Protein help

Options
I've been doing a Daniel Fast (religious fast) for several days now and my protein intake has dropped significantly. The fast prohibits all meats, dairy, processed foods and levened bread. So basically I'm down to fruits, veggies & whole grains (oat bran, bulgur wheat, brown rice, etc)! What are some high protein foods I can eat during this fast? I'm still working out and having a hard time meeting my calorie goal each day, plus I think the lack of protein is making me sluggish. I'm looking for some low fat alternatives, eating nuts all day long, while delicious, seems counterproductive!

Thanks for your suggestions :happy:

Replies

• MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Beans!!!! Can you make a fruit smoothie with some protein powder??

L
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, couscous, and lentils are all great protein sources. I'm not familiar with the Daniel fast, but couscous is a tiny pasta so depending on the rules, that one might not work.
  • newjmf
    newjmf Posts: 78
    Options
    Can you use a protein shake? Muscle Milk (chocolate) is good as well as Syntha 6 caramel latte! GNC sells both.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    http://clcfast2009.blogspot.com/2009/01/protein-during-daniel-fast.html

A quick google came up with this blog that gives some great ideas. Good luck!

**I didn't see edemame (soy beans) on there, but they are a wonderful source of protein too. Also, run a google search of "daniel fast recipes" and there were a bunch of hits.
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    have you googled anything about it? I know there are many website with Daniel fast recipes....I have done a 21 day Daniel fast at the beginning of each year a couple times....I think it's harder than just eating healthier....
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    I've been trying to avoid the protein powder/shakes because they tend to be artificially sweetened/flavored and for the fast specifically avoids artificially flavored/sweetened foods. But I will look into finding some tasty (and easy to make) bean recipes. Thanks for the suggestion :-)
  • chridow
    chridow Posts: 178
    Options
    JesaGrace, that is SO TRUE! I thought I was doin great with my dietary changes til I started this fast. This fast is NOT for the faint of heart, lol!
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    Lentils, edamame, beans, peas, sweet potato, broccoli
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Soybeans (tofu, edamame, tempe), beans, lentils, peanut butter, nuts. Good luck, it sounds tough.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Can you use Whey Protein, or does that class as 'Processed'?
  • luscious61
    Options
    My friend is on the Daniel Fast. She has a protein shake every morning which has 17 grams of protein. Perhaps that will help!
  • Shappy75
    Shappy75 Posts: 5
    Options
    Sounds like "organic raw hemp powder" by Navitas or the like is your best choice if you fear the fat, otherwise, I would go with the raw seeds as they are more nutritious.