.

Also would you say a kettlebell is a good idea for someone who is VERY clumsy and plans to use it in her living room? lol

Thanks all :)

Replies

• Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    is a kettlebell a weight?
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Depends on what you're using it for.
    It's like dumbells - you don't use one weight for all exercises.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    I am using the Kettlebell Bombshell DVD and the instructor recommends 15-20 lbs. for women, so your 7.5kg is just over 16 lbs.
    I had to put some grip tape on my kettlebells because the handles were slippery. Just be sure to hang on and get kids/curious animals out of the way before you start.
  • kseier
    kseier Posts: 91 Member
    uhhhhm nooo...i use 8 or 10 lbs depending on how much ive been working out that day...10 is heavy. depends on what kind of activity you're doing with it..i do a 45 minute class so thats a long time to be lifitng a weight up and down. and be VERY careful!!!!!! i drop mine all the time! thank god im in a gym but it's kinda dangerous lol
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Well, I don't know what that is in actual weight, but I can tell you my experience. When I first began Kettlebell classes, in February, I was 13 months into this journey and well on my way to being fit, but I too had not done any weights/strength training. It was all I could do to make it through a class with a five pound weight. Even now, 4 months down the road, and faithfully doing Kettlebell class twice a week, I am at a 7lb kettlebell. If I move up anytime soon it would only be to an 8lb kettlebell. I use my own, in class, but I keep one of the gyms 10lb kettlebells close to me, too, for the things that I have more strength in, and will switch to that to work myself harder, but for the most part I am using my 7lb kettlebell.
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    I think it may well be too heavy if you've not really done strength training before. We use 4kgs in our kettlebells class, although there are some 6kgs. The male, very fit, instructor uses an 8. You don't want the kettlebells to be swinging YOU down - all the movements need to be controlled and you won't be able to do this if it's too heavy for you.
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    If I'm doing the math correctly that is about 16lbs??? I'm 5' 2" and weigh about 2lbs more than you...I do cardio and have started to include weight training. 16lbs would be WAY too heavy for me. I am at a 5lb kettlebell now and with some exercises I know I could go up in weight. The important thing is not that you can lift it but rather that you can keep proper form while working out. If, while working with the weight, you find your form loosens or it is too difficult to complete a set you'll need to get a smaller weight. If all is good then no problems. As far as clumsy goes...most dvd workouts have a "get familiar with the kettlebell" part that may be helpful. Like anything it will feel less ackward the more familiar you become with it....just make sure you aren't too close to anything fragile :wink:
  • gcumpson
    gcumpson Posts: 39
    Try them. You will know as soon as you put your hands on them. Mine have grips so no slipping but they are only 10 lbs but its enough for what I use them for in my workout. Good Luck
  • Hi,

Kettlebell's are brilliant for toning and there's some great resources online which will help you use them - check out http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shred--Weights-DVD-Region-NTSC/dp/B003TJM69C/ref=sr_1_8?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1307538718&sr=1-8 for a good DVD (she's America's Biggest Loser's personal trainer)

I'm not sure about what weight to use, as it really depends on your own strength/ goals. Personally, I use lighter weights and do more reps/ work out for longer - it depends on what you feel comfortable with.

As for using in your living room, I think it's fine if you've got a fair amount of space. Some of the most effective moves involve swinging the weight about, or raising it high above your head etc.

Good luck!

1462867.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Hi there,

I asked the same question when I first bought a kbell, and was advised to get 8kg (approx 17 lb). Well crikey, it is really heavy, so I then bought a 5kg (11 lb), and that was also too heavy. I ended up buying "Kettlenetics" from amazon, which comes with a 4 lb kbell, and that is great. I could probably go up a few pounds now, but I would go any heavier than 8 lbs ...........
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Thanks for the advice guys, I just happened to see a 7.5kg one while I was out shopping reduced from £20 to £10 which is what prompted this question - I think I have decided against it just as I don't trust myself to use it indoors. Think I will save any kettlebell training (to start with at least) for the gym :)
This discussion has been closed.