medicines that make you gain weight

Options
:flowerforyou: I am on tamoxifen for breast cancer. I have gained 30 pounds. It is depressing and I am trying really hard to get it off. I want to get healthy. Anyone going through similar situations please let me know.

Replies

• sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    lithium
    seroquel
    trazodone

these medications made me gain weight.

I would ask your doctor what the best way to lose weight would be so you can be healthier when fighting breast cancer!

You can fight it! :)
  • vpwelsh
    vpwelsh Posts: 31
    Options
    not tamoxifen for me but I recently had my thyriod removed and am on medication for that and am also a Diabetic and some of those medications cause weight gain or insulin resistance which causes weight gain...so I definitely feel your pain and frustrations!
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    I can't help, but wanted to send positive thoughts and prayers your way. Take care of yourself and good luck getting the answers you want.:flowerforyou:
  • molyowsk
    molyowsk Posts: 17
    Options
    I have found that all birth control (pills and patch) cause me to gain weight and my doctor's advice was to "just be aware and monitor [myself]".

Not much help but I feel for you. :(
  • mamaw53
    mamaw53 Posts: 71
    Options
    I was taking Gabapentine for treatment of Shingles for 1 1/2 years. This medicine stimulated my appetite and I was hungry all the time. I gained about 15 pounds. I finally was able to wean myself off of the medication and then lost the weight thanks to My Fitness Pal. This is a tough one. I too would like to get some ideas on how to maintain or lose weight while on medication that stimulates your appetite.
  • szieres
    szieres Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's disease, and when I was really sick, I lost about 50+ lbs.. then they put me on steroids for 6-8 months, and I gained 40lbs in 2 months, and then a total of about 50 or 60.. it put me at my highest weight ever!!!
  • SteffiLatta
    SteffiLatta Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am on Lamictal, and it's not supposed to have any weight gain associated to it, but that's just not true. Plus, the birth control makes me gain weight too.
  • sandraking
    Options
    thank you so much. Will be cancer free 5 yrs. in Sept. 2011. On medicine until March 2012. It may be a slow process but I feel I can do it. I have been through a lot and so far I have done great and I will conquer this weight gain and lose 30 pounds!