Are you still drinking soda?

Options
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/06/08/aspartame-toxic-sweetener.aspx

Extremely interesting article, and I recommend everybody read it. Glad I stopped drinking this garbage 3 years ago.

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    yep I drink soda ..probably only 1 time a month when I crave it
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Nope!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Ditto! I crave a diet orange soda or a diet dr pepper. I know it's bad though :(
    yep I drink soda ..probably only 1 time a month when I crave it
  • jkd1214
    jkd1214 Posts: 27
    Options
    Today is my day 2 of not drinking diet soda. I don't ever drink the "hard stuff" - only diet. It's hard though when it's ALWAYS in my house. My bf grew drinking it with every meal and he drinks it more than water. I'm working on him drinking more water but he REFUSES to give up soda. He quit smoking for me so I guess I need to pick my battles. So....I'm doing the no soda thing alone.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Afraid to read it as I sit here having downed nearly a 2 liter of diet Pepsi and it's not even 10 AM. To say I drink too much diet soda, is an UNDERSTATEMENT!

I've quit before but am just weak i guess.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    141 Days drinking NOTHING but water and counting!!
  • david83ec
    david83ec Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I still drink soda but I changed to diet/zero versions, but I will ask my dr about this article, thanks
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I have soda once a week. I ususally ask for water.
  • vpwelsh
    vpwelsh Posts: 31
    Options
    no our family stopped drinking soda a few years ago
  • LDJones57
    LDJones57 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've cut way back....from 2-3 diet sodas a day to maybe one or two a week. When I learned diet soda triggers the same insulin response and that insulin is what triggers fat storage and inhibits fat burning I decided to start phasing it out of my diet. Ultimately, water is so much better for you!
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't ever drink diet soda...if I have soda, which is rare now, I just drink regular. Even a nutritionist told me that if you are going to drink soda, go for the regular and skip the diet version.
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I feel like if you look hard enough you will find a news story telling you that ANYTHING is bad for you.

That being said, I don't drink a lot of diet soda. Fortunately I was never a big soda drinker - I will drink it if it's handy though. I mostly drink unsweet tea with Splenda (which I'm sure some people think it's just as bad as asperthame) but I drink water like it's my job.

Honestly I think that anything is going to affect your health if you have too much of it. Nothing wrong with a die soda once in a while.
  • Emismom77
    Emismom77 Posts: 56
    Options
    I am new to this and yes, I still drink a regular soda on occasion. I can't drink diet drinks b/c of the asparteme and other artificial sweeteners. I suffer from migraines and the sweeteners trigger a headache. I am slowly weaning myself off of sodas completely, but it'll take some time. I enjoy ice cold water with lemon most of the time though.
  • beverlyl64
    beverlyl64 Posts: 381
    Options
    I gave up soda in Dec. 2010 have not missed it at all. Took a sip of my daughters a couple of times, cause I thought I wanted it, and it was disgusting. One accomplishment I am very proud of.
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Afraid to read it as I sit here having downed nearly a 2 liter of diet Pepsi and it's not even 10 AM. To say I drink too much diet soda, is an UNDERSTATEMENT!

I've quit before but am just weak i guess.

You can be strong again if you have done it before. I usually try to make small goals like go two weeks without soda. If I make that goal, then I upped my goal to four weeks and continue. My longest goal was a month and half. After a while soda starts taste funny if you've gone so long without drinking soda.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    LOTS of people on BOTH SIDES of this age old argument. Provide the facts and hope someone makes an educated decision about it.

For me personally, my brother-in-law knew one of the men on the engineering team that developed aspartame- and that man would not ALLOW his own family to consume it.
    THAT was enough for me at the time ( I was in my 20's) .......but years later, I decided I'd try it anyhow.
    (almost) INSTANT migraine.... tried it again, and again and again in various foods ( hot/cold)....Same result.
    So, a no-brainer for me........

BTW, I recently realized that REGULAR soda is a huge trigger for me for sweet binges...not sure what it does to me physiologically, but have decided to not "prime THAT pump" and avoid ALL of it, period. Lots of alternatives out there.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I feel like if you look hard enough you will find a news story telling you that ANYTHING is bad for you.

That being said, I don't drink a lot of diet soda. Fortunately I was never a big soda drinker - I will drink it if it's handy though. I mostly drink unsweet tea with Splenda (which I'm sure some people think it's just as bad as asperthame) but I drink water like it's my job.

Honestly I think that anything is going to affect your health if you have too much of it. Nothing wrong with a die soda once in a while.

This is proven research. :) Can't believe what our FDA approves. Whole food is the way to go.
  • mizfrankie
    mizfrankie Posts: 100
    Options
    oh I know aspartame is BAAAAD!!! But I do love my sprite zero and coke zero and even some diet dr pepper. Not every day...hmmm...what can I have instead?
  • eklei123
    eklei123 Posts: 27
    Options
    If I'm gonna screw myself up, I'm going for the real stuff!! LOL However, I almost always drink water or coffee. I've never understood why people like to drink these things so much, when water makes you FEEL more hydrated. If I'm thirsty, I'm drinking water.
  • helloiloveukitty
    helloiloveukitty Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    hell no...its poison. I gave it up over a year and a half ago. I don't think I'd have lost much weight at all not giving it up.