Hello all sports fans - Time for pre season training

Options
Im roughly a stone over weight and looking to lose that in 6 weeks, Im also weight training to get back a bit of size for the new rugby season.

Im training 6 days a week for an hour a day, high intensity, and its not easy having had two years out through injury (lower back)

Anyone keen to share there training programmes get in touch.

Replies

• AlistairBrown
    AlistairBrown Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey Karl,

Just to touch base, where abouts are playing? What standard are you playings? What position etc? I am in a bit of a conundrum as well, as a 34 year old prop forward I had a great idea in January to finally stop using rugby as an excuse for being overweight and actually try and get fit, I have always been big but I acually wanted to be fit. I started with this My Fitness Pal (The phone App really helps) and have lost three stone, BUT, and here is the big BUT, I am now useless in the scrum. Everyomne I have come accross who for years I have been able to push them backwars, are basically all over me. I set myself the goal of the half marathon in May and while I started on the treadmill and weights, I started road running as well. I did the half mararthon and finished it, but what now?

So basically I am in two minds, weights and try and bulk up with suppliments or swap position.... a fourteen stone prop forward isn't a usefull one!!

Anyway, whats the weights programme you are doing? Are you using suplliments? How do you work out you are a stone overweight?
  • karlmcandrew
    karlmcandrew Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hello mate,

Yeh Im 15 st 10, play inside or outside centre, Play in a semi pro league, Midlands 1 for Wellingborough Town. however I believe they were relegated this year. Ive been the same for ages, pretending i can get by, Im the opposite to you really, im trying to lose some weight and maintain the size (muscle mass), really want to get running more, as at the mo I cant run a mile without dropping dead.

So as of monday I set out a set programme for lunch times alternating between weights and running each day, hopefully il build up to those sort of distances your doing in time.

Thats a heafty amount of weight you lost there fella, You considered flanker ?

Ive got back on the supplements, I use whey protein and creatine for training.

but I dont have a clue how tio improve my running, I suppose ive just got to keep plugging away, my added weight has really affected my speed, I think my aim is to get down below 15 again
  • georgebrown10
    georgebrown10 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm also starting pre season training but for my football season. Been out the game for 2 years and need to shed 3 stones... the journey has started. This should be fun. I'd like to wish you good luck with your training and i'm sure you'll hit your target!!
  • karlmcandrew
    Options
    Good man

and to you, its not the training that hurts so much, its the diet, so many things I caqnnot eat now, Im living pretty much on pasta chicken and veg.
  • AlistairBrown
    Options
    Yeh its made a massive difference, for teh first time since I was about 17, i actually feel fit, which is amazing. I gave up the ciggies as well which really helped with the training, but the best thing is the running, if you had asked me 12 months ago to run down a road for an hour, i would have told you to go forth and multiply, now it seems I can't get enough and unless I run for an hour I am disappointed. But as I said the downside is, i am now 14 stone 9, and don't know where to go. I am enjoying being fit and light, but is that enough to give rugby up? I thought about hooker but flanker is a definate option, imagine starting again after playing for 29 years!!!

The best thing is to imagine 42 bags of sugar and think, i was carrying that around with me 24 hours a day!

You mentioned wanting to lose weight but maintain size, I like being my curent size and I suppose the only reason i want to be bigger is rugby, but at the same time I enjoy the freedom that being fit brings. I don't know what to do, my Mrs loves it, loads of people have commented on it, but wht should I do.

I would give the backs a go, inside centre, in a Mike Tindal sort of role...... tempting!!!

George, stick at it mate, the first couple of months, I turned in to an *kitten* with my diet, no beer, no bread, no chocolate, I have slipped a couple of times recently but overall I have stuck to it. Its also tuened me in to the most boring git in the world!!

About the craetine, apparently it has serious side effects!! watch out!!
  • karlmcandrew
    Options
    yeh, to be fair Ive used creatine for a few years, havnt noticed anything yet, but dont worry Im not an excessive user...lol

Im pretty sure most people who enjoy a bit of contact like Inside centre, Its perfect for your size too, prob what i would like to get down too. Going to go and try to run 3 K in a minute. Thats literally where i am at at the mo, its so frustrating, as I used to be really fit. I also gave up the ciggies, however i still have the odd one on a night out....
  • AlistairBrown
    Options
    With regards to increasing the distances for running, this is something i followed for two weeks before the half marathon, it really helped.

This is the e-mail my mate sent to me......

The worst thing you could do now is to go out and try to run 10km+ as fast as you can or do 10km every day. You will end up getting injured.

You will be surprised what you body can do on the day and you will probably be able to cope with the ½ marathon now if you had to. Now having said that, you would be in bits for a few days after! That’s really where the training pays off – you body can recover quicker from these things.

We have 12 days to prepare and the main focus would be to give your legs some running but more importantly ensure you are rested and injury free for the 14th – that’s far more important than trying to get 100km run between now and then!

I would suggest something like:
    DAY DISTANCE EFFORT APPROX TIME (min)
    Mon 2nd 5km (you said you did this) 80% 30
    Tue 3rd 6km 75% 38
    Wed 4th 7km 70% 45
    Thurs 5th Rest – maybe swim if possible. Gentle stretching. Perhaps an easy walk of 2-3km
    Fri 6th 10km 65% 1h15 (walk if needed for 1min after 5km. Focus on going at an easy pace well within yourself.)
    Sat 7th 5km 70% 30
    Sun 8th Rest – as before
    Mon 9th 12km 65% 1h30 (Never push to exhaustion. Slow down if too uncomfortable. Think slow and steady)
    Tue 10th Rest – as before. Or 5km if feeling good.
    Wed 11th 4km 60% 28 (This is a warm down run)
    Thurs 12th REST
    Fri 13th REST

I suggest 5-10mins of stretching after every run. Use recovery shakes if you have. Drink plenty of water (2litres per day MIN). Perhaps a physio if you can on a rest day, especially closer towards the 14th if possible If you feel pain or injury, stop. No point pushing things.
  • AlistairBrown
    Options
    "Going to go and try to run 3 K in a minute", bloody hell thats a quick 3k!! Ha ha ha ha

If you build up your distances, your speed will come automatically, then the distances will start not to matter, I can now do 10 k and still feel I can carry on. Imagine, me, nearly 18 stone saying that!!
  • AlistairBrown
    Options
    Talking of giving up the Ciguies, there is an App called "Quit Now" it sits on the front of your phone and tells you how many Cigs you haven'tsmoked, how much money you have saved and how long sice you last had one. The trouble is there isn't a button to say "I got pissed at the rugby club ball and smoked like it was going out of fashion".
  • karlmcandrew
    Options
    lol...... thats exactly what happens, love it
  • karlmcandrew
    Options
    Cheers fella, really appreciate this, il let you know how i get on
  • karlmcandrew
    Options
    Mind you looking at those times, im a little way off that speed, I did 3k in 30 mins today and thats the first run ive done in 2 years, nearly died, lol
  • AlistairBrown
    Options
    The first run is the hardest, but at leats you ahve broken the back of it now, keep it going and you will be amazed how quick it turns round. I remember doing my first fivek on the road, it was the charity Run For ChristChurch thing (The entire club is full of Kiwis) and it felt like I was about to pass out, now, five k woulkd seem a doddle,...... Ipod on, shades on, 10 year old rugby t-shirt on and go for it.