Am I doing enough?

Options
2»

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Weight training I don't have a problem with I feel I can add it in but how much weight should I lift (start with?) . i think the last time I added weights I went a little over board , I always felt exhausted the next day :/

Are you following a program? They tell you how much to lift and when to increase.
    Also, keep doing it consistently and after a week or three the fatigue will start to fade.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    defmut3 wrote: »
    Never seen the point of switch from cardio machine to cardio machine. Cardio is cardio. Doesn't really matter what you do as long as you get your heart rate up. Just hop on the machine you like best and stick with it.

Of course, you could always start lifting.

The point is if you switch up your cardio, you are less likely to have overuse injuries from doing the exact same repetitive motion.

i cycle almost exclusively for my cardio...never had an overuse injury. i usually get in a good 80 miles per week...

personally i'd go the route of doing some cardio and then doing some resistance training vs doing some cardio and then arbitrarily switching machines to do more cardio...

I was responding to a question as to what was the point of switching up cardio machines. Most running injuries are overuse injuries.

I do agree about the OP adding the resistance training as opposed to more long slow cardio.
  • soybruja
    soybruja Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There's ton of training info / programs on bodybuilding.com great resource!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Twice a week is plenty for that. Now go pump some iron.....
  • javimol
    javimol Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You should alternate the cardio with some lift weight to burn fat and gain muscle!!
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Weight training I don't have a problem with I feel I can add it in but how much weight should I lift (start with?) . i think the last time I added weights I went a little over board , I always felt exhausted the next day :/

Are you following a program? They tell you how much to lift and when to increase.
    Also, keep doing it consistently and after a week or three the fatigue will start to fade.

If you're unsure about hitting the weights (which exercises, how heavy etc) I would absolutely suggest getting a trainer for a couple of sessions. The last thing you'd want is to injure yourself while trying to do the right thing! Once you have the basics covered there are plenty of places to go to for workout suggestions! As soybruja said, bodybuiling.com has so much great stuff, advice and 'how tos' and various pre-written programs that can be selected according to your goals and current proficiency in the gym.
    I would definitely write down what you do! You might feel like a total noodle carrying a note book around the gym (I did when I first started) but you get over that! It's hard to remember exactly what you did on each exercise all the time, and I found I never improved because I wasn't increasing my weights when I could/should have.

Good luck, and if you enjoy your cardio by all means keep some in your routine! But cardio is absolutely not the (only) way to lose fat.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I just started this journey again and I've been hitting the gym for a week now. I've been doing 25mins on the treadmill (1.25mil) and 30mins on the epillipic trainer . yesterday I did the stairs for 30mins instead. But is that enough for now ?

I think you need to change how you think about it, on the long run. Do you enjoy what you are doing? Do you get some sort of satisfaction out of it? Can you see yourself enjoying something else more? Needing more variety? Find something you like, that will keep your interest, that you will be looking forward to, regardless of weight loss goals. If it is not interesting, it will not be enough because it will be very hard to commit to.
  • MzStylish21
    MzStylish21 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you (everyone) for your ideas , concerns and support.
  • aymanchoudhery9068
    aymanchoudhery9068 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Try running outdoors instead on a treadmill, youll burn far more calories running outdoors than on a treadmill. Firstly on a treadmill you dont have to battle wind resistance and you can be very careless with your form, this can lead to injuries. Running outdoors at first will feel a lot harder, and it is cos unlike a treadmill you havent got the treadmill belt to help propel you. Also try jump rope, its a great exercise. Befor you know it youll be running 10k in under 45 mins. May sound daunting now but it gets addictive, it takes around 30 days to make or break a habit so stick to your workouts for that time and soon it'll become second nature.
  • flutatious1
    flutatious1 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Start lifting! Mix up your cardio too.... jogging/walking intervals one day, elliptical (forwards and backwards), and walking on an incline. Diet is totally the key though!
  • MzStylish21
    MzStylish21 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yes , I've definitely picked up the weights the last two week and I can see the difference already!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

look into a beginner program like all pro beginner routine, strong lifts etc. The answer is that based on the program you should lift as heavy as allows you to complete the required sets and reps without it feeling too easy ...