odwalla bars...where can I find them?

Options
So I live in podunk, middle of nowhere in the panhanled I enjoy odwalla bars but I can't ever find them. I'm an hour and a half or more from the nearest big city and shipping them is too expensive. Is there any place I can find them or are there any alternatives?

Replies

• vgnfarmer
    vgnfarmer Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've seen them for sale at Stop and Shop/Giant so you may be able to get them at local grocery store? Publix? Ask store managers if they'll give it a try
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Free shipping with Amazon Prime. How do their prices compare with those in the big city?
  • Ataraxia121
    Ataraxia121 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Odwalla bars have tons or sugar in them. Instead of spending the money on those, go to the grocery store and pick out the ingredients you like and make your own protein bars! It's super simple and in the long run, cheaper and healthier! I use protein powder, nuts, a bit of almond butter, dried coconut, and couple dates...etc. You can literally make any flavor you want! Be creative :p

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Odwalla bars have tons or sugar in them. Instead of spending the money on those, go to the grocery store and pick out the ingredients you like and make your own protein bars! It's super simple and in the long run, cheaper and healthier! I use protein powder, nuts, a bit of almond butter, dried coconut, and couple dates...etc. You can literally make any flavor you want! Be creative :p

She didn't ask about how to make her own protein bars though, so she doesn't need criticism. She likes Odwalla bars and wants to eat Odwalla bars, therefore that's what she should buy herself.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    synacious wrote: »

She didn't ask about how to make her own protein bars though, so she doesn't need criticism. She likes Odwalla bars and wants to eat Odwalla bars, therefore that's what she should buy herself.

Wow.
  • Maxematics
    Options

Wow.

There's nothing to wow about. It's her first post here and she really doesn't need someone commenting on how much sugar something she eats has when she just wants to know where she can buy something she likes. Unless OP has issues with insulin, she doesn't have to be overly cautious about her sugar intake; sugar isn't evil. For 99% of the things we eat, there are always healthier options. It doesn't mean we have to always choose the healthier option. My reply was blunt, yes, but I don't sugarcoat things (no pun intended).
  • atypicalsmith
    Options

Wow.

There's nothing to wow about. It's her first post here and she really doesn't need someone commenting on how much sugar something she eats has when she just wants to know where she can buy something she likes. Unless OP has issues with insulin, she doesn't have to be overly cautious about her sugar intake; sugar isn't evil. For 99% of the things we eat, there are always healthier options. It doesn't mean we have to always choose the healthier option. My reply was blunt, yes, but I don't sugarcoat things (no pun intended).

Are you a salesperson for Odwalla bars?
  • Maxematics
    Options

Wow.

Are you a salesperson for Odwalla bars?

If I were, I would have told the OP where to buy some. I think after 190 posts, and being a member for six years, I can safely say I don't sell protein bars or anything else diet and fitness related. I can also safely say that sugar intake does not hinder weight loss unless someone has an underlying medical issue with regard to it.
  • Ataraxia121
    Ataraxia121 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Holy moly! I was not criticizing anyone! I was just stating a fact about odwalla bars.. and btw she ASKED for an alternative so I was giving one. That's all!!
  • Maxematics
    Options
    Holy moly! I was not criticizing anyone! I was just stating a fact about odwalla bars.. and btw she ASKED for an alternative so I was giving one. That's all!!

Which is all well and good, but my point was that you could have given her the homemade alternative without commenting on how much sugar the other bars had though. Even with the ingredients you listed, which are comparable to a Larabar, the dates are going to give you just about as much sugar. Granted it's from a different source, but the body doesn't care where the sugar is from. Seeing as it was your first post as well, it seemed to me like you were the type of person who joins MFP believing sugar is the enemy and starts their journey taking the whole "no refined sugars, no breads, no dairy, etc" type of radical and misinformed approach to diet/weight loss.
  • psoasi
    psoasi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Pooky asked about other alternatives too, so astateoflinzi gave her one. She didn't criticize anyone.

Six years here and 190 post, but you have no idea what are you talking about.

"Unless OP has issues with insulin, she doesn't have to be overly cautious about her sugar intake; sugar isn't evil"
    " I can also safely say that sugar intake does not hinder weight loss unless someone has an underlying medical issue with regard to it."

After 7 years working in the medical field (RN) and having a comprenhensive knowledge in nutrition, I CAN SAFELY tell you, that based on scientific studies sugar is related to weight increase and obesity.
    Linkhttps://reading.ac.uk/news-and-events/releases/PR626778.aspx

Other evidence of this is the WHO and AHA guidelines about daily sugar intake. cbsnews.com/news/world-health-organization-lowers-sugar-intake-recommendations/
    Here you can see how they recommend for a normal person around 25 grams of sugar per day. So, do the math about which percentage an Odwalla bar if it contains 17 grams of sugar. (I'll tell you, 68% of your daily dose)

"but the body doesn't care where the sugar is from"
    Sorry to tell you, but it does care. There are two types of sugars, monosaccharides and disaccharides. And this sugars are easily absorbed by your body into your bloodstream.
    In other hand we have the polisaccharides (fiber and starch), that are composed for long chains of monosaccharides, so the body has to break them down to incorporate them to the bloodstream (taking more time to be absorbed).

