Camping food idea??

Options
My family are going camping this weekend. I need some advice of what should I bring to camping. I dont want to eat all those junkies food. Any idea of what I could bring in a healthy way??

Thanks for any recommendation!

:)

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Camping with a camper and cooler or roughing it - backpacking/camping ?
  • Skinnymomma11
    Options
    with camper...i also have cooler too..
  • eveydunton
    eveydunton Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Fresh pasta is always good as it cooks quickly.

Also tin of mixed beans, tin of tuna, chopped red onion all mixed together and some lemon juice and pepper poured over it all and served with salad and crusty bread has always gone down well with my lot.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Trail mix. Nuts and dried fruit.
  • funkyfr3sh
    funkyfr3sh Posts: 10
    Options
    Make ahead breakfast burritos – whole wheat tortilla, scrambled eggs (more whites than yolk to make them lower in fat), salsa, veggies and cheese then wrap individually tightly in foil and freeze. When you take camping, leave in the cooler then throw onto the hot coals to warm up.

Some of the other things I make sure to bring when I camp:
    - Fresh fruit
    - Precut veggies
    - Nuts (almonds, cashews)
    - Dried fruits (apricots, raisins, figs, dates)

Another thing I have been making is oatmeal banana breakfast bars / cookies (with apple sauce and WW flour). They would be perfect to eat at room temperature or wrapped in foil over the fire for a quick easy snack.
  • Stagezz
    Stagezz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I always take those aluminum foil bags and cut up fresh veggies (squash, zuccini, peppers, onions, etc) put a little water in there and some spices and stick it on the fire rack for like 30 minutes...Perfect yummy steamed veggies!
  • judyfurtado
    judyfurtado Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    we are going in a couple of weeks and we were planning on making chicken kabobs to take and turkey spinach burgers. I was alo going to bring multi grain chips and nuts
  • AJCoombs
    AJCoombs Posts: 16
    Options
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Potato-Sausage-Foil-Packs
    We had these last night and they were so good! And only 408 calories per pack. Which I thought was really good.
  • daisyelaine
    daisyelaine Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I'm with the pasta, and well.. anything you can barbecue. We went camping with friends of ours, and they brought their crockpot, and did meatless lasagna in there-- and worked out perfectly. Also, make up a batch of chili before you go, and put that ( or spaghetti sauce, anything else you might need just warmed up) in to a large ziploc bag and freeze it. When you're out, pop the ziploc bag in your pot with some water in it to heat it up a bit, ( over a fire or bbq) After a bit, dump your water and our your chili in your pot, and you're good to go. Plus, when it's frozen, it acts as a cold bag for your other stuff in your cooler!
  • ande2994
    ande2994 Posts: 136
    Options
    If you're sleeping in a tent, that usually means you're doing some physical outdoor activity all day. You'll have to eat more calories than usual to make up for all the ones you burn hiking or swimming or paddling or whatever you plan to do with the daylight hours. I think a s'more is in order.... as long as it's not five s'mores. :)
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Love breakfast when camping.

Eggs -- this is a good opportunity to empty the fridge before you leave on your trip. Dice up the extra luncheon meat, leftovers, etc. Throw them in a gallon-sized baggie with some eggs. Add cheese, peppers, green onions, whatever. Shake well. Pour straight from the baggie to your camping skillet. Throw away baggie. Simple.

Potatoes. -- Dice up some potatoes. Throw them in a gallon-sized baggie a couple days before leaving so they soak up all that garlic and onion taste.. Add a little olive oil, garlic, onions, salt and pepper. Shake well. Pour straight from the baggie to your camping skillet. Throw away baggie. Simple.

Chicken -- Throw them in a gallon-sized baggie a couple days before leaving. Drizzle olive oil in the baggie. Pour your favorite rub or spices in the baggie. Shake well. Pour straight from the baggie to your grill Throw away baggie. Simple.

Bloody Marys -- Take a 1/2 full bottle of Bloody Mary Mix. Add lemon juice. Add tobasco. Add Worchestershire sauce. Fill with Vodka. Throw some celery sticks in a (you guessed it) gallon-sized baggie. Pour Bloody Mary Mix into plastic cups filled with ice. Stir with celery sticks. Throw away baggie. Throw away empty Bloody Mary Bottle. Simple.

Take a nap.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Kebabs, foil bags of veg / potatoes, campfire stew (toss meat, veg, water/broth in a kettle and simmer over the fire)

Also, grilled fruit is AWESOME. Top some grilled pineapple or mango on meat...mmm.

Campfire stuffed peppers - hollow out bell peppers and stuff with (raw) meat and other fixin's, wrap in foil, place stuffed (open) side of pepper face down on the fire, let it simmer inside the foil until cooked, then if you want, unwrap from foil and place peppers directly on the grill for the charred / roasted flavor.

Basically ingredients + spices + foil and you can come up with some campfire masterpieces :smile:
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Cut up lots of different fruits and veggies before you go. Use them is salads, cook or for snacking. Chicken, Fish, Turkey burgers. Lots of bottled water. Baked potatoes, Sweet Potaotes. PB and J. Low charb breads. Whole grain cereal and low fat milk. Eggs. Flavored rice cakes, Marshmallows, Dark choc, and low fat Graham crackers.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    grapes.
  • khstafford
    khstafford Posts: 19
    Options
    I love camping! Im not too outdoorsy but recently gotten into it! I love grilled edamame, or any grilled veggie! Fat free hotdogs grilled with wheat buns, turkey pattys for hamburgers, baked chips and salsa dip, fresh carrot sticks for snacks and grill a bannana instead of doing marshmellows.. its yummy!
  • Skinnymomma11
    Options
    Thank you all for the comment.... It's a new idea! And Im gonna do every one of it! So I'm so ready for the weekend with new ideas... Have a great WEEKEND!!!

Thanks! :)