Other major illness?

Options
I've had obesity for 30 years. Last year, I was diagnosed with lymphoma and spent nearly 2 months in the hospital, most of the time in the ICU. I lost 70 pounds, mostly muscle. Now that I'm in remission (hallelujah!) I've regained all but 20# back. I'm still seriously reconditioned. How do you handle losing weight while also dealing with a serious life-threatening illness? My oncologist says, "Eat healthy." That doesn't begin to cover all the complications! Lack of muscle mass, fatigue, depression. What do YOU do?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Ask the oncologist or your regular doctor for a referral to a dietitian. It's the best 30-60 minutes you'll spend on your diet!!

I had/have a liver problem that has no treatment. Diet and exercise and that's it. I could've sat around all day worrying about it (and I've had my moments), but worry serves no practical purpose, so mostly I don't. Why cross bridges, you know?

I set about the business of being as healthy as I could be and that meant eating the right diet for me, which is low-fat and healthy stuff. This is not the way I'd been accustomed to eating, let me tell you!

I had to learn to cook healthy foods in ways that taste good. It took A LOT of work. I ate some things that didn't taste all that great! But every failure was a learning experience. Herbs and spices! And I don't mean that crap you buy in the jars in the grocery store. Fresh stuff and good stuff, ordered from places like World Spice Market and Penzey's. I started with Mrs. Dash and still use some on occasion, but I cannot emphasize enough the difference between that McCormick crap and and good stuff. Makes all the difference in the world!

I've had my ups and downs, but I never quit. I always got back in the game. Now, I can go two weeks and never have to try anything new if I don't want to...and all of it will be healthy stuff I love to eat. :)

You want to stay healthy. Eat like you intend to stay healthy. So long, McDonald's, hello edamame! (If you haven't tried edamame, pick up a bag in the frozen section and thank me later.)

Exercise is good for you and may improve your mood. If you're really feeling depressed, seek therapy.

Eat right and exercise!! Just don't quit.
  • kidzhearts82
    kidzhearts82 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Kalikel, Your reply was very wise. Thanks for taking the time to write an extended post. Many can benefit from it. You definitely sound like you know what you are talking about. I never thought about actually going to a nutritionist. I've done a lot of reading and have attended Weightwatchers (many times,) but nothing one-on-one. I've been ill enough, my insurance may actually pay for several visits. If not, it is important enough to invest in myself for awhile. Thank you.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your illness. You can regain more muscle and strength than you imagine possible at this time. My dad suffered from lymphoma and went from being completely bedridden for 6 mo and put on hospice to walking unassisted and leaving hospice at age 80. While I haven't had anything that serious to deal with, in 16 mo I've gone from barely walking 1/4 mi to walking 4-5 mi per day. Look into light weights and strength training. See if you can get a referral to physical therapy to get a protocol set up. Just take small steps and keep progressing. The body is amazingly adaptable and wants to get stronger when you give it the tools to work with.
  • kidzhearts82
    kidzhearts82 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Amazing to hear about your dad! I too was bedridden for about 4 months. I still become short of breath with walking but am gradually improving. Thanks for your response. Gives me hope.