Bariatric Surgery - new oulook, new life!

Options
2»

Replies

• pattylynn727
    pattylynn727 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Katnipt17 wrote: »
    Hi, everyone. I am so inspired by all of your stories!! Although I am not yet a member of your 'group', I am hoping that it will be in my future. I have so many questions, I hope you will all bear with me! I'm 62 years old and have been overweight since the late 70s. This past year has seen me at my highest and I have been trying hard the last couple of months to exercise and eat healthier, but so far I've only managed to lose about 12 pounds. That's a good start, but I'm afraid at this pace my life is going to be over before I get down to where I need to be to be healthy. What is the different between the lap band and the gastric sleeve? Is one more effective than the other? Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me!

I am a revision patient from lap band to Gastric sleeve and truth be told if I could do it all over again I never would have gotten the band. It's constant follow up with the surgeon so copays were ridiculous. The port is extremely uncomfortable and getting fills aren't fun either. I lost 60 lbs my first year and then it just didn't work no matter what I did. I had it in for 5 years and did lots of reading and went the sleeve route rather than bypass because it was right for me. I can honestly say I feel better physically than I have in a very long time. Good luck with your decision and your journey to a new you!
  • ItsOnlyChocolate
    ItsOnlyChocolate Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hello, everyone. I am a 59 year old morbidly obese female who has tried five times to get bariatric surgery but was blocked due to insurance issues. The second time I lost some weight on my own and was down 32 pounds and 3 weeks out from surgery when my husband was laid off and I had no insurance. Tried again four times but was not able to get all of the pre-surgery testing done within time limits due to high copays. At this point, I need to have my knees replaced and have severe sleep apnea. I am going to try again, using MFP. Trying another hospital who is more willing to deal with my insurance issues. First appointment with surgeon is December 23. Hopefully this time I can go the distance.
  • pattylynn727
    Options
    Good luck to you ItsOnlyChocolate it's hard enough battling the weight but the denials and being so close make the struggle even harder. I hope you get it this time around!
  • Astrosfan82
    Astrosfan82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! I just had my sleeve on 10/12/15. Today marks day 5! Going well so far.. Looking for some MFP friends to help share in the journey. This is all still new and I live so far away from the support groups. Hope to really become a big loser this time!!
  • pattylynn727
    Options
    I'd love to do support groups myself but around here they're at night and my husband works nights, I've got an almost 10 yr old and a 4 yr old so it doesn't work for me either. It'll get easier than the next few weeks but the struggle remains because we've got to still fight for what we want with fitness. Glad you friended me Astrosfan82 even though I'm a Red Sox Fan lol!
  • 19billiejo72
    19billiejo72 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve Sept 7 2015 and since August 10th I have lost 56 lbs. My journey with weight is a love hate relationship for all my life, up and down up and down.

Tried everything out there plus more. I decided with the surgery as a tool to help with the weight loss and honestly I should have done this years ago. :)

I have so much more energy to be with my grandkids, kids and just for life, I sleep so much better (8-9 hrs straight).

I have a huge amount of support from my partner and kids, my family though are not too supportive when I had mentioned it to them. So I had op out to tell them that was going for surgery. They have not seen me since June 2015 and will not see me until April 2016, so will be a huge surprise for them.

If anyone would like to add me as friend please do!!!!!!