Hungry in the evenings...help!

Options
I've been on mfp for 100 days now and my sister decided to come back which I was thrilled! I know she has seen my progress and knows that she wants to lose the weight too. Now that its been her 1rst/2nd day of eating right she has trouble in the evenings. She said she is fine between the mornings and afternoons but its the evenings is where she is really hungry. I feel the same way at times and told her to drink a glass of water and have some fruits, veggies, possibly fiber filled foods.

I needed to get some ideas on what everyone else here eats to fill that void in the evenings? Both of us would gladly appreciate it :flowerforyou:

Replies

• unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Evenings after dinner? if that's the case I would recommend fruits and such. What is really great for me are Quaker Quakes. They are satisfying but only 100 calories for 1/3 of the bag.

If it's before dinner I would recommend a high fiber component to the meal to help fill her up a little more.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Is she eating three meals a day? Perhaps many smaller meals would help. Making sure one gets protein/fiber with every meal also helps you feel full longer.

If not that, she should look at WHY she eats at night (for me, it was usually because I was bored.) If it is boredom eating she should try to find something to occupy her that isn't food.
  • kyoske
    kyoske Posts: 16
    Options
    Well the answer of eating a little during the day to prevent late night hunger is the one I hear the most. In my psychology of desire class, I learned that your brain becomes acclimated to certain food at certain times, regardless of need. Basically because your brain/body is craving that good feeling you get when eating. This is something I struggle with constantly when I am in a show. After rehearsal I am drained of energy, and to get to sleep I need something to take the edge off. I rarely chose well, and so despite the extra activity I never lost weight. That is, until I decided to eat an evening salad. It's not sexy, not particularly fun, but it did the job. So I think salad or fruit is the best choice.

On insomnia nights, I tend to eat. I really have managed to stave off a lot of over eating by eating the Edy's frozen fruit bars. They are filling, fruitfilled, and great for a summer evening.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    One of the things I do when I am done eating for the night is brush my teeth. It kinds of tells me that I am done. After that I only drink water until I go to bed. Maybe this would help?
  • stephajo
    stephajo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I often have that problem and i've found that a bowl of cereal (I usually eat the Special K Fruit and Yogurt kind) really helps! Obviously a healthier cereal is better, but there are some good ones with fiber which help fill me up and there are plenty of yummy varieties! I've never been a huge cereal eater so it took a bit of work to choose that over less healthy options, but now i enjoy it :)
  • d_llopez
    d_llopez Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Good ideas. Thanks Guys keep it coming. I need fiber and i'm bored too. Thanks Sarah.
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Depends on what time she is getting hungry. For me, I noticed the same thing, but it was 10:00, I was really just tired, not hungry, so I started going to bed earlier. Can't eat if you are sleeping! Another trick I use is to brush my teeth when I just don't know what I want or I feel hungry, but shouldn't be.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Good idea. Thanks Guys keep it coming. I need fiber and i'm bored too. Thanks Sarah.

Your welcome sis :)

I definitely agree with certain times you feel accustomed to eating foods that make you feel good. I think its out of boredom as well...but overall its just being hungry so i try to eat a fiber bar to help curve it.
  • d_llopez
    Options
    Get hungry around 7 and i don't sleep till about 1 am
  • AnnThereseRN
    AnnThereseRN Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I am a nurse so my schedule makes it hard to eat right and exercise regularly. It doesn't matter if I have 3 square meals or more mini meals. I am always hungry in the evening, usually for something sweet. I have a few things in my back pocket for some cravings.

I think the key is protein. It keeps you fuller, longer.

My favorite snack is PB and banana sandwich: Nature's Own Light Whole Wheat bread slide (40 cal), 1/2 medium banana (70 calories), 2 Tbs Peanut butter (190 calories). Yes it's a 300 calorie snack, but its rich and filling with protein, fiber, and carbohydrates.

A low cal smoothie: 1/2 cup quartered strawberries (35 calories), 1/4 cup blueberries (20 calories), 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk (45 calories), 1/2 cup ice. A 100 calorie snack/dessert that has fiber, antioxidants, protein, and calcium.
  • cangel81603
    cangel81603 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Great ideas:)
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like to drink tea at night - decaf herbal. My favorite is vanilla honey chamomile. I add a little stevia to it. It makes me feel like I'm having a sweet treat and it fills my tummy. Takes a while to drink it, too. Another option is sugar free popsicles. My favorite are the sugar free philly swirls (only 14 cals). Other than that, I try not to eat after dinner. It's best to stop eating at least 3 hours before bed.
  • d_llopez
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. Time for some shopping :D