High protein, low fat Breakfast ideas?

Options
I've never really been one for eating breakfast and I feel like now that I'm exercising I should really be having that first meal of the day.
If anyone has any IBS friendly (No wholemeal, limited dairy) ideas please share them!

Replies

• marina5rodr
    marina5rodr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, Same for me, I would always skip breakfast and be starving for lunch and would almost always eat way too much the rest of the day. For the past 2 months I've been trying a meal replacement shake called Shakeology, they also have a vegan version. I have it with ice, water and fruit and it really tastes good! I do it because its convenient and its has all the vitamins and minerals you need to get a head start on your day.
  • LivinMyLife2015
    LivinMyLife2015 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I used to make my own shakes...avacado half, greek yogurt, lime juice, vanilla extract, protein powder, ice and half a cup of milk. Yum.....

My friend does that but she has been adding a half a cup of oatmeal recently and said it really helps fill her up.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    go to a store called GNC and ask what kind of protein shakes you can take.
    http://www.gnc.com/storeLocator/index.jsp
    buy a cheap mixer at walmart, since shakes taste much better blended well.

My experience at GNC is that the products are priced about 50-100% over what you can find online and their sales associates know absolutely nothing about nutrition, other than what they're told to sell.

I'll either have oatmeal with protein powder or a shake with water, oatmeal, protein powder and ice. 250 calories, 14-30g carbs, 2-5g fat, 25-45g protein, 1g sugar.
  • eliza8897
    eliza8897 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Eggs, oatmeal, or plain Greek yogurt are good healthy options
  • kaosvarkas
    kaosvarkas Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    eliza8897 wrote: »
    Eggs, oatmeal, or plain Greek yogurt are good healthy options

I eat all 3 of these usually for breakfast.
  • SuffolkBliss
    SuffolkBliss Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the ideas- as for GNC I live in the UK so I can't walk to walmart haha I'd have to get a plane but I will definitely check out the protein shakes at Holland and Barrett (UK health food store) and I'm definitely going to be adding fruit and oatmeal to protein shake powder (honestly I hadn't even thought of doing that) This is all really helpful I'm glad everyone can share their ideas with me :blush: I really appreciate everyones help!
  • michelletowle52
    michelletowle52 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Suffolkbliss gnc is also uk based. Don't touch Holland and Barrett they know nothing in there. Find an independent supplement shop is there a powerhouse near you? Or shop online there's loads of uk based company's that sell what you need.
  • alicat1974
    alicat1974 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am not a big breakfast eater, but yogurt tubes are a lifesaver. I know they're marketed to kids, but for portion and convenience they are great. I get Siggi brand blueberry Icelandic yogurt: only 50 calories, 5g of protein, no artificial sweeteners.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat traditional breakfast foods for breakfast. If you are looking for high protein, low fat, I'd be looking at mainly lean meats for breakfast.
  • SuffolkBliss
    Options
    Suffolkbliss gnc is also uk based. Don't touch Holland and Barrett they know nothing in there. Find an independent supplement shop is there a powerhouse near you? Or shop online there's loads of uk based company's that sell what you need.

I will check out Powerhouse online see if theres one near me- not many shops in my town but I live near Ipswich so they should have at least some form of independent store- thanks for the tip off!
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love shredding some cauliflower to almost make a hash brown. Egg whites with only one whole egg. And chicken isernio sausage. Great Sunday morning breakfast. Daily what about a protein shake? Easy and on the go
  • SuffolkBliss
    Options
    You don't have to eat traditional breakfast foods for breakfast. If you are looking for high protein, low fat, I'd be looking at mainly lean meats for breakfast.

I've been thinking about maybe having Turkey in the mornings but I'm never sure how to have it- I'm only looking for high protein because I feel it keeps me fuller for longer so I'm not starving hungry by lunchtime :)
  • SuffolkBliss
    Options
    looney9708 wrote: »
    I love shredding some cauliflower to almost make a hash brown. Egg whites with only one whole egg. And chicken isernio sausage. Great Sunday morning breakfast. Daily what about a protein shake? Easy and on the go

Sounds delicious! I will definitely have to try that I love cauliflower :smiley:
  • OutdoorCamoGirl
    OutdoorCamoGirl Posts: 67 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I've been thinking about maybe having Turkey in the mornings but I'm never sure how to have it- I'm only looking for high protein because I feel it keeps me fuller for longer so I'm not starving hungry by lunchtime :)

"English Muffins" generally have around 140 calories, 27 carbs thereabouts, 1 gram of fat, but around 5 grams of protein, depending upon brand. You could have your turkey on one of those. Add a little egg and/or cheese (you said limited dairy, not sure how much you can have) to that and your protein rises even more. Just watch your calorie levels depending upon how you budget them into your day. And most store brands I believe are dairy free, just watch the packaging and read your labels. Great breakfast to start your day :)
  • SuffolkBliss
    Options

"English Muffins" generally have around 140 calories, 27 carbs thereabouts, 1 gram of fat, but around 5 grams of protein, depending upon brand. You could have your turkey on one of those. Add a little egg and/or cheese to that and your protein rises even more. Just watch your calorie levels depending upon how you budget them into your day. Great breakfast to start your day :)

Thanks so much I haven't had English muffins in ages :smiley: I can't believe I didn't think of that haha
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Egg whites, cottage cheese, Greek yogurt, King Oscar Brisling Sardines, protein powder.

No need to eat if you're not hungry.
  • sarahju13
    sarahju13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the ideas- as for GNC I live in the UK so I can't walk to walmart haha I'd have to get a plane but I will definitely check out the protein shakes at Holland and Barrett (UK health food store) and I'm definitely going to be adding fruit and oatmeal to protein shake powder (honestly I hadn't even thought of doing that) This is all really helpful I'm glad everyone can share their ideas with me :blush: I really appreciate everyones help!

You might look at Asda.... Walmart owned and they may have what you need.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I used to have a quest bar for breakfast. Now I skip it and just put protein powder in my coffee. Need coffee. Need protein. Cannot be bothered with anything else.