Sodium intake!

Options
My personal trainer has noticed that my sodium intake is high. I also just noticed myself. Besides staying away from processed foods where else could be the reason why it's high. Also, is sodium related to loosing weight or is it more of a health issue?

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Was it high on lab work?

How much sodium are you eating per day?
  • quickclean313
    quickclean313 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No,it never tested high. Some days I'm between 1500-1900 g of sodium.
  • baneenerwiener
    baneenerwiener Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    check nutrition labels on any packaged foods you get to check for salt and try to stay away from it. salt added to most canned foods, breads, tortillas, chips, baked goods, salsa, milks, etc. just check everything cuz it has all sorts of hiding places. start buying fresh food and making things yourself and add little to no salt/seasoning. use herbs and spices (no salt added) to add flavour to your dishes instead. lemon and lime juice can go far to give some flavour to things as well as herbs and spices. Try to make it more of a fun journey of experimenting with different cooking strategies and different blends of herbs and learning what to use for better taste without salt. Try to also stay away from oil to add flavour because it doesn't add much flavour and is not very good healthwise either. Eating lots of salt will make you retain tons of water weight so when you lower your sodium intake you should start losing that water weight and look leaner. Try getting more your sodium from more natural things like vegetables and maybe coconut water added to a smoothie or something (very good for electrolytes) and using very light seasoning if you must. Talk to your doctor and find out how much salt you can be consuming and work around that
  • Azexas
    Options
    No,it never tested high. Some days I'm between 1500-1900 g of sodium.

That's actually not high. CDC recommends eating below 2300mg of sodium daily.

http://www.cdc.gov/salt/

Have you noticed high blood pressure or bloating?
  • quickclean313
    Options
    No -I feel fine -
  • Azexas
    edited October 2015
    Options
    No -I feel fine -

Honestly, my suggestion is to not stress too much about it. It sounds like you aren't really close to going over and you don't have any health concerns to warrant watching your sodium. Frozen and prepackaged foods are going to be your high sodium bombs just as an FYI.

What was your PTs reasoning behind lowering it even further?
  • OutdoorCamoGirl
    OutdoorCamoGirl Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Many sauces/seasonings contain high levels of sodium as well, and the serving sizes can be as little as 1 tsp or less, especially hot sauces and oriental type sauces. If you are in the habit of seasoning your food, make sure to read those labels and measure how much you are actually adding. You may be surprised. I know I was! Also salad dressings can contain a lot of sodium depending on which ones. If you're a fan of canned/jarred pickled jalapeno peppers, they can contain 500+ mg for just 1/4 cup (and I can pop those things like candy, Woah!)

Just some things you may watch for....
  • quickclean313
    Options
    Thanks to you both-I will ask her tomorrow -