late comer to introductions

Options
Hi,
I have been a member of MFP, but just getting around to introducing myself. (I can't even remember when I first joined (last spring?) I have enjoyed this site - there are so many programs out there that are so expensive. I did WW a few yrs ago and lost 20 lbs, but have gained 10 back. Now, I'm trying to get motivated and really make some stronger efforts to "change the lifestyle" and MAINTAIN the same weight instead of a lot of the "yo-yo"ing.

I am 48 yrs old and discovered through physical therapy that I have mild arthiritis in my hips, among other soreness. I have learned a lot about my body through PT and my therapist; but now, I'm on my own to try exercises. I have bought videos, but they are too strenuous for what I can handle. I've always been active, so feel confident that with motivation I'll be able to regain my muscle through cardio activities. I have to be careful though, because even "power walking" I can easily tear a ligament in my groin area.

Since I lead a sedentary lifestyle, sitting mostly at work (I'm a teacher), and continue to sit at home with school work; I struggle in finding time and energy to do any activity. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Replies

• sharuss
    Options
    Hi,
    I have been a member of MFP, but just getting around to introducing myself. (I can't even remember when I first joined (last spring?) I have enjoyed this site - there are so many programs out there that are so expensive. I did WW a few yrs ago and lost 20 lbs, but have gained 10 back. Now, I'm trying to get motivated and really make some stronger efforts to "change the lifestyle" and MAINTAIN the same weight instead of a lot of the "yo-yo"ing.

I am 48 yrs old and discovered through physical therapy that I have mild arthiritis in my hips, among other soreness. I have learned a lot about my body through PT and my therapist; but now, I'm on my own to try exercises. I have bought videos, but they are too strenuous for what I can handle. I've always been active, so feel confident that with motivation I'll be able to regain my muscle through cardio activities. I have to be careful though, because even "power walking" I can easily tear a ligament in my groin area.

Since I lead a sedentary lifestyle, sitting mostly at work (I'm a teacher), and continue to sit at home with school work; I struggle in finding time and energy to do any activity. Any suggestions would be helpful.
  • strawberryblonde1
    Options
    hi, and welcome! :flowerforyou: i don't know if you like to swim, but i tore a muscle in my leg during high school (not the same, but still i was unable to run, even walk... etc...) so as part of my rehab i did lots of targeted strength training.... arms, back... etc... and i swam...:bigsmile: you could tred water, walk in the water, or do laps.... not sure if this helps, but it worked for me! good luck!:bigsmile:
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Hi Sharuss:flowerforyou: I am 59 years old and have arthritis in my hips, plus degenerative disc disease. Plus recovering from an operation done in August. So I understand your concern for being able to be more active. I started out with just walking when I could everyday and even if I only burnt 200caloies that helps to have the extra 200 calories and to build up your strength everyday. I was in the hospital for over a month and came home with a walker and now using a cane. It 's like starting all over again, and it being winter the walks are just when the weather will allow. Just take it one step at a time and not worry about power walking and risk injuring yourself to where you can't walk at all. I bought a meter I clip on and it tells me how many steps and miles I walk and how many calories I burn. You would be surprised at how many calories you burn in a day , especially you being a teacher and walk around the school. I hope you get to feeling better, and wish you the best. This site has helped me in the past by all the good support of the people on here.

:heart: Karen
  • sharuss
    Options
    Hi Strawberry Blonde 1,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I wished I had access to a pool, even a jacuzzi would be nice! Since I live in the "back woods" of NH, a pool is about an hour away. oh well! I'll have more chances in the summer when it's warmer! We're getting 8-12 inches of snow today (as I write this!) which makes for some tough exercising in the winter. :laugh: unless I put on my snowshoes, of course!
  • sharuss
    Options
    Hi Karen,
    Your suggestions are very much appreciated. I'm hoping we can get a treadmill soon, which is easier than the pull and tug with the dog; and also easier on the hips. Why is it that using a treadmill has less strain and stress (and pain when walking or jogging) than on the road? Also, at this time, we're getting 8-12 inches of snow, and walking is tough for me in the winter. (scared of falling, especially on ice!) :cry:

I used my snowshoes yesterday for the first time, and loved it! (but I can't walk the dog at the same time though!) I'll have to set up a regular schedule and walk after school before dark.... or even on the weekends.

Sharon :smile:
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Hey Sharuss - I too have some arthritis in my hips - I use an exercise ball to help strengthen my hips, sitting on it and just bouncing gently, rolling forward into a squat and then back up again, shifting my weight from side to side and then I do jumping jacks (on a rug) and/or walk on the treadmill. It is a lower impact than walking on pavement because there is some give to it... same thing with jumping on a rug, less impact. I feel stronger every day and am actually liking (a little) to exercise because I am NOT causing myself pain...

Good luck!:happy: