Overeating with Friends :(

Options
I had supper with some friends today. I didn't want to dampen the mood and take the fun out of eating together by weighing my food or adding up calories. I ate what they did, even though if I was on my own I would have consumed signifacantly less. I feel bummed that I was so influence by my friends and ate too much to go way over my calorie count. I was on such a great roll this week. How can I stop myself from mirroring the eating patterns of the people I'm with?

Replies

• MegReed0685
    Options
    Eating with friends can be really difficult. I find that if you are completely open with your friends, especially prior to having any kind of social get together, it won't be as big of an issue when it comes down to counting calories at those events. They will know what to expect from you, and you won't feel so alienated and out of place. Friends should be supportive! Keep up the good work :)
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Honestly Its hard, it takes alot of will pwoer and/or alot of very understanding friends. If your tradition is to go out once a week/month/bi-weekly then I would consider making it a cheat day, still try to control yourself but dont beat yourself up if you go over. Try to encourage ordering healthier options. Or try to do things that arent so food centric. Like whne I go to the movies, I fill up on veggies before, I may still eat popcorn, but not as much.
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    So far, i realize that eating at family functions and with friends sets me back the most. I don't want to avoid my family and friends so I decided to still carry on the way I normally do when it comes to food. OR, I eat before I'm with them and bring a few snacks to carry me through if our time runs long. they'll totally understand if you're eating less and they're not true friends if they get mad that you're weighing your food. Just my 2 cents. Do what you normally do, friends should be apart of the normal routine, don't change/mess up for them. :) Good Luck!
  • mental_release
    Options
    I see two scenarios, eating out and going to their house where they made the food.

Eating out: Ordering good choices for yourself is not dampening the mood. The mood should be, and with friends probably is, surrounded by the friendship and laughter.

Eating in when they cook: Make it a cheat day. However, you can still have a say as too how much is put on your plate...there's no harm in that and I'm sure you're friends won't be offended.

Good Luck!

--MR
  • AmesLee78
    AmesLee78 Posts: 111
    Options
    I know how you feel :( I had to go to work with the husband today. We went to lunch with his boss and another co-worker. We went to Sweet Tomatoes (aka Souplantation.) Granted it's salads and mostly healthy soups and stuff, but it is a BUFFET. I was pretty good though. Usually I would eat 2-3 plates and dessert. I only ate 1 plate and a very small dessert, but it was still more than I wanted to waste on calories.

Anyway, don't beat yourself up over it. And if your friends were really supportive they wouldn't care if you weighed/measured your food when you're with them!
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Maybe look into intermittent fasting on days you're out with friends.
  • Driagnor
    Driagnor Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    There's also the option of eating what they are, but eating slowly, listening to your body's signals, and stopping eating when you're 80% full, even if it means that you've only eaten 1/3 of what's on the plate.

You can eat with your friends and not have to bring along your own food - however, your portions don't need to be the same size as everyone else's.

Also, if it's something that happens once in a while, don't beat yourself up about it - it happened, and making sure that you still enjoy time with your friends and have a sustainable lifestyle is more important than going 500 calories over your goal a couple of days a month.
  • Suzannejl
    Suzannejl Posts: 212
    Options
    I'm the friend! I always have huge potluck's at my house for the holidays, etc. But, I always bring something I can eat, and I try to get a work out in before we get together. I take smaller servings, and consider it a holiday!

Also, let your friends know ahead of time. It's always hard to figure out what to make anyway, a little guidance always helps. I love looking up new recipes!

I also try to go light on my other meals of the day.

And someone else also said, it's the total calories over the course of the week, not just one day. So eat lighter the day before, and/or the day afterwards.

bon appetite!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think portions are the answer... and eating slowly.
    Don't serve yourself (or order) too much, eat it slowly and don't feel you have to finish everything on your plate.
    Share a dessert with a friend (I bet at least one of them would be happy to) or order a coffee instead.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hungry girl advise

Important rules. Here they are...
    1. Don't drink your calories. There's nothing sadder than realizing you just consumed hundreds of calories by sipping a sweet drink... and you're still hungry! For the most part, I look for drinks with no more than 50 calories per cup, and I always check the labels carefully for the total servings per bottle.
    2. The 80/20 rule. I live by it. It means that 80 percent of the time, I eat what I know I should be eating. And 20 percent of the time, I allow myself to stray a bit. It's important to indulge every once in a while... like, maybe, 20 percent of the time!
    3. Don't turn a bad meal into a bad week. So you made a poor food choice. You're human. Don't give up and throw in the towel just because you overate. Jump right back into things at your next meal. No biggie. Truly.
    4. Identify and avoid your trigger foods. These are the foods you can't be trusted around -- the ones where "just a few" turns into WAY too much; the foods that seem to make you hungrier and hungrier. Don't keep these foods in the house. They're too tempting and not worth the trouble...
    5. Don't make excuses -- it's all about being prepared. The Boy Scouts know what they're talking about! If you know you're going out to dinner, check out the menu online so you can plan ahead and make smart choices. And always keep emergency snacks handy -- in your purse, car, desk drawer... wherever you might need them. Then you won't need to make excuses.
  • Rena421
    Rena421 Posts: 31
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I feel better now. :)
  • rocksmysocks1986
    Options
    Eat a healthy snack before you go, that way your not too hungry. Serve yourself last, so that everyone starts eating before you, so that your smaller portioned plate wont look so small by the time you start eating.
  • StephanieDuckie
    Options
    You know, chances are, they don't care! I doubt that they'd be offended if you only ate so much. Always be honest about it. "I'm watching what I eat." "I'm trying to lose weight" "I'm working on my summer body". Whatever the reasoning. Don't lie to your friends and say you ate before you came and you're not really hungry. You need thier support system anyways, right? Besides, maybe you'll inspire them to jump on the fitness wagon with you? =]