Anyone have experience running in NOLA? Suggestions?

Does anyone live in NOLA or have run there? If so, can I run the FQ on up to the city park? Is it safe?

Replies

• BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    bump
  • BobcatGirl110
    Bump
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    I'll bite, what is NOLA?
  • BobcatGirl110
    I'm sorry....New Orleans. I guess if people had run there or are from there they would know and I apologize for that. Then again, no one is offering assistance so I think I'm going to have to resort to the web :)
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    I've visited NOLA before. What time will you be running? Early morning, you won't have many issues in the FQ. As people start to wake up and venture out (lunch time and later), the FQ gets busy, too busy to really run through. The area between Rampart and I-10 isn't the best. Do you have someone to run with?
  • BobcatGirl110
    No I'll be running alone and yes it would be early....8am each day. I was hoping to head out from FQ straight up New Orleans Ave to the City Park.
  • xcalygrl
    At 8AM you should be fine. There will be next to no one out, except the street sweepers/cleaners that clean up the FQ every morning.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    No I'll be running alone and yes it would be early....8am each day. I was hoping to head out from FQ straight up New Orleans Ave to the City Park.

lol most people mean early morning like 5 AM... 8 AM really isn't that early honestly.
    But you should be fine- most people are making their way to work at that hour.
  • BobcatGirl110
    I agree...at home I run at 5 so I can get ready for work...I think on a vaca I shouldn't have to get up so early :) So between 7-8 isn't early; but earlier than noon :) thank you!!!!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    I walked at Audubon park there, although in the afternoon. It was an AWESOME park! If I hadn't been with my pregnant sister I would have run.
  • BobcatGirl110
    omma_to_3 wrote: »
    I walked at Audubon park there, although in the afternoon. It was an AWESOME park! If I hadn't been with my pregnant sister I would have run.

:) darn pregnancies....next time perhaps!
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    NOLA - I didn't know what it was btw, is one of my favorite cities. I haven't run it as yet but I sure have walked it and stumbled through it :) I used to fly in and out of there and spend the night before heading to Mississippi. There always seemed to be something going on that made running seem safe to me (depending on where you are). I mostly stayed along the river though so that I could be close to Cafe Du Monde :)
  • xcalygrl
    NOLA - I didn't know what it was btw, is one of my favorite cities. I haven't run it as yet but I sure have walked it and stumbled through it :) I used to fly in and out of there and spend the night before heading to Mississippi. There always seemed to be something going on that made running seem safe to me (depending on where you are). I mostly stayed along the river though so that I could be close to Cafe Du Monde :)

Best coffee and beignets you can get, yummy!
  • SAfricaChick
    SAfricaChick Posts: 1,143 Member
    I ran the Jazz half marathon there last year and doing it again this year (end of Oct). It starts at Lafayette Square to Audubon Park (through the park) and back to Lafayette Sq. To me it looked extremely safe - my husband and I walked around the FQ for hours and hours and it never occurred to me to be scared - I would have easily done it on my own (and I am from Africa where we are ALWAYS scared LOL)
    I LOVE NOLA! You must have fun! When are you going? I would be interested in a weather update! Last year was freakishly cold, but usually this time of year is supposed to be hot and humid.
  • SAfricaChick
    SAfricaChick Posts: 1,143 Member
    Oh and I am with you about Café du Monde! Went there for coffee and beignets at midnight and it was still packed!
  • jself325
    jself325 Posts: 13 Member
    I live and run in NOLA. I wouldn't really recommend a run from FQ to City Park as you would go through some seedy areas on the way there. The Crescent City Classic basically takes that route, but there will be oversight and many, many people. I would recommend a run down St. Charles (my usual). The scenery is great and the neutral ground is dirt so it will be easier on your feet. Audubon Park is also great, has a 1.8-mile and 3.4 mile track.

Hope this helps
  • BobcatGirl110
    I ran the Jazz half marathon there last year and doing it again this year (end of Oct). It starts at Lafayette Square to Audubon Park (through the park) and back to Lafayette Sq. To me it looked extremely safe - my husband and I walked around the FQ for hours and hours and it never occurred to me to be scared - I would have easily done it on my own (and I am from Africa where we are ALWAYS scared LOL)
    I LOVE NOLA! You must have fun! When are you going? I would be interested in a weather update! Last year was freakishly cold, but usually this time of year is supposed to be hot and humid.

I fly in tomorrow and it's supposed to be upper 70s through Tuesday when I leave so we'll see. I know it's like 87 today so there is quite a drop in temp coming over the next 24 hours evidently (there is here in Ohio too so must be impacting the whole eastern states)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    you might consider looking at runkeeper or other apps for routes others have taken for ideas too
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    The last time I was in NOLA I went for a run and ventured a bit too far north of the FQ and actually had 3 different people either stop their cars or shout at me to get back to Canal Street or get out of the area. That memory always sticks out because I've never had anything like that happen before while running somewhere, during the day no less, so it makes me think NOLA more so than other cities can go from OK to really dicey within just a few blocks. The next time I ran I stuck to the FQ or west of Canal along Poydras and up towards the Superdome and it was fine.
  • BobcatGirl110
    Thank you! Sounds like my best bet is to run down Canal, up along the river, around and back down along St. Claude to Rampart....I think that's what I'm going with :o