Need protein recommendation please!!

Options
I have Celiac disease (I CANNOT have any gluten) and along with that I have a pretty bad reaction to dairy and casien. I'm having a hard time finding a protein powder that I don't have to chug over the sink hoping I can keep it down :/ I've tried a couple pea protein shakes that just aren't good at all. I can have soy without any noticeable reaction, but I am so afraid to buy anything and end up hating it :(
So does anyone know of a gluten free, dairy/casien free protein shake that doesn't taste like burnt compost??

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Good taste: Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts Raw Shelled Hemp Seeds
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I make one I love, a Black Bean Brownie Smoothie. I put a can of drained, rinsed black beans (or butter beans, if you'd rather) in the blender, add 2 small or one very large bananas, 2 T. cinnamon, 3 T. unsweetened cocoa powder, 3 c. Silk Original soy milk. Puree and drink. It's sweet, but filling as a meal, and it is loaded with protein, calcium, iron, potassium and probably lots of other good stuff.

Don't overlook leafy greens as a source of protein--I often mix frozen chopped kale and spinach with a can of beans (drained and rinsed), add some Red Star nutritional yeast (high in protein and lots of other good things, like B vitamins), some salt and pepper and microwave 4 minutes. It is quite high in protein.

Take a look at some vegan websites like Oh She Glows or Fat Free Vegan Kitchen. Many recipes are gluten free, and all are dairy free.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I use this, it's good if blended with a milk alternative & banana. You need to blend it in a blender though, otherwise it's gross:

http://www.costco.com/Vega-Protein-and-Greens-Vanilla-Flavor.product.100159637.html
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Do you NEED protein powder? Honestly I'd just pass on it and eat a lot of meat. Unless you're vegetarian of course, then I have no clue.
  • nickynoneck83
    nickynoneck83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Goats milk is amazing for anyone suffering from gluten, celiac or casien problems http://www.glutenfreesolutions.co.uk/goats-milk-benefits/4562176837
  • nickynoneck83
    nickynoneck83 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I literally stopped using protein powders or anything besides goats milk after my workout, I haven't lost any strength I actually got stronger.
  • CatherineHillin
    CatherineHillin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Try soylent. It's a meal replacement shake that you can eat for every meal forever and theoretically need nothing else. It's gluten free and has all the protein you need. It tastes like waffle batter but other than that it works great
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 556 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Do you NEED protein powder? Honestly I'd just pass on it and eat a lot of meat. Unless you're vegetarian of course, then I have no clue.

Vegetarians don't need protein powder, either. All they need to do is eat a balanced diet.
  • trp183
    trp183 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

VEGA -One All in One Shake - Chocolate is super good. Although I mostly buy French Vanilla because I like to add frozen blueberries , cherries or a berry mix to it. It is free of everything you need it to be. I can't have dairy so that is why I tried to go veggie protein. This one is so much better then the other ones I have tried. I also have noticed with any shake if you use it with a good quality blender with ice ( I love my blendtec) it tastes better. You can also get them in single serve package if you would like to try them. I tried a few different brands this way. This is the best tasting one I have found.
  • janmoulder2
    janmoulder2 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Try Great Lakes Gelatin. It's beef gelatin and packs a whole lot of protein per tablespoon (I think it's 6 grams.) Two varieties: Green can or Orange can, one mixes better with cold liquid the other with hot. Gelatin is really good for hair and nails, digestive tract (with Celiac you would benefit a lot!) and joints. It's the best of all worlds! ....unless, of course, you're a vegetarian. It's even labeled kosher!! Some people just mix it into their coffee or tea.
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Thanks y'all! Great suggestions here to try out :) I am not Vegetarian, or vegan, but I still sometimes have a hard time getting all my protein in and sometimes just need to be able to bring along an easy protein snack when on the go to places that might not have food that's safe for a person with celiac to eat haha. Thanks again!! Y'all are great!
  • jhen47
    jhen47 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Joe Rob makes a Egg White protien powder.
  • Chrisbande
    Chrisbande Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Pro7ein claims no gluten per serving at 32g
  • dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Try tuna and salmon packs, they are full of protein.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    You would probably be ok with a good Whey Isolate Protein. Investigate "NOW" Unflavored Whey Isolate.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Try Sun Warrior. It does taste good in my opinion.

https://www.sunwarrior.com/store/