So, with this as a base, and again, based on studies, the fast absorbed carbohydrates are related to Diabetes type 2 and overweight. But, for the simple sugars it is an exception, and it is its source.
    Simple sugars can be refined or natural. The refined ones are just sugar, the natural ones are sugars, vitamins, fibers... And guess what?, the natural fiber slows the absorption of this simple sugars.

This means that your body is going to absorb more slow the 10 grams of sugar present in dates than the 10 grams of sugar "added" in a protein bar.

Here you can find information about this.
    healthyeating.sfgate.com/good-bad-sugars-7608.html

I also recommend you to watch the documentary called "fed up"

BTW this is also my first post, (189 less than you) and I have given you several scientific based facts about my words.
    So, next time that you want to criticize somebody (in this case astateoflinzi), be informed about what you are saying.

PS: if you want to rebate something that I have said, please, attach a link to the source of your information as I have done.
  • psoasi
    Options
    And BTW, refined sugars are awful. Other kind of carbohydrates (pasta, bread, fruit, dairy...) if the have not been processed before, they are the best option to fulfill the daily dose of carbohydrates.

And believing that refined sugars are fine, that is the wrong approach to any weight loss diet.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Yay @psoasi!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    psoasi wrote: »
    And BTW, refined sugars are awful. Other kind of carbohydrates (pasta, bread, fruit, dairy...) if the have not been processed before, they are the best option to fulfill the daily dose of carbohydrates.

And believing that refined sugars are fine, that is the wrong approach to any weight loss diet.

Nothing wrong with refined sugars. Been eating them daily and have lost 43 pounds. Thinking there are "good foods" and "bad foods" is the wrong approach to getting on a path to a healthy, sustainable relationship with food that will allow you to not only lose, but keep it off for good.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options

Making your own is a perfectly reasonable alternative. Would likely be cheaper too, after an initial upfront cost.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Making your own is a perfectly reasonable alternative. Would likely be cheaper too, after an initial upfront cost.

Not to mention will probably taste better as well. I keep saying I'm going to do that . . . but I'm stuck on Quest.
  • psoasi
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with refined sugars. Been eating them daily and have lost 43 pounds. Thinking there are "good foods" and "bad foods" is the wrong approach to getting on a path to a healthy, sustainable relationship with food that will allow you to not only lose, but keep it off for good.

Just a website where you can find some info
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/magazine/sugar-and-salt/
    • In children, one sweetened beverage a day fuels a 60 percent increase in the risk of obesity—and American teenaged boys drink almost three times that much
    • In 2004, the Nurses’ Health Study found that women who had one or more servings a day of a sugar-sweetened soft drink or fruit punch were nearly twice as likely to develop type 2 diabetes as those who rarely imbibed these beverages.

• Maxematics
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    psoasi wrote: »

Thank you. I'm glad someone I often see around these forums understands what it is I'm trying to say. I never said to eat all the sugar in the world that you want, regardless of your weight loss goals, but a diet that includes refined sugar is not going to stop someone from losing weight. The reason why so many people fail at weight loss is because they read online that sugars are the enemy and they try to restrict everything, leading to binges and subsequent weight gain. Everything we eat should be in moderation and having some added sugars in our diet is not going to be detrimental to weight loss. Weight loss itself is purely mathematical; calories in vs calories out. Moderation is key and that is how you establish a healthy relationship with food instead of labeling foods good/bad and fearing them. Of course studies come out that tell us how bad sugar is. First tomatoes cause cancer, then they don't, then we should drink eight glasses of water daily, then we shouldn't. People are constantly looking for excuses of why they cannot lose weight instead of the truth: "Hey, you, you eat too damn much!" There's a post within the first few pages of the General sub-forum where someone states "I eat so healthy, how did I gain weight?" You can eat all of your calories in raw, unprocessed foods, but if you're not eating at a deficit, you're not going to lose weight.

Anyway, it wasn't my intention to hijack OP's thread with a debate. I make my own protein bars all the time and I don't disagree with OP giving that a try sometime, but the first sentence in the reply was "Odwalla bars have tons of sugar in them." That's not helpful to the OP and may make her feel discouraged about her choice of food. It was basically writing off her choice of food as bad. She wanted to know where to buy Odwalla bars or where to buy alternatives for them. An Odwalla bar is still a better choice than a pack of Skittles.

Yep, my initial reply was blunt, but that's the way it is. I'm not going to bother replying to someone who:
    1. Has two posts, both of which are in this thread.
    2. Has one MFP friend, which happens to be the person who I initially responded to.
    3. Possibly flagged my post simply for disagreeing with its content and/or in retaliation for what I said to their friend; that's not what the flag button is for.

I have a very healthy diet which also includes some refined sugars. I'm 5'3.5" and 118 pounds. My BF%, when last checked, was 22. I'll take that experience as proof of consuming refined sugar not being detrimental to my goals, thanks.
  • psoasi
    Options
    I love the use of the demagogy.

Let's be clear.

You are right, I have 3 comments (4 with this), I have one friend and yes, she is my wife.
    But, I also still have a BSN in Nursing, 7 years + of experience in the medical field and extensive knowledge in health subjects. I am sorry if that is not enough for you to take on count my supported words.

I respect that you and MommyL2015 have a diet including refined sugars and that you do not give them any importance. I just do not share it and I already stated why. Now, people have two opinions and the references to make their own choices.

And recovering the original subject of this post,
    astateoflinzi gave PookyYoung an alternative, thing that PookyYoung ask for in her question.

(FYI I did not flagged your post, I have never considered that it deserves it so)