wich kind of scale should I buy?

Options
Hello Mfp world !
Hope all is well for you !!

So I am shopping for a new scale and there are plenty of those out there ! Who KNew !!!

I saw some that shows body fat..Are they accurate? is it worth the higher price??

What kind are you using, wich ones are the best??

Thanks !!

This is an amazing journey loaded with NSV everday for most of us!
Let's keep on going !!!
:bigsmile:

Replies

• rylest04
    rylest04 Posts: 7
    Options
    I LOVE THE BMI / WEIGHT SCALES THAT WHY U KNOW UR FAT COUNT ALONG W UR TOTAL WEIGHT
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I wish I had bought one with a body fat measurement!
  • lijparsons
    lijparsons Posts: 258
    Options
    I have a Taylor scale that also measures Body fat, muscle mass, body water, and bone mass. I really like it because you get to see the "whole picture". For example, over the last few days, I actually GAINED a pound, but at the same time, my muscle mass went up 1% while my body fat went down 1%. I'm not feeling SO bad about the pound, because I can see that other changes are happening as well.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have a Taylor scale that also measures Body fat, muscle mass, body water, and bone mass. I really like it because you get to see the "whole picture". For example, over the last few days, I actually GAINED a pound, but at the same time, my muscle mass went up 1% while my body fat went down 1%. I'm not feeling SO bad about the pound, because I can see that other changes are happening as well.

How does it know that?
  • lijparsons
    Options
    The scale is stainless steel, and there are sensors inside. You have to be barefoot, and preferable "damp-ish" feet (so, after a shower). It uses bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA), to send a "pulse" through your body (you don't feel it, and it is harmless), to measure fat, muscle, water, and bone.
  • Atthea
    Atthea Posts: 53
    Options
    Wow!! Some can tell all that by feeling the bottom of your feet ?! I had no idea...
    I like that !!!

I saw the 'Tanita BF680 Duo Scale Plus Body Fat Monitor with Athletic Mode' around 60$......

???
  • lijparsons
    Options
    My husband bought ours at Costco for around $35-40. It is a Taylor, although I don't know the Model.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Wow! That sounds pretty cool!
  • Atthea
    Options
    My husband bought ours at Costco for around $35-40. It is a Taylor, although I don't know the Model.

That is Great ! Thank you very much for the tip !!!
    I just looked at Taylor's website and they have a huge range of scales, shows some expertise and I thought must be expensive !!
  • marieisthecool
    marieisthecool Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had no idea scales could do all of that. I might look in to buying one when I have some extra cash. seems like it's worth knowing!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I wish I had that Taylor scale! Mine just does body weight, water, and fat. I'd like to know muscle now though, since I am building some! SOme people may scoff and say they are not TRULY accurate, but hey, better than nothing for the price. NOt all that expensive either! I just got my THINNER scale because it was middle of the road priced maybe the same price as the better sounding Taylor! Darn! I shouldn't need a new one til I have been at goal for years! =D That's a happy thought!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Well, we bought a biometric impedence scale, which tells us weight, body fat % and water %. I'm not crazy about it. It seems so unreliable (in the scientific term, meaning there is too much variation in body fat % and water %. I really don't think my body fat can change that much within a day especially when the weight doesn't change as much).
    Anyway, I find myself wishing for a regular old scale. I guess I can always use the old fashioned scales at the gym :\
  • Atthea
    Options
    Well, we bought a biometric impedence scale, which tells us weight, body fat % and water %. I'm not crazy about it. It seems so unreliable (in the scientific term, meaning there is too much variation in body fat % and water %. I really don't think my body fat can change that much within a day especially when the weight doesn't change as much).
    Anyway, I find myself wishing for a regular old scale. I guess I can always use the old fashioned scales at the gym :\

See this is exactly something I was wondering about : ..Accuracy..and Dependability !
    Although I would love to have the feeling of "knowing it all" :happy:
    I still prefer a better investment long term than a false report short term !!

Anyone knows about a real good scale on the market????
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    I bought the Taylor scale at Kohl's for $8. Of course I had 30 kohl bucks! lol

A friend of mine bought the same scale on line. Her's has a lithium battery, mine has AA's. I wish I had a lithium, they last longer. I haven't had to buy one yet though. Another thing. I was literally on the floor at Kohl's for over an hour comparing each scale. This was had it all.

Mine is advertised by Biggest Loser body Fat scale +BMI. It tells me, weight, % Fat, water, muscle, BMR, and BMI.

http://www.amazon.com/Biggest-Loser-5568BL-Fat-Body-Stainless/dp/B001FWXFOK

I love it becuase I was not losing any weight. Now I know my body burns around 1400 cal a day, and if I wanted to lose a pound of weight I need to have a deficit of 3500 cal, which is roughly 300 cal a day, or 6oo if I want 2#. So I now know, I need to work out at least 600 cal a day, and only eat 1200 just to lose.

I have been using it and tracking my weight now for a month, I had been on a plateau for a month, and since I began using my scale I have lost 6#! with my old scale I couldn't tell if I was up or down, now I know for sure.

good luck! I hope you find the scale that works best for you!!!