Slim fast

Options
Hey! I'm new to the forum and my fitness pal, I'm going to do this in line with slim fast. Anyone done SF before and had good results? Thanks, Anna

Replies

• heart3313
    heart3313 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I drink them about everyday ( at least 5 days a week- days that I work) for breakfast! I've done very well with them. Along with eating healthy/clean I went from 214-180 lbs in 5 months... if I have one for dinner I'll make it as a smoothie ... 1 slim fast, ice, banana, peanut butter, kale or spinach and blend. Hope this helps & good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I did Slim Fast years ago.......now here I am measuring portions and logging actual food (instead).

Meal replacements are great for TEMPORARY weight loss. However, measuring portions and logging actual food will teach you how to keep the weight off. Meal replacements are "shortcuts" but they teach you nothing.

Slim Fast was not filling to me - way too much sugar. Plus the fiber additive gave me gas. Heart3313 - if you are using Slim Fast....you most certainly aren't eating "clean." But eating "clean" isn't required for weight loss anyway.

You won't get much support for Slim Fast on a site for measuring & logging actual food............
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I lost 40 pounds on slim fast last year. Though I lost an additional 40 pounds from eating real food and keeping track. I prefer the eating food option.:p
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I just started using the chocolate powder because it's easier for me in the mornings after my walks. I mix it with peanut butter, a banana, or even instant coffee. Very good and it takes care of my sweet tooth. I just started using it so I don't have any results to report other than taste:)
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    heart3313 wrote: »
    I drink them about everyday ( at least 5 days a week- days that I work) for breakfast! I've done very well with them. Along with eating healthy/clean I went from 214-180 lbs in 5 months... if I have one for dinner I'll make it as a smoothie ... 1 slim fast, ice, banana, peanut butter, kale or spinach and blend. Hope this helps & good luck!

Oh wow that's awesome. Congrats on your weight loss!!
  • SpecialKH
    SpecialKH Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Nope. They make me ravenous. I need solid food. I can't control my appetite on slim fast. I also opted for portion control and measuring real food.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I did slim fast back in college. The shakes were chalky and sat in my stomach weirdly. Any weight that I did lose I gained back when I quit the program. I honestly don't know why I stuck with those shakes so long except that I had no clue how weight loss worked at the time.

While I do think it's possible to have success with slim fast, it's not something I'd personally recommend to newbies. The great thing about the MFP-style of weight loss is that it teaches you all of the healthy habits you need to transition successfully into weight maintenance. Things like portion sizes, food choices, macros, etc. Slim fast just doesn't give you the same tools for success in the long run.
  • heart3313
    heart3313 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I did Slim Fast years ago.......now here I am measuring portions and logging actual food (instead).

Meal replacements are great for TEMPORARY weight loss. However, measuring portions and logging actual food will teach you how to keep the weight off. Meal replacements are "shortcuts" but they teach you nothing.

Slim Fast was not filling to me - way too much sugar. Plus the fiber additive gave me gas. Heart3313 - if you are using Slim Fast....you most certainly aren't eating "clean." But eating "clean" isn't required for weight loss anyway.

You won't get much support for Slim Fast on a site for measuring & logging actual food............

Thanks for your advice! I guess I do it completely out of convenience! Running out of the house with the kids (2 & 4) in the morning...it's just easy to grab a shake! I eat food of course lol A little upsetting for you to say I'd get little support- but each their own I guess! :D
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

QFT.

You have to learn how to adjust your diet for a PERMANENT change. Slim Fast is fine for some people, but if that's all you use, when you hit your target and stop drinking SF, the weight will come back. If you want to add it (or one of the others) as a nutritional supplement drink and are willing to do that for the rest of your life, then fine. If not, don't spend your money on it. Take the time to learn proper logging and start working on changing your brain and body's idea of what an actual portion of food is. That's a skill that will take you much further and help you out down the road once you hit your goal.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I am not against drinking any of these types of shakes or eating their bars, what I am against; is the plan. Slim Fast was a lifesaver for me when I had my wisdom teeth removed & couldn't chew anything but that was it, I didn't use it as part of a "diet"; I used it for variety & convenience, like one would use Ensure today (it didn't exist then). These plans make you rely, too much on only consuming their beverages/foods. If these plans involved consuming only 1 of their products every day & they had more variety to offer, than they do; I'd be for it but with their limited selection of only shakes & bars, I'd agree that their plans should be limited to 1 product a week, which could easily be done & seems sustainable, even while in maintenance.

Another issue with these plans is that you're basically subsisting on candy/dessert in drink and/or bar form. How can a parent expect their children to eat their vegetables, when their watching a parent eat a candy bar or drink a milkshake, as a meal instead of just as a dessert, after a meal? Might as well allow the children to eat most of their meals at Rita's water ice & from the Mister Softee, Blue Bunny, Good Humor, etc. ice cream trucks, EVERY DAY!

I understand having a busy life but if one is relying on this as a convenience item, more than once daily; then it's necessary to prioritize one's life instead. If losing & maintaining one's weight, is important to them, they'll make time for it by scaling back on time spent doing other unnecessary things and/or combining them. For instance I only watch television/movies, when I exercise.
  • annamj2000
    annamj2000 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I had a shake for breakfast and one for dinner with boiled eggs for lunch. The shake did fill me initially but I have to say I found them VERY sweet and this is coming from someone with a sweet tooth! I was starving by the time I got home but I guess I'm just not used to it. You are right, it is only a short term thing, I only wanted to try it for a couple of a weeks to shift a few pounds and then go back to a sensible diet.

I did Slimming World a few years ago and lost nearly 2 stone which was great but that was when I had a desk job. I'm now a musician in the RAF so my job and schedule is all over the place and am on the go/on the road/get fed all the time so its hard to plan in advance when everyday is different which is why SW doesn't work for me now. I'm fairly fit but this doesn't seem to shift the pounds these days which is depressing, I don't have a hug appetite but I do have a sweet tooth.

I really like using this app so far so it maybe that SlimFast is something I use occasionally when I don't have time for lunch one day for conveniance. I'm thinking I might try having a healthy breakfast such as weetabix, Slimfast shake for lunch and healthy dinner, would I still lose weight this way if I only substitute 1 meal?? I will carry on logging everything and hopefully start shifting the pounds! Any advice is appreciated :)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I did slum fast once.
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    annamj2000 wrote: »
    would I still lose weight this way if I only substitute 1 meal??

All that's required to lose weight, is a Caloric deficit; how isn't a factor but you must make sure that, your getting enough of your nutrients: vitamins/minerals.