Any ultra walkers/runners here?

Options
Hi.

I'm wondering if there are ultra people here? I'm doing 100K and looking for some tips on my training plan. Thanks.

Replies

• Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I'm not an ultra walker, but have been on some one-day walks this year of as much as 35 kilometers. I've had problems that kept me from finishing the walk and am eager to pick up tips myself.

I've seen training plans online for people who want to walk a marathon.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yes I have seen those too - I have much longer to prepare than the usual 15 week things I've seen - I'm doing the 10% thingy atm but am a bit unsure if what I am doing is right :)
  • Cattree2002
    Cattree2002 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did a 100k a while ago. I worked up to about 15 miles three times a week. Then stayed at 7-15 miles twice during the week and did 15-35 miles once at the weekend. Sometimes dropping the distance to recover, sometimes running twice at the weekend to get the super-long feeling. I can't run more than 3-4 times a week without seeming to get injured, hence long but infrequent runs. Did a lot of run walking on the long runs and worked out backpack/clothing/fueling. It's the fueling that will get you round. That and just getting used to being on your feet for hours and hours on end :-). Which one are you doing?
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    That's a great link thanks Verdenal - I'll read it tomorrow :)

I'm doing the London2Brighton walk next year. At the moment I'm doing 3.5mph on treadmill about 5 times a week, 50 x leg curls extensions and presses once a week and a 1 hr aerobic legs and bums group workout once a week. Plus my usual gardening and walking about to the shops etc (I don't drive).

I'm doinf the 10% rule and last week did 33K. I hope to walk marathon length pretty soon (I'm waiting to get paid to get better shoes!).

What bothers me as most of the training stuff mentions doing on trail and I do most of mine on the treadmill....

Any tips are useful thankyou. I will be getting a backpack/ vest next month but which one to choose!

• Cattree2002
    Cattree2002 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend trying to get out on trails as much as possible. It helps strengthen all those little balancing muscles. I found strength training, like the Bodypump class, really useful for helping keep me injury free when the distance started ramping up.

I ran with an Inov8 race pro 12 or something like that. I liked the horizontal bladder as it didn't slosh and was easy to get in and out when the pack was full.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I ran the Thames Path challenge last month, that's a 100km. Took me 15 hours to complete it. Firstly, you need to get outside. Try and walk / run on ground that is similar to what your going to be doing on the actual walk.

I think that L2B run is run by the same people who did the TPC. On the TPC site there were links to night walks and things like that that you could sign up for. I would 100% recommend trying to attend those if you can. If you are walking it then you are going to be out in the night.

You will need to get out and do night walks, things look and feel a lot different at night time, I ended up walking in the last 15k or so due to pulling something in my leg, it was dark and cold and pretty lonely. It's that sort of thing that you will only find out by getting out there.

Training for running it is of course different from walking it. So I was running 7 or 8 miles 4 times a week and then doing long back to back runs of up to 30 miles at the weekend.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »
    That's a great link thanks Verdenal - I'll read it tomorrow :)

I'm doing the London2Brighton walk next year. At the moment I'm doing 3.5mph on treadmill about 5 times a week, 50 x leg curls extensions and presses once a week and a 1 hr aerobic legs and bums group workout once a week. Plus my usual gardening and walking about to the shops etc (I don't drive).

I'm doinf the 10% rule and last week did 33K. I hope to walk marathon length pretty soon (I'm waiting to get paid to get better shoes!).

What bothers me as most of the training stuff mentions doing on trail and I do most of mine on the treadmill....

Any tips are useful thankyou. I will be getting a backpack/ vest next month but which one to choose!

You're welcome. The London2Brighton walk sounds like fun. I'm an anglophile. :smile: I have access to a walking treadmill so maybe I should put some mileage in. It's not the same as walking out in the elements, but it is something.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I do a couple a year. Trail hike types. I have a regular workout routine similar to crossfit but a little more strength based, then I just do one longer hike a week & maybe a shorter hike some weeks.