It tingles...

Options
sure I could google it but y not ask you fine folks! Anyone else's fingers n hands go numb or tingle when they run? Y is this happening?

Replies

• armylife
    armylife Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hyperventilation is the most likely cause unless you have carpel tunnel, diabetes, neurological issues, or some form of vascular abnormality. How long have you been running and how far into your runs do you notice it?
  • New_determination
    New_determination Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Use to run a lot 3 yrs ago and had to stop just started recently this last month. Only noticing tingling this last week as I have increased my speed n also tonight my incline. Notice it prob 15 mins into a run. Don't feel as tho I'm hyperventilating, breath has increase but not to that intensity. Did have carpal tunnel with pregnancy and about 6 mths after my son was born. N no health issues.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Which fingers are affected - all 5, or just certain ones?
  • New_determination
    Options
    Mostly middle to pinky. Pinky is most numb/ tingly
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    are you tensing your neck muscles when you are running? I get the tingles when I tense up my neck too much when lifting. Physio told me it was due to tensing neck too much. I always have to keep remembering to loosen neck up now.
  • New_determination
    Options
    Idk lol I'll have to pay attention next time n c if that helps. I do have a bad neck tho n have had sever wry neck troubles. Thnx I'll pay attention next time.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Ring and little finger numbness is often a sign of an ulnar nerve problem. Typically happens when you bend your elbows enough to irritate the nerve. Maybe you're tensing your arms, or bending sharply at the elbow, or tucking your elbows into your side? You could try straightening your arms when it happens, see if that helps. That might not be a natural running position, but at least you'd know what the problem is.
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I have had it slightly, not every time but occasionally. I've also noticed it when I'm non-active in very hot temperatures (ie. on holiday). I don't tense my neck and I'm pretty sure my running style is not the problem. I always assumed it's down to my blood circulation - trying to keep my core cool so and neglecting my extremities?
  • shaunroberts
    shaunroberts Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    When running I have this nasty habit of making fists; the harder I run the harder I squeeze my fists. This gave me numb fingers and has actually led to very sore knuckles. I was doing this without even thinking!

These days I run with one of those water bottles with the hole in the middle. This stops me squeezing my fists.

Could be something simple :smile: Just a thought.

Shaun.
  • New_determination
    Options
    Thnx everyone goin to try n pay attention how I run n hold myself.