Crazy flux...need advice!

Options
I started my journey on June 26th. I've since lost 21 pounds and need to lose between 80 and 100 more. Since the beginning of September I have been bouncing around the mid to high 240's like a crazy pin ball and I'm getting very discouraged. There were 2 weeks where I couldn't exercise due to being very sick and then about a week where I had to take it easy because of the antibiotics. This last week I have done really very well but it doesn't seem to be changing the crazy fluctuation that I am getting. Any advice would be really welcome. Thank you

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Seven weeks without a downward trend sounds like you might be eating at maintenance.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Dunno but I'm gonna friend you cause I'm in the same boat.

In my case I have to reassert my will on the diet. To easily falling back into old habits :/
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Do you weigh everything you eat? Do you eat back your exercise calories? Can you open your diary?

Bear in mind that fluctuating daily is completely normal - many people find they can be several pounds different one day to the next. You need to watch the trend over several weeks.
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    The one thing to do is never give up and become unmotivated.. If you were on antibiotics that might be something to look into, and also over those weeks you were sick if you had no appetite your metabolism may be trying to readjust itself with the new foods you are eating and exercise
  • Merans_Mixtape
    Merans_Mixtape Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    DemoraFairy, I do weigh everything I eat, even though it bugs my husband to death. I have only eaten back my exercise calories on occasion though over the few weeks that I was sick it did happen a few more times. I have been trying to keep in mind the flux that one can have on a daily basis and that's part of the reason I have waited till now to ask for advice. My Diary is now open as well so that I can get the help I need if anyone is willing
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Good job logging your food and weighing it!

Looking at your diary, I'd say you're eating at maintenance. Even at 240, your maintenance may be around 2000-2100.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Also: does your scale need new batteries? Or is it just a temperamental beast? Replace if suspicious... My old scale would yo yo me around a range of 5 pounds, which I just thought 'meh, water...sodium...whatever...' but when I replaced it with an aria scale my yo yo range is more like 12-15 ounces... Much more plausible when you really think about it!

The yogurt advice is good. Or have a small amount of a locally fermented food (so, some farm market product not a big industrial producer)

Is there a chance you've just not gotten yourself back to your pre-illness level of activity? That can take some time, but those calories have to be compensated for somehow. Maybe add a short walk if you can.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    scolaris wrote: »
    Also: does your scale need new batteries? Or is it just a temperamental beast? Replace if suspicious... My old scale would yo yo me around a range of 5 pounds, which I just thought 'meh, water...sodium...whatever...' but when I replaced it with an aria scale my yo yo range is more like 12-15 ounces... Much more plausible when you really think about it!

The yogurt advice is good. Or have a small amount of a locally fermented food (so, some farm market product not a big industrial producer)

Is there a chance you've just not gotten yourself back to your pre-illness level of activity? That can take some time, but those calories have to be compensated for somehow. Maybe add a short walk if you can.
    A range of 5 pounds in far, far more common than a range of 12-15 ounces. I'd say that small a range is less likely to be plausible.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I like local products, but why does it have to be locally fermented? There are some great companies with nationwide distribution (Farmhouse Cultures is one of my favorites).
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    MjsJourney wrote: »
    DemoraFairy, I do weigh everything I eat, even though it bugs my husband to death. I have only eaten back my exercise calories on occasion though over the few weeks that I was sick it did happen a few more times. I have been trying to keep in mind the flux that one can have on a daily basis and that's part of the reason I have waited till now to ask for advice. My Diary is now open as well so that I can get the help I need if anyone is willing

In which case I'd agree with the others saying to lower your calories by 100 or so a day and seeing how that goes.

Looking at your diary, do you check what the weighed calories are against the calories for cups and such? You've got a lot of entries like 1 cup of potatoes, 1 spoon of mayonnaise, 1 spoon of sugar, 1 serving of cheese dip, etc. Are you calculating the calories separately then just using these entries in the database and making sure the calories are right?
  • scolaris
    Options
    Yes, national is fine... I just meant not cooked & zapped to such a degree as to be sterile like so much of that can be!

And yeah, I don't fluctuate like that anymore on my new scale. I weigh at the same context each day (upon waking) & and in the same location (so the scale isn't recalibrating) & I only use my own scale (not the doctor's or the feed store's -hahaha) and it is never more or less than what I just indicated in any 24-48 hour period. I'm leaving on a vacation tomorrow so a wild *kitten* change a week or ten days later would be plausible... But 5 lbs in 24-48 hours? Sorry, I think that's mechanical imprecision not physiological processes.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    But 5 lbs in 24-48 hours? Sorry, I think that's mechanical imprecision not physiological processes.
    You are mistaken.

• scolaris
    Options
    Guess I'm not carb gorging or alcohol binging enough! Hahaha
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Yes, national is fine... I just meant not cooked & zapped to such a degree as to be sterile like so much of that can be!

And yeah, I don't fluctuate like that anymore on my new scale. I weigh at the same context each day (upon waking) & and in the same location (so the scale isn't recalibrating) & I only use my own scale (not the doctor's or the feed store's -hahaha) and it is never more or less than what I just indicated in any 24-48 hour period. I'm leaving on a vacation tomorrow so a wild *kitten* change a week or ten days later would be plausible... But 5 lbs in 24-48 hours? Sorry, I think that's mechanical imprecision not physiological processes.

Salt or exercise can cause my scale one morning's weigh in to be 5 lbs higher than it was the day before. Eating at maintenance one day can also make this happen, and it's not necessarily the day after I eat at maintenance when it happens, either.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm not carb gorging or alcohol binging enough! Hahaha

I've had my weight go up this much without extra carbohydrates or alcohol. Consuming extra sodium, spending lots of time in the pool, hard workouts, air travel, and certain times of the month all seem to be associated with extra weight on the scale for me -- sometimes as much as 5-6 pounds. You can experience weight fluctuations without gorging or binging.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    It sounds like just this last week is really your question mark. The other two you figured out. Perhaps even when you got back into your groove, you might be eating closer to maintenance than you think?

Just an idea....
  • Merans_Mixtape
    Merans_Mixtape Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much for the advice and suggestions. I weighed in today and am now dropping down again. thank you all again