Haven't Lost in 4 days now...advice?

Options
Like the subject says, I haven't lost any weight in 4 days now and I'm starting to get frustrated. I'm eating 1500-ish cals a day, trying to work out 30 mins a day, 5-6 days a week. I lost 10lbs in a month and then nothing the past 4 days. Any advice to break past this plateau? Feeling very discouraged :(

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Patience. 4 days is not a plateau.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    4 days is nothing. I understand it's frustrating, but a plateau is several WEEKS without weight loss. Sometimes when you lose weight quickly (and ten pounds in a month is quick!), your body will sometimes hold the same weight for a little while and then begin losing again. Just keep at it!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Be more realistic with your expectations.
  • redwingsfan6712
    redwingsfan6712 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel but 4 days is nothing to worry about. You may want to stop weighing yourself so often and perhaps take measurements once a week. Pay attention to how your clothes fit, how much you're increasing your endurance and strength through exercise and how much better you feel.
  • KT_3009
    KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    4 days is not enough time to worry about being on a plateau I'd look into weighing yourself on a weekly basis even a fortnightly basis! Don't worry about no weightloss in such a short time because you are most likely losing inches off your body. Best of luck and keep positive :)
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    You need to educate yourself about weight loss.

Four days is an absolutely meaningless amount of time.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    4 days may be the smallest amount of time I've ever seen anyone call a plateau :P

As everyone else has said, you need to be a lot more patient! You can go weeks without losing while doing everything right, you can't expect to steadily lose weight each day. Weight loss is not linear.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I find when my weight loss stops for a few days, I often lose suddenly over a few more days. Wait it out.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Patience. 4 days is not a plateau.

Absolutely. I often go two weeks without losing, but am on a diet that I can stick too, so I can be patient.

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    4 days is absolutely nothing to be concerned about. Bear in mind, you still have three whole days left of the week AND your weight will fluctuate constantly. Are you weighing daily? I'd definitely suggest sticking to weekly weigh-in's (same day, same time etc) if you aren't comfortable with the daily fluctuations (or LACK of). The scales do all sorts of strange things that are in fact totally and utterly normal and to be expected. Hang in there and give the scales a break for a few days.
  • looney9708
    looney9708 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    You need to read weight loss is not linear. Sometimes it will go up even. Keep on keeping on. No cheats and keep plugging forward.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    katiepaff wrote: »
    Like the subject says, I haven't lost any weight in 4 days now and I'm starting to get frustrated. I'm eating 1500-ish cals a day, trying to work out 30 mins a day, 5-6 days a week. I lost 10lbs in a month and then nothing the past 4 days. Any advice to break past this plateau? Feeling very discouraged :(

Weight loss isn't linear. You will not lose every week and definitely not every day. Some weeks you will stay the same and some you will see a slight gain. Look for trends over a period of several weeks.
    No loss for 4 days =/= plateau
    Plateau = 4-6+ weeks without a loss

Hormones around TOM will cause a slight gain on the scale for most women. It's water retention that comes off on it's own, but yes it shows as a gain in weight on the scale. This is one of the reasons it is recommended to look at the trend over a 4 week period.
    New exercise plan or increased intensity in workout will show on the scale. Either it will look as though nothing is changing or you will see a slight gain. This is the body storing water for muscle repairs. Again it comes off on it's own. Another reason to look at the overall trend and not individual weigh-in's.
    Eat more sodium than normal. Expect to see a slight gain on the scale. It's water retention that sticks around long enough for your body to flush out the excess sodium.
    Constipated. Yes, that will show on the scale too.

Take measurements. Take pictures. Don't rely on the scale as the only way to judge your progress. Be patient.

An example of why individual weigh in's can be misleading:
    Last week Monday - 125.2 lbs
    Today - 127.8 lbs
    Looks like a gain of 2.6 lbs

Avg weight 9/28 to 10/4 - 127.13 lbs
    Avg weight 10/5 to 10/11 - 126.6 lbs
    Loss of 0.53 lbs
    My average weight shows that I lost weight even though the individual weigh-in's look like a really bad gain. The amount I lost between the averages is about what I should expect given my weight. I expect my average to fall within 0.5 and 1.2 lbs per week at this point.

And here is from what my weigh-in's from trendweight.com look like at 4 weeks, zoomed out to 3 months, and zoomed out to 6 months:
    red line is the trend
    1f0tlq2hdn31.jpg

wy7zgmvsyh3n.jpg

• katiepaff
    katiepaff Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Question: should I or should I not eat back my exercise calories? Would stopping that help me?
  • MarietjieHoward
    MarietjieHoward Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Don't WORRY about it huni, I went through exactly the same thing last week, did not loose anything for 7 days, I was discouraged as well, but ignored the feeling and just pushed on, I was rewarded for my patients, this morning when I weighed in I lost 2lbs,
    Be patient it will happen... and don't feel discouraged.xx
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Question: should I or should I not eat back my exercise calories? Would stopping that help me?
    Not on the basis of not losing weight for four days.

You're trying to solve a problem that isn't a problem.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Would it keep your body from fluctuating? No. Your body will always have dips and stalls in weight like this.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Did you pay any attention to the replies to your initial non-issue?

Based on your first post here, you're losing about 2.5 lbs per week ... an extremely rapid rate. Four days is not a plateau as loss is not a linear process ... but rather than deal with that simple concept you're looking to increase your deficit?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options

It is too soon to evaluate that. 4 days of not losing does not indicate a problem. Fluctuations are normal. Our bodies are not a static weight.

With MFP method, yes you should be eating some back. It is typically recommended to start with 50-75% to account for errors and then re-evaluate in 4-6 weeks.
    Is your average loss over 4 weeks more than what you aimed for? Then, eat more of those exercise calories.

Is your average loss over 4 weeks less than what you aimed for? Eat less of the exercise calories and/or look over your logging. Losing less than expected can be the result of errors in logging and/or overestimating calories burned.

Is your average loss over 4 weeks what you aimed for? Perfect. No adjustments are needed at this time.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    There is no problem with you body just your expectations